24 year old Tomato Soup

Dave46

Why Not?
Nov 10, 2014
CT
Tomato Soup​

Backstory:
I Traded my e46 bmw for a red 91 Targa Turbo without half an idea of what I was about to get myself into. I had always loved the mk3 supras but I just knew I wanted a car I could work on without dealing with any special tools or over-complicated German engineering. I've done some work on friend's cars, general maintenance and simple boltons but have never pulled or torn an engine apart and gotten my hands REALLY dirty. My father had a horrible experience with his car at a local body shop a few years back and from then on I had vowed that none of my cars would ever see the hands of a mechanic nor would I ever pay for any labor that I knew I could learn to do myself. I figured my skills would progress as I learned more about my car and any modifications I wanted to do.

The car
KTuhaRU.jpg

bN3mRSx.jpg

I enjoyed the car without having to do more than to replenish my oil due to a small leak from the cps and fill it up with gas. The previous owner had done a MHG with the block and head decked, along with ARP headware. Along with that added security came a 3in turbo back exhaust, 3in dp, intake, afpr, walrboro 255 and all the gauges I would ever want to look at. I had long term plans of maybe going with a 1 or 2jz but it was all just dreaming. Coming back from my first supra meet, I had noticed the oil pressure dropped to a significantly low level and I immediately pulled over, let the car cool down a bit and filled up the oil-thirsty 7M. When I started it up to get back onto the freeway, I noticed a tapping sound coming from the motor at 1-2k RPMS and as soon as I reached around 3k the sound would disappear. My heart dropped in my chest when it finally hit me, I've began to experience the dreaded rod knock I have so read about. I had only owned the car for a few weeks! Lets fast forward another few weeks or so. The knocking had slowly started to become more noticeable, I tried to drive it as little as possible but it was my only way to get around. While slowing down to a stop at a light, I heard the worst metal on metal grinding sound. The car stalled and to my dismay would absolutely not crank over. No leaks or smoke of any kind, just a dead stop. After a few minutes of cursing the world and supra gods, I got the car towed home and I began to troubleshoot. After a bit of research and fiddling around, it became clear the motor would not even crank/turn over by hand. The motor had seized and I would later find that I had spun a bearing.

I figured the cost of rebuilding the motor and having any sort of machine work done would out cost buying another 7mgte and simply swapping it in. That I was prepared to take on. After a month or two of searching I was able to find the perfect 7mgte for $500, he kept the turbo and exhaust manifold... I got the rest. With the help of two friends, we were able to pull the motor with tranny, bolt the tranny to the new motor, swap over what we needed and get the new motor in within 2 days.

Snow (sorta cleaned off) getting ready for pull
KC2su3j.jpg

Pulling the motor(and destroying front bumper)
fx0uZvp.jpg

Obligatory shot (supra now powered by dave, no oil or bhg issues here, just a few screws loose)
TMZd7Ge.jpg

1/2 Way there!
ne60dsE.jpg

New motor in!
DExgVmk.jpg

Beautiful coil pack plug
m7GeQJl.jpg

Still not done
itppIV6.jpg

Laid in this puddle hooking up slave master cylinder
jJ72Bkb.jpg

This was a huge learning experience for me, actually tearing everything apart was fascinating. From there on, though, I was on my own. This process took about a month of about 30 hours of work per weekend (Saturday and Sunday) when I could come home from college. After repairing the brittle wires and plugs that were barely holding together with little strips of electrical tape, learning how the electrical system worked, when and what gets power, what needs to be grounded and where, I finally got the car to turn over and start.

A smile ran across my face and with eagerness as I filled up fluids, quadruple checked for any leaks/loose lines and set the ignition timing. I noticed the car was emitting light white smoke while it was warming up and I just dismissed it as just your average smoky start. I took it for a quick 2 minute spin up and down the street but the car ran poorly. The car began to emit a decent amount of white smoke so I quickly shut it off and began investigating. I knew white smoke was a sign of bhg so with the worst outcome in mind, I checked the oil cap. Sure enough, the interestingly colored buildup on the oil cap said it all. There also seemed to be some white smoke coming from where the block and head meet towards the back on the pass side.. so it could've only meant one thing. It was not the valve cover, I pulled and replaced the gaskets. Another thing to mention, the ct26 needs a rebuild.... The shaft play is unreal and the compressor wheel whines like an old faucet when coming to a stop after turning the car off.

Lets begin the teardown shall we?

d6q6PYx.jpg

I decided to start brainstorming on what direction I want to head in.
And so the build thread really begins here. Without a hp goal in mind, I'm aiming for reliability with the mentality of doing things once and doing them right.I don't want to play around and shoot the shit with numbers, once the car is tuned and running on a reliable and suitable daily-drivable map it'll go on the dyno and see where we're at.
Refresh hoses
Starter Relay Mod
New thermostat
New shifter bushings
Flush and change all fluids
Drilled and slotted rotors
CxRacing T61 Turbo
CxRacing Intercooler 2.5in piping
Lexus AFM
Denso 550cc Injectors
ECU Master DET3 Piggyback
ACT 6 Puck Clutch
Puke green to Black interior dye
Undecided brand of bucket seat
A much needed repainting, leaning towards either matador red mica (lexus paint) or jet black

Updates to come!!!

Last edited:

Dave46

Why Not?
Nov 10, 2014
CT
Suprapowaz!(2);2045626 said:
Pics of your old E46 please, and what was so wrong with it that you traded it for a MKIII!? Was the engine going out in that BMW?
Welcome to the forum.
31jR6Kw.jpg

eNPCzp6.jpg

Thanks! The engine had plenty of life the BMW had 126k miles on it if I remember correctly. I wanted to do a 2jz build, I had begun sourcing parts and was already in the "supra" mindset at that point.. Life had come up and unfortunately my funds were diverted elsewhere. I decided that a different and more suitable go-fast platform was in order. I looked at other cars, 240's, rx7, e36's and so forth but I fell in love with the supra when I drove it. Had 125k on the clock, turn key straight trade on both ends. The new owner of the e46 did inform me upon getting the car inspected the subframe was rusted out, he flipped the car and made a nice profit so it went in his favor anyways.

rokit1man;2045653 said:
I think black or red will look good for your mkiii. The red mica I think would look the best. IMO
That's what I was leaning towards as well. Planning to start prepping for paint work this summer.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Lmao when I read 24 year old tomato soup I was thinking alphabet soup.. read through the thread.. looked through your parts list.. kept thinking, come on where's the HKS goodies?? Then it hit me... Doh!

Dave46

Why Not?
Nov 10, 2014
CT
Backlash2032;2045760 said:
Lmao when I read 24 year old tomato soup I was thinking alphabet soup.. read through the thread.. looked through your parts list.. kept thinking, come on where's the HKS goodies?? Then it hit me... Doh!
Haha! HKS goodies would be nice!!

Suprapowaz!(2);2045770 said:
Uh, do you any other nice vehicles that you'd like to trade me for my '91 Supra turbo? Whatcha got?
Nope only have the supra! They're the same price range by the way, the e46's have devalued greatly. Especially the M3's.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I hope you've got a great set of tools..............you're going to need them.

Good luck with the car. They're fun to drive, but require an unlimited amount of funds.

Dave46

Why Not?
Nov 10, 2014
CT
miekedmr;2048491 said:
What happened to your upper radiator support?

Previous owner banged it up from swapping engines in and out. Made it easy for me when I pulled mine :)

suprahero;2048319 said:
I hope you've got a great set of tools..............you're going to need them.

Good luck with the car. They're fun to drive, but require an unlimited amount of funds.

You couldn't be more right, this might've been the biggest financial mistake I've ever made... but by far the most rewarding one. Hard not to keep a smile on my face when I'm driving!

Been awhile since I've posted, the car is back on the road! Will update with pics momentarily, but everything on the whats to come list has been accomplished. Got a tune on the new fuel map and running on MAP just need to wire up the IAT sensor. The DET3 is awesome...

pB6pOR4.jpg

Painted the engine bay with truck bed liner. I like how it came out!
mfsZndF.jpg

Also painted calipers!
aL8eGTi.jpg

Motor had to be sent out to a machine shop because after the motor was put together and running it wouldn't burp the air out of the coolant system and the head and block was warped... they took off five thousand...

Motor out AGAIN
eupIyzz.jpg

4IFb55K.jpg

Anyways, its running good now, with the ARPs, MHG and new seals everywhere I shouldn't see any problems for a while!
Looking to get dyno numbers and a tune for high boost once I sort out wheels and paint.

Before Coilovers:
CvM5r2q.jpg

After Coilovers:
rL9Z16x.jpg

Follow the PS leak to find my car!
nEgqSNm.jpg

Decided to go with MB Battles in matte gold, should get them sometime next week.
Unfortunately I'm blowing some smoke on decel, most likely the turbo seals.. Damn ebay turbos! It pulls good though.
Going to get a catch can and see how much it helps.

If anyone in the tri state area is looking for a good tune with guys that know their shit.. go to WayneSpeed in Jamaica NY... Wayne's an awesome dude and stayed late to make sure everything was perfect!

Last edited:

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Glad to hear that you got it all back together.
In my experience, the most common cause of power steering leaks, is the high pressure line.
I had to replace it on both of my cars.
You speedo cable issue is most likely the lower(short) section. Only like $20 from the dealer.

Dave46

Why Not?
Nov 10, 2014
CT
supraguy@aol;2059944 said:
Glad to hear that you got it all back together.
In my experience, the most common cause of power steering leaks, is the high pressure line.
I had to replace it on both of my cars.
You speedo cable issue is most likely the lower(short) section. Only like $20 from the dealer.

Yup thats exactly the one. Going to get the braided one off Driftmotion.
The speedo cable is actually broken in half at the lower section where it connects, so I think I need the full cable?

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
Hey man hope all is well and you get everything sorted out

Ive missed your build thread, didn't know you had one going

Dave46

Why Not?
Nov 10, 2014
CT
Everything's going well, didn't get to make it out to the supra meet over the weekend due to some wiring issues.
It's all fixed now though!

While it was off the road for a few days I decided to do a little bit of painting!
yvW6Ejg.jpg

yT2uOpV.jpg

Dave46

Why Not?
Nov 10, 2014
CT
Little update, got my new wheels on and an alignment finally!
Zto584y.jpg

MB Battles 18x8 245/35/18 up front and 18x9.5 275/35/18 in the back!

qRH7Zyv.jpg

Before:
1gdtITz.jpg

After:
Yy1kCL9.jpg

Also had some fun hooking up my launch control :D
[video]https://youtu.be/gNOkLBKlGQU[/video]