2j smacking noise

tromspert

Oct 19, 2014
PA
2j upper noise: http://youtu.be/TDUj2BysXdY

Was driving home from work. This noise started. Now whenever I use the throttle it sounds like this. I'm kind of worried but if anyone has any suggestions at all please let me know
Its my daily driver and I have work tomorrow stop any suggestions would really help.

dirosa

Apr 9, 2011
Toronto
I can't identify the sound, but I'd start looking at the oil. Drain it and look for metallic particles. Maybe pop the valve covers and check the valve lash too

tromspert

Oct 19, 2014
PA
dirosa;2043589 said:
I can't identify the sound, but I'd start looking at the oil. Drain it and look for metallic particles. Maybe pop the valve covers and check the valve lash too
The oil looks pretty clean when I check the dipstick. Theres been no noticable performance difference and its boosting fine. I didnt want to pop the valve covers because of my manifold being over it unless I had to. I was thinking there might be a valve issue so I'm obviously not going to drive it but I had to get it home. It sounds like a tapping and then as rpms increase it almost feels like something hitting off the top of the valve cover. A friend said possibly a broken spring but idk. I'm open to any suggestions and will probably have to wait until monday to get to the top end. Anyone think of any other possibilities let me know

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
I think the noise come from the bottom end.
On the top end it would be half beats per minute. I'm not sure a broken valve spring or a popped valve shim would make this noise.

Check for a bent crankcase.
If not, it sound like rod knock or a bent rod.

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Pop your belt off and spin your tension pulley. If it spins freely that might be your problem. It happened to my 2jzgte and scared the crap out of me. I don't know if it transfers over to a ge though. Worth checking.

tromspert

Oct 19, 2014
PA
S.A. supra;2043636 said:
Pop your belt off and spin your tension pulley. If it spins freely that might be your problem. It happened to my 2jzgte and scared the crap out of me. I don't know if it transfers over to a ge though. Worth checking.
Yes it would be worth checking. Thank you for that, I always go to the worst possibility in my head.

tromspert

Oct 19, 2014
PA
would I still have plenty of power and it run almost normal despite the noise?
and anyone know where I can get another ge bottom end? i'm na-t with the 2j. There are very few locally