250GB hard drive successfully running on Pioneer DEH-P690UB indash CD/MP3 player!

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
A great alternative to a car PC if you just want all your music at your fingertips. The Pioneer DEH-P690UB head unit has a built-in USB port/cable on the back, which can read USB drives up to 250GB. So I bought:

1 Pioneer DEH-P690UB head unit $189
1 Western Digital 250GB 3.5" ATA hard drive $72 locally
1 Coolmax 15314 USB ATA External hard drive enclosure $33.88 at Amazon.com
1 Sharp 12v Regulator Digikey part#425-2287-5-ND $1.71
1 Heatsink Digikey part#345-1021-ND $0.60
1 Thermal pad Digikey part#345-1080-ND $0.53
1 generic PCB board with copper pads (radio shack)
1 small plastic project case (radio shack)

The Pioneer deck can put out up to 500ma via USB, and it could not power up my 0.7 amp laptop hard drive in its external case, so I figured external power was the only way to do this reliably.

I chose the coolmax case because it only requires a single 12v input, unlike most others that have two ports for 12v and 5v. I opted to use the Sharp voltage regulator to maintain a constant 12v for the safety of the hard drive. I soldered this chip to the PCB board with the heatsink attached and the thermal pad in between(instead of white head-sink grease), then glued board into the case with holes drilled to vent heat.

Important notes! :

- This head unit ONLY reads USB drives in FAT32 format, which sucks because it is highly inefficient and requires software like Powerquest Partition Magic to format drives to FAT32 (Windows will not do this)
- Because the FAT32 format is so inefficient, my 250GB drive became 191GB after formatting. I figure that at 320GB hard drive would show around 249GB so it might work with this deck.
- You can ONLY use mp3's or wma's. I was hoping for uncompressed .wav capability but it cannot.
- Sound quality is NOT as good as on the old high-end pioneer decks. I pulled out my old Pioneer DEHP-9400 CD player which had a Burr-Brown D/A converter, and the difference is rather noticeable if you are an audiophile using top-notch speakers. It sounds a bit more thin and digital with a higher noise floor than an audiophile head unit. Most people won't know the difference but audiophiles will.
- My hard drive has my entire CD collection at only 40GB of mp3's at 320kbps bit rate, so even an 80GB drive is plenty for me. The head unit will show "format read" for about 25-45 seconds every time I turn the ignition on. Once this is done, access to the hard drive mp3's is instantaneous if changing from radio or CD, or off. If major changes have been made to the drive or if it is the first time connecting it, it can take several minutes to scan the drive. The cool thing is, you can play a CD or listen to the radio or even have the deck off(but getting ignition power), and it will scan the drive in the background.

Pioneer currently offers high-end sound quality decks with the famed Burr-Brown D/A converter but no USB capability. I'm crossing my fingers that the 2008 lineup will offer a deck with all these features. Hopefully Alpine or Pioneer will offer this.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
It is the COOLEST thing to hit random play and have an endless mix of your favorite music only.

The drive just sits in the glove box, and I can take it in the house to add or change files. I have a heavy duty sub system, and this rig has not skipped once.
hd3.jpg

You can easily navigate folders and sub-folders just like on a PC
hd2.jpg

I didn't take a photo of the completed voltage regulator, but here's a photo of the parts, including a chip I fried by accident :)
hd1.jpg

Last edited:

Cravin Boost

MMMM Smells like coolant
Nov 8, 2005
Eugene OR
looks great BUT. ( and I am not saying you didn't do it right or well)

Your drive will not live long. the everyday driving bumps and knocks will significantly lower your drives life expectancy. personally i would use am IPOD which is designed to be bumped and what not. you can get a 360 GB Ipod yea costs a little more but in the long run thats gonna be the best bet. I use an alpine with an Ipod and only have a 20Gb Ipod which is enough music to drive for months (back and forth to work) and never hear the same song.

osama1234

Noob
Jun 30, 2007
vancity
@ Cravin: AFAIK the ipod is basically just a harddrive too, they may have put the harddrive in a rubbery case, but i think its all the same. I think if tekdeus put some rubbery thing around it, it probably would be equivalent.

Its funny, i was just thinking that in the morning, i was just thinking of somehow hooking up a USB JumpDrive, i mean 1 Gb is all i really need.

@ Tekdeus; Is your car still in the workshop (as it seems in your sig) or is it on the road, i really am keeping my eyes open for it (a car with a sleepy HID conversion and fancy rear lights).

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
Thanks for the tips, perhaps some foam around the drive will help a lot. A laptop drive would probably be better, and you can get 5v Sharp voltage regulators. For now I'm using an old spare 80GB hard drive since 250GB is way more than I'll need for mp3's. I'll use the 250GB drive for video work.

This deck can also run an Ipod or any USB drive like a jump drive. You can have the USB or Ipod cable in the glove blox, it comes with the deck.

Osama1234, my Mk3 car is still in the shop (driving my Mk2 now) but should be going in for paint next week and will most likely be done in January. I'll be posting lots of pics!

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
This might be a dumb question but couldn't you just plug in a flash drive to the usb port?? You can get 8 gig flash drives, who needs more than 500 songs in there car anyway??

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
Down but not out said:
This might be a dumb question but couldn't you just plug in a flash drive to the usb port?? You can get 8 gig flash drives, who needs more than 500 songs in there car anyway??

Ever watch tooltime. Half the stuff us guys do doesn't make sense.:biglaugh:

Cravin Boost

MMMM Smells like coolant
Nov 8, 2005
Eugene OR
osama1234 said:
@ Cravin: AFAIK the ipod is basically just a harddrive too, they may have put the harddrive in a rubbery case, but i think its all the same. I think if tekdeus put some rubbery thing around it, it probably would be equivalent.

Its funny, i was just thinking that in the morning, i was just thinking of somehow hooking up a USB JumpDrive, i mean 1 Gb is all i really need.

yup yup but like I said its designed to be bumped around a bit HDDs are not designed that way. The head on a HDD can be caused to crash by smoke (thats how close the head is to the platter) and yea a 8 or 16 Gig jump drive would work great. I like the IPOD cause its familier and the Alpine deck I have is just like I was useing the Ipod. I built a holder into my console so its outasight outa mind. good thing about thumbdrives is they are flash memory no moveing parts :). I think I hvae 2700 songs on the ipod and genreally just pick an artest and listen to them till they are done then pick another. Been listening to metalica for a lil over a weel now.

robitrice1921

Apr 11, 2007
MA
im happy i just saw this. i plan on doing the same thing with my car. im buying a external hard drive in the next month or so and i have the same pioneer head unit, which buy the way is more than spectacular. This pretty much put me over the edge as far as doing this. great post, i hate CDs

robitrice1921

Apr 11, 2007
MA
I just bought a Western Digital My Book external Hard Drive to do the same thing you are doing. However im having problems with the hard drive communicating with the stereo. My head unit is the Pioneer DEH6900. I have all my music sorted out on my computer but whenever i put them on the hard drive and plug it in to the deck it says no audio. Im assuming i h ave to convert all my music. Any help form you would be great, since your setup is pretty much the same. thanks

robitrice1921

Apr 11, 2007
MA
with the partition magic thing, will it guide me through formatting into FAT32? i am horrible at this stuff lol. How would i go about getting partition magic, or could i have "per say" circuit city or something do the formatting for me? im sure this is tedious for you but im really thankful for it, truly.

robitrice1921

Apr 11, 2007
MA
sry forgot something, once it is formatted to FAT32, is it simply copy and paste onto the drive and then plug and play?

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
Actually, I have a better idea which I will try for my Mk3! I have a laptop drive in an external case that has 2 USB cords, but one just supplies extra power(5v). For my other car, I'm planning to use this and power it with a 5v adaptor like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/12-5V-Car-cigar...ryZ57242QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
These can supply around 1 amp and the drive only needs 0.7 amps. I think this is the easiest option and lets you use a smaller drive which is designed to take more vibration.

Other good news, some of the 2008 head units are coming out, and it looks like Alpine finally got their heads out of their asses and offer a drive with USB capability. I'm hoping that one or the new pioneer high-end models have USB and better sound quality than my current deck, because that is the only thing that is lacking.

The iPod is the simplest option, if you have one, they are plug and play with this deck, but they are much more $ than a USB hard drive.

Last edited: