2jz-gte vvti in mk3

valhalla944

Dec 6, 2011
west phoenix
Ok so i have never messed with supra before... this is my first tuner.. have done Euro cars and American never Japanese... so to my question..

Im dropping a 2jzgte vvti into a89 supra square cross member.. what do I need to do the swap besides motor mounts?? Y do u need to splice the 2j harness to the 7m (please be specific and technical)?? What 7m harness do i need? I have a full 2j harness and ecu, do i have to splice the harness and if so where.. would i be able to bypass splicing the harness by going to a plug and play or standalone?? going to be using the A340E automatic trans.. where does the firewall need to be beaten back for the stock twins.. (if you have a pic of it that would be awesome).. im not sure what else has to be done.. anybody and everybody that has advice it'd be extremely appreciated.

i have read every page on the sticky about 2j swaps.. but was un anable to find the info i am looking for. also talked to gurley0916 and he gave me some helpful info..

CrazyHorse26

Formerly Puerto
Aug 2, 2011
Long Beach, CA
well as far as splicing a 2J harness to a 7M harness, thats a no go!!!! you'll need to extend the 2J harness using the same guage wires.bro....are you dropping the 2J in a ae89?

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
All your wiring need can be done by Dr.Tweak. Don't do it yourself if you are not good at wiring. Google "Phoenix Tuning" and give them a call.

Some people fit the twins perfectly fine others had to fit the firewall. Use 1JZ OEM mounts, you can find them in the classifieds, it places the motor exactly where it should be.

valhalla944

Dec 6, 2011
west phoenix
I read that since it is an earlier model89supra non turbo that u need the swap mounts from bic. Im not the best at elctrical so ya ill be having someone do the splice for me..problem is i dont know what harness I need.. the car doesn't have the motor or 7m engine harness.. is that the harness i need?? Or do I need the 7mgte harness?? Is there any in phx az that can do it..

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Sorry, in that case, get the swap brackets from DM BUT if you have the resources to swap an 89 round mount subframe, do it. It will place the motor in the best spot.

valhalla944

Dec 6, 2011
west phoenix
Dm ? ? So what exactly is the difference between the square n round??? Just cuz I am the kinda guy that has to know why these things must be done.. would u be able to explain what it is that is spliced..

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
It is just the design, square or round. Use the corresponding mount.

You have the splice in certain body plugs so it can turn on your relays and other electronics. Send it to Tweak and don't worry about it.

valhalla944

Dec 6, 2011
west phoenix
Well im definitely gonna send it out.. I dont wanna burn up the harness lol.. I just didn't quite understand y it had to be spliced.. but I guess it makes sense Wit the really n what not.. what harness do i need.. I have the 2j harness n ecu so what else will I need?? Is there anyone else that does it besides tweak (no offense to him) just I dont wanna send it out lol

kneedragger85

Sep 9, 2008
Boulder, CO
valhalla944;1783403 said:
Well im definitely gonna send it out.. I dont wanna burn up the harness lol.. I just didn't quite understand y it had to be spliced.. but I guess it makes sense Wit the really n what not.. what harness do i need.. I have the 2j harness n ecu so what else will I need?? Is there anyone else that does it besides tweak (no offense to him) just I dont wanna send it out lol
The 2JZ harness is far from plug-n-play for the MKIII Supra. Nothing matches up. You need a 7M harness (doesn't matter if turbo or not) that fits all your dash plugs and engine bay plug. Then, the 7M harness will be spliced into the 2JZ harness so the 2JZ can get power and work like normal.

valhalla944

Dec 6, 2011
west phoenix
Ok.. thanx for the added info.. when I say plug n play im talkin like the aem series 2 ecu.. ya im probly gonna delete the vvti on it anyways.. so any 7m harness will work.. ok that helps alot .. is it the body harness or engine harness that ill need??

CRsupraiii

Oct 24, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Val does your car not have a body harness in it.... ? You need the engine harness that corresponds to the plugs which your car should have. As with most things on the MK3 89 was the change-over year... But you have square mounts so it's anyone's guess. If I were you I would start taking mad pics (especially plugs on your car) and get then up here ASAP so people can give you real answers.

- Joe
Sent from my iPhone

valhalla944

Dec 6, 2011
west phoenix
i got the car and it does not have a motor or wiring harness.. thats part of the reason ive been asking so much about it.. thats a great idea.. ill get some pics of the plugs on here in the nxt day or so..

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
VVTi'n, CA
www.kaizenmotorsport.com
IBoughtASupra;1783803 said:
Why would you delete the VVT-I? I am not really sure that makes sense.

I'm with him on this... Why delete?

You need to go to the right resource for this swap. I've done it, With factory 2jz vvti ecu, 7M AEM and 7M harness on a 2jz VVTi, it can be done, we have done it. I can make the harness you will need. There is a lot of ways of doing the harness. Send me a PM with your ideas and we can chat in more detail.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
^ +1.... We've done this swap before. I did it w/a stock '99 JDM Supra ECU. Almost all aftermarket ECUs have the ability to address VVTi/wasted spark. The technology is good... it will actually be more work for you to delete than not.

Also, there are several threads on Supraforums and on ClubLexus that address alot of the questions you may have. Supraforums.au is also a great source. Those guys gave me all kinds of info, when there was very little available 6+ years ago.

valhalla944

Dec 6, 2011
west phoenix
hey thanx for tips guys... the reason i thought of deleting vvti was because i thought of going with some very aggresive cams and an AEM series 2 plug n play.. i was told that the vvti would not be supported thru an aftermarket ecu.. i havent really dealt with any vehicles newer then 91.. so im not entirely familiar with obd2 and how everything works and interacts together (other than for emissions, fuel trims, readiness monitors, codes, etc..)

mjsn1

Oct 18, 2009
Qatif
we mounted a 1jzgtevvti on a pre 89 and used a 2jzgtevvti harness and ECU and other stuff, and it works. as for the inside of the car i think that its the same as the 2jzgte

zolpix

Supra in the making...
Jul 19, 2008
New Zealand
valhalla944;1785979 said:
hey thanx for tips guys... the reason i thought of deleting vvti was because i thought of going with some very aggresive cams and an AEM series 2 plug n play.. i was told that the vvti would not be supported thru an aftermarket ecu.. i havent really dealt with any vehicles newer then 91.. so im not entirely familiar with obd2 and how everything works and interacts together (other than for emissions, fuel trims, readiness monitors, codes, etc..)
Why not use an ecu that supports vvti?