240sx or Supra?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Shane;1949189 said:
I would love a miata unfortunately I'm 6'4 and won't fit. Same reason I can't drive an FC.
There are solutions for that man, such as lowering the seat mounting points, modifying the foam in the seat itself, aftermarket seats, etc.

Hell, even a booster seat would work in your case. Then you can see OVER the windshield. :rofl:

hey...it runs;1949207 said:
So that leaves the Supra vs. The miata. While this thread has dramatically increased my appreciation for miatas, they really just remind me of my N/A Supra I drive now. Although their budget friendliness and reliability factors are very appealing.
You know, I owned my NB at the same time as my NA. The Miata was a lot more fun, and generally faster 0-75mph. 75+ though, the Supra finally started to be able to carry it's speed better. Similar in more ways than most people understand, for sure. I'd recommend saving your money, keeping the Supra, and *maybe* buying a turbo Supra or Miata down the line when you can truly afford it. If you haven't already, read that "how to live with a Supra" link in my signature. That explains my situation a few years ago, in similar shoes. :)

hey...it runs;1949207 said:
So the verdict as of now, unless I find a killer deal on a miata, is a Turbo Supra. Now I just have to find one for <$3k. Any honest opinions on this decision?
A $3k Miata is going to be MUCH more reliable than most any $3k turbo Supra you find these days. Read how many intro threads we've had over the years, and see where various members have made it with their cars.

Not to be a naysayer (enough dedication will take you places, but reality is reality for most of us), but I'd be willing to bet only 1 of 100 people who start with a cheap turbo car still have a cheap turbo car a year later. Assuming they even still have it, of course. ;)

At the end of the day, it's tempting to have a faster car, but ask yourself, can you afford both a fast car and a reliable daily driver? If not, stick with what you have, and resist the urge to modify it.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
hey...it runs;1949340 said:
That's encouraging. Any tips on where to look? And my N/A was stolen too. That was long before I owned it though.

look anywhere and everywhere... my N/A was purchased with the help of a personal friend (supra guru) that's not his name or anything, just what he is, someone he knew was selling it. old guy owned it, always kept up with maintenance. my current 89 turbo was bought from a personal friend. he drove it every week or so but wasn't really doing anything with it, had a kid on the way and needed $$ so really, all you have to do is find someone that needs to get rid of their car (or wants to bad enough) and offer them a good enough price.

gonna go ahead and say in reply to the response above. my 2.5k supra has been more reliable than most cars would've been at this point, considering abuse levels, power levels, age, mileage, ect. GRANTED you did say MOST, and also GRANTED my car basically has a brand new engine, clutch, and brakes. everything else has 150,000 miles. some minor issues have presented themselves (like frayed wires) but nothing remotely serious.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Insidious Surmiser;1949643 said:
gonna go ahead and say in reply to the response above. my 2.5k supra has been more reliable than most cars would've been at this point, considering abuse levels, power levels, age, mileage, ect. GRANTED you did say MOST, and also GRANTED my car basically has a brand new engine, clutch, and brakes. everything else has 150,000 miles. some minor issues have presented themselves (like frayed wires) but nothing remotely serious.
The cars themselves were really, REALLY well built, you are correct. They'll hold up to quite a bit of abuse before calling it quits. However, you've clearly maintained your car. My point was that a LOT of the cheaper Supras on the market (and even some of the more pricey ones for that matter), have not been so fortunate. ;)

I'll not lie either. My 89 with the 1j swap has pretty much everything you could ask for in a typical, used sports car, and has been for the most part, trouble free. However, before that swap, the thing was a nightmare of previous owner issues...