2JZ-GTE block prep for stock HG

jdemara

Apr 28, 2008
North Delta
Hey all

Just want some good advice as to how to get the best possible finish on the block surface for a new stock head gasket. The head has already been removed and machined. As far as the block goes, scrape all leftover gasket material off with a razor blade, and then sand it? If so, with what grit? Any special techniques?

After surface is clean, what is an acceptable limit when checking for flattness?

Thanks everyone for your input.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Just follow what the 93-98 Supra TRSM says. Scrape with a razor blade and I'm sure there is a procedure for checking straightness. Not sure about flatness tho. If the block is out, I'd have the machineshop clean it up. My machineshop honed(?) the cylinders, measured tolerances, replaced freeze plugs, and micrpolished a crank for about $100.

Razor blade and a solvent (Acetone, mineral spirits, etc) id all I've ever used, other times.

Good luck.

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
I'd be careful with a razor blade. The stock head gasket is metal and the head needs to be prepped for cometic style gasket.

I just did mine with some 550 Emory cloth on a sanding block that is the full width of the motor. I sprayed some PB blast and used that to lubricate the cloth. That got 95% of if. I followed that with some 1500 and 2000 grit on a block of wood with motor oil for lube and spent about 30 minutes working it with that.

I also followed that up with some chlorinated carb cleaner to remove any grease or oil from your fingers from the top of the block, bottom of the head and both sides of the head gasket.

*NOTE* Make sure you clean every bit of lube or liquid out of the head bolt holes before putting your studs in.