2jz-ge>distributerless ignition

jammasterstan

Sep 5, 2008
Cincinnati
I currently have a 2jz with a distributor and I was looking to convert it over to distributorless ignition so when I go with a turbo later on I wont need to change it over then. In short Im looking to see what all Im going to need to convert it over, I know Im going to need a CPS and coil packs but is there anything ill have to do with my stock 2jz ecu to do the conversion?

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
I'm not exactly sure how or if it will work with a 2JZGE ECU, but if you haven't looked yet, I would try to find the info on clubna-t.com . I woud think for sure 7M CPS/Coil packs and an ignitor. You could use the IS300 coils also.

StiCk3

Apr 25, 2009
->IN<-
jmcboost;1336826 said:
I'm not exactly sure how or if it will work with a 2JZGE ECU, but if you haven't looked yet, I would try to find the info on clubna-t.com . I woud think for sure 7M CPS/Coil packs and an ignitor. You could use the IS300 coils also.

I've seen two setups that run 7M CPS, coils, ignitor, but the ECU was used as well. Both of these setups were turbos.

jammasterstan

Sep 5, 2008
Cincinnati
alright, ill check there to see if anybody has done this before, I know people have done this before because i have never seen a turbo manifold for a GE head that will work with a distributor because it gets in the way.

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
Here is a thread on Clubna-t about trying this out:

http://forum.clubna-t.com/showthread.php?t=2952.

I'm sure somehow it can be done, but it may be easier to use a stock 7MGTE ecu and harness with a 2JZGE-t setup then to try and make a stock 7MGTE CPS work with a 2JZGE ECU. If you find some info that says otherwise, post it up because I'm also interested in how its done and how well it works.

ihiryu

Jul 12, 2008
TX
why don't you just go and use 7mgte electronics? A lot of people have done it and it works great.

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
I'd recommend just going with a standalone ECU.

There is no easy way to do it with the 2JZGE ECU. 7MGTE is your other option, as already stated.

jammasterstan

Sep 5, 2008
Cincinnati
well I find that hard to believe that its easier to go with 7m electronics when the Supra TT and the lexus IS300 come stock with distributorless ignition, so wouldn't I be able to just use the parts from either of those vehicles to make this work?

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
You could probably use a 2JZGTE ECU but then you have to convert the CPS to a CAS signal for the GTE ECU. Remember the 2JZGE does not have a crank angle sensor spot but a spot for a MK3 CPS. I'm not sure on an IS300 ECU. You may run into problems if it is VVTI, but it may be better then a GTE ECU. I think after all the head ache, you'll find that a standalone will be worth the money.

blackgamer16

Supra Driver
Apr 27, 2005
Sooner Country
A guy got it working on supraforums, he custom welded two "bungs" for the Cam angle sensors and just added a TT oil pump/ IS 300 oil pump for the Crank Sensor and hard wired it to his ECU.

If you really wanted to do that you can just buy a TT head/ 1jz Head with Harness and have Dr tweak modify your harness but WHY do that...

When you can just run 7m electronics, add the IS300 coils and boost it from there ,and just pick up an 7m AEM and now any power is obtainable depending on your tuner and obviously your mods. Plus if your Pre89 your AEM would be cheaper than the 2jz and don't have to worry with the wiring mess.

Note: all the guys statements above know well about the distributor less setup and they're trying to save you a whole lot of money when the results be pretty much the same unless you just like spending more money::shrug::

Also whats your power goal- If your not going to make serious hp over 500whp- no need to ditch the distributor since its been proven to do that(search NA section on Supraforums/ clubNa-t.org). Unless it gets in the way of installing a bigger turbo and the 7m CPS will give you that extra clearance.

Last edited:

jammasterstan

Sep 5, 2008
Cincinnati
well i havn't made a horsepower goal persay but i do know what parts I want to put on it. like I know I want a gt35r as a turbo here in the near future but I'm still unsure of the amount of horse power ill get. for my purposes I dont look for as much horsepower as suspension because im looking to do gymkana and drifting so I would be fine with 400 HP but the more the marrier. in any since back to the subject I'll be going with an aftermarket ECU in the future probably AEM but im still looking at other options.

but after seeing this i may go with a 2jz gte head and just build it before I put it on with the 35r

blackgamer16

Supra Driver
Apr 27, 2005
Sooner Country
jammasterstan;1345757 said:
well i havn't made a horsepower goal persay but i do know what parts I want to put on it. like I know I want a gt35r as a turbo here in the near future but I'm still unsure of the amount of horse power ill get. for my purposes I dont look for as much horsepower as suspension because im looking to do gymkana and drifting so I would be fine with 400 HP but the more the marrier. in any since back to the subject I'll be going with an aftermarket ECU in the future probably AEM but im still looking at other options.

but after seeing this i may go with a 2jz gte head and just build it before I put it on with the 35r

Ge will def get you into the 400 area with ease on the stock electronics. Not sure if you'll run into some clearance problems w/ the gt35r but searching at either forum listed above should give you your answer.

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
RazoE;1345438 said:
can't he just use VVTI 2JZ coils..?

The 2JZGE ECU doesn't have outputs for 3 different coils (for wasted spark 2JZVVTI coils).

Yes he can use the coils, but not on the 2JZGE ECU. He'd have to use an ECU that was compatible with coil packs.