2008 Supra MKIII - Project 1BYDFALT

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
Ok guys, here’s my 1989 Supra project. I plan to restore this MKIII to NEW condition.

Background about the car:
I was driving around town one day and drove by this very clean supra, which caught my attention immediately. I wasn’t looking for one, as if I needed another one, but I pulled over to check it out anyways. They car looked even cleaner from closer. There were a few scratches and chips on the paint, as well as some dings. The rest of the car was perfect. Interior was MINT condition. Not one imperfection (well, except for the shift knob). Called the number on the FOR SALE sign and left a message. When they called back, we agreed to meet that weekend for a test drive. They car has 74K miles on it and still smells like NEW inside. 5spd, non turbo (which didn’t worry me, I have everything I need if I wanted to make it a stock turbo), TEMS suspension, hardtop (A biggie with me), it had all the goodies. I really liked the car standing still, so the next step was to take it for a spin. The drive was impressive, the rear struts were bad. The tranny shifted like no supra I’ve ever driven before, very smooth. I found myself in love again. I loved the car and although wasn’t looking for one, I decided to convince my wife anyways. That didn’t take long, so I was off to talk to the owner about $$$$$. She (Yes, a lady, which is not that common for supras) was a very nice person. It so happens she is very much into Supras. She had a MKII which was stolen and from what they told me, it was in MINT condition too. Anyways, we negotiated for a day or so. The next day, I cut $1,400 off the bill and the deal was done. Drove the car home, washed it and parked it in my headed garage (Baby has got to sleep warm) and didn’t do anything with it but sit in it for a couple of days. I was trying to vision what I wanted to do with this car. I certainly didn’t need it, and wasn’t sure why I bought it, but I couldn’t let this deal slide.

Changes:
While I was planning on what to do with the car, I decide to do a small project I wanted to do for a while, a Push Start/Stop engine button setup. This setup took me a while to setup, about a week. I wanted to use not just any button, but the Lexus push button. Due to the complexity of the button, I had to take it apart and figure out what each of the 11 pins did and how I can use them. After long hours of work and many wiring diagrams later, the system was complete. It didn’t work exactly the way I wanted it, but it worked none the less. I still have to rework the diagram to make a few changes. At the state the circuit is in, I don’t need any keys. Once I complete the system, it should work as follows: I will have a pager which controls the alarm system. With this pager I can operate the windows, doors, engine, etc. I will not need any keys. Once the system is disarmed, I will be able to use the push button to start/stop the engine. Here are a few pictures.

IMG_0010_small.jpg

IMG_0011_small.jpg

IMG_0013_small.jpg

IMG_0023_small.jpg

P.S – Yeah, that’s the original shift knob. It will be replaced eventually, but I will save this one anyways.

Project:

I will not give out the entire project at once, but I will note some details of the overall outcome of the project. The design idea took me months and months of going back and forth on an option and changing them, but now I now exactly what I want for this particular car.

Overall for this car I would like to see done, first, a paint color change. The car is currently midnight blue, but not for too long. I’m having it painted Jet black. The idea is to make this car as luxurious and sporty as possible without crossing each other over the limit. The car will be painted black ALL over (Engine bay, inside the doors, hatch, everything) New coating underbody, bushings, ALL SS bolts, powder coated sub frames and suspension parts color matched, etc. here are a few details:

Exterior:
Jet Black paint w/ matching molding and a chrome edge. Underbody is also getting stripped and coated.
Kinesis, HRE, or Work wheels
Front lip

Engine:
1JZ Custom Twin Turbo (aiming only for about 500hp, but unbelievable response, sort of like this: Click Here)
Custom Intake with ITBs
Customs 321 SS exhaust manifolds
Custom SS or Titanium exhaust. Possibly oval pipes.

Suspension:
HKS Hypermax II
EDIT:
I would really like to keep my TEMS, but haven't seen a kit to be able to lower the car more than just with lowering springs. If anyone knows of a good quality kit to retain the TEMS and have more adjustability, please let me know

Interior:
Custom black interior with suede inserts
Recaro bucket seats
Navigation system
Customized dash cluster using high output LED.

More to come. I will post pics later. Possibly tomorrow.

Last edited:

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
Ok guys, as promised. here are some more pics. I'll post some more pictures of the car being taken apart and all that shortly. I have really high res picture that I have to bring down to a smaller size. For now, here's a photochopped version of what I want the car to look like sort of. As you can see below, I also have a midnight blue as that was one of my color choices while I was trying to decide which way to go. I also photochopped many more pics which I'll try to post along. Some I didn't put too much effort into editing so, you're welcome to laugh.

Thanks for all the comments.

Here's the car all black with Work Equips
badassmkiii.jpg

Here's the car in midnight blue
badassmkiiiblue.jpg

Here's the car black with a chrome molding - Sorry, I'm not good turning black into chrome, so it looks a little out of place, but you get the idea. The actual size if the chrome strip is smaller.
badassmkiii_chrome_molding.jpg

Here's the car Indigo Ink Blue with chrome molding Trim and HREs 545
badassmkiiibluehre545.jpg

Last edited:

ChadMKIII

Yup, Thats The G/F
Jul 14, 2006
Bay Area, Ca
Lookin good!

Hey could you post up the diagrams for the push button? I'm super interested in that, and I love the Lex button.

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
Here's a quick diagram I put together while at work. I have others at home...incomplete as well. This can be used as a ground base. I will not be using the 7 Relay setup any longer, instead, I'll implement the use of AND/OR Gates and chips such as the Timer 555. I will post updates when I make any progress. I have tooooo many little projects like this. I should finish one of them before starting more :biglaugh:

relay_diagram.jpg

Last edited:

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
As promised, here are some pics while tearing the car apart...I apologize in advance as I suck at taking pictures. Most of the time I forget to take pictures that actually matter and end up taking some pictures that...well, suck.

Here's a picture of the car ALMOST in one piece.
IMG_0157_SMALL.jpg

These are the original Saw Blades wheels. Not using them, but I'll keep them anyways. There is no curb damage or anything, so they're worth keeping.
IMG_0159_SMALL.jpg

IMG_0164_SMALL.jpg

IMG_0165_SMALL.jpg

IMG_0166_SMALL.jpg

Front end Removed.
IMG_0327_SMALL.jpg

IMG_0328_SMALL.jpg

I'll post some more later as I take them and resize them. For now, here's a pic of my new toy!!!! Just got the trailer this afternoon. 4 wheel disc brakes and leaf style suspension. I'll take it apart summer time and have it repainted.

Here's when I picked it up
IMG_2515_SMALL.jpg

Here's when I got home...in one piece!!!
IMG_2526_SMALL.jpg

IMG_2528_SMALL.jpg

Last edited:

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
Making progress!!!! The main thing is to get the car completely disassembled and mount the mock-up engine to test the turbo setup and pipes, then get the car painted. I'll have the Front and Rear sub frames powder coated once the car is painted. Here's a little teaser pic. This is somewhat the color combo I want. Silver and purple. I tried the blue also to see how it looks.

This is NO where near a Supra supension by far - this is just a clean image I got from the net so that I can photoshop the colors I wanted
sus_proto.jpg

Here are some of the parts for the project. There's more under the table. Some I will not be using for this project any longer, but there's always a next project.

IMG_2101_SMALL.jpg

Here's my OEM bumper from TOYOTA - You're better off buying a body kit price wise, but I wanted the OEM look, so here it is.

IMG_2497_SMALL.jpg

OEM Hood latch. The one the car has is perfectly fine, but I just wanted a new one so the car looks as new as possible all around.

IMG_1428_SMALL.jpg

Here are some more shots while the car is coming apart.

OEM Fenders - Originals
IMG_0333_SMALL.jpg

Rear end disassembled
IMG_0339_SMALL.jpg

Working on the interior
IMG_0341_SMALL.jpg

IMG_0342_SMALL.jpg

Front Sub-frame, engine & Tranny out
IMG_0492_SMALL.jpg

IMG_0493_SMALL.jpg

IMG_0494_SMALL.jpg

Fender/Hood lines perfectly aligned
IMG_0673_SMALL.jpg

Engine bay almost disassembled
IMG_1153_SMALL.jpg

Brake lines (ABS), clutch - All out
IMG_1172_SMALL.jpg

All the wires and everything gets labeled and bagged
IMG_2177_SMALL.jpg

Underbody after first Pressure wash
IMG_2193_SMALL.jpg

Spare motor - for mock up
IMG_2258_SMALL.jpg

IMG_2260_SMALL.jpg

IMG_2506_SMALL.jpg

Rear Sub frame out
IMG_2441_SMALL.jpg

I'll post some more pics later on of the underbody coating.

Last edited: