2004 Honda CB 600 - Buy for $2000 ?

suav

Apr 20, 2007
Montana
:1zhelp: Hey, so I've been wanting a bike for awhile now.
I'd prefer a Hayabusa or something similar, but apparently I'd "probably kill myself" according to some friends and family ... probably true.
So I decided a 600 might be a better way to go for starters.

Well I was back in my hometown today and a friend knows a dealer from my old work who has an '04 Black/Yellow Honda CB-600 with 8000 miles, for $2000. It's a little scraped up and was ran hard, but still runs nice and I don't care much about how my first bike looks...

My friend says he was offering it for like $1500 and I could get it for that if I show some ca$h... which I can.

My questions are -

Is This A Good Deal?
Are These Good Bikes?
Could I Do Better For The Same Or Less?

Thanks!

Syris

Need Rust Repair
Aug 24, 2005
Bryan, OH /Lima, OH
Id be a little bit weary, for that is dirt cheap for a cbr600. If it is in good condition, BUY IT. You could easily turn that around for more. Hell my roommate would prolly pick it up, but hes tryin to get rid of his sled first

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Personally I would never buy a sport bike thats been 'ran hard'. It most likely spent more time on 1 wheel than 2. If its been dumped then theres chances of frame damage that you may not be able to notice.

I knew a guy on a bike forum that dumped his bike a few times and didnt think anything of it, because he couldnt See frame damage. Well eventually he was doing 100mph and jammed the brakes and crashed. Police reports say the frame gave out under the hard braking and the kid died.

So, not trying to scare you outa riding/buying a bike. Just dont take a huge risk with your first step. Its not like a car, any small issue with the bike you buy can have you eating the road.

Start small, old and cheap. You can find a great non-crotch rocket for under a grand in perfect(safe) form. Ride it a year and sell it for what you originally paid. Then again if you thought your first bike shoulda been a busa you prolly dont care what I have to say lol.

/soapbox

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
^ Agreed. If you've been riding dirtbikes and are confident w/ your riding abilities a 600 wouldn't be too bad. I started out on an 01 Ninja 250, probably the best thing i ever did. Super lightweight, comfortable, and super easy to maneuver.

Fear it, and you'll be fine. If you aren't afraid of it, you'll end up hurt.

And about the bike being 'riden hard', who cares? Talk to the guy that checks the bikes over at the dealer and ask him how good the engine/trans hold up on those bikes. I doubt you'll have anything to worry about. I'd buy it, and I hate yellow bikes.

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
how much money do you have. learn to ride really well then if money is available buy a 749 ducati. that's what I did. know what the deciding factor was... I can upgrade my bike to a 999 engine just by switching out cylinders and pistons. they make a kit for it that cost $8000. My ducati was $12k i love the way it rides. I race a gsxr race built on the track and it is nothing compared to my ducati. But as most people are just looking for straight line speed if this is you then get the jap bike the i4's get great straight speed.

That price is really good just make sure it's all there and solid. me and my dad bought a 600rr for about that that a kid high sided and hit a tree fixed it up for my race bike but sold it instead to get the gsxr. We put no more then $3000 into it with the bike cost and sold it for $6000 so could be a investment toward you next bike if anything.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
mkiiSupraMan18 said:
^ Agreed. If you've been riding dirtbikes and are confident w/ your riding abilities a 600 wouldn't be too bad. I started out on an 01 Ninja 250, probably the best thing i ever did. Super lightweight, comfortable, and super easy to maneuver.

Fear it, and you'll be fine. If you aren't afraid of it, you'll end up hurt.

And about the bike being 'riden hard', who cares? Talk to the guy that checks the bikes over at the dealer and ask him how good the engine/trans hold up on those bikes. I doubt you'll have anything to worry about. I'd buy it, and I hate yellow bikes.

Well a bike thats been riden hard can end up being garbage. Alot of wheelies can leave the motor oil starved. Coming down hard from the wheelies will screw up the front springs/frame. Alot of launching prolly has killed the chain and worn the clutch. Most likely it will need new tires, I wouldnt trust used tires I know nothing about unless they look brand new.

Then normal wear and tear parts like brakes(and fluid) and oil/filter will need replaced.

Not to even bring up price of gear, that 2,000$ bike starts to get real price fast.

suav

Apr 20, 2007
Montana
p613924_1.jpg
p613924_2.jpg

Yeah the thing is pretty dirty, and now has a little over 9k miles. There are a few dents and stickers covering paint chips, etc... and the shifter pedal thing is bent inward (doesn't really matter; can get a new one or bend it back)... other than that it sounds pretty nice and seemed to drive well...
sorry about the bad pics, there was no light in the garage... it's a CB, not a CBR btw.

Also he threw in a really nice and new silver helmet with a matching silver padded jacket, some gloves, some kind of new gear, and some other accessories... new front tire and a newer rear tire.

What do ya think?

mattgo

Oct 15, 2006
Anacortes, WA
the cb 600 is also called a honda 599 in the states, but to the rest of the world it's called a cb 600. I'd say it's a good deal, If it's been layed down then it's only worth $2000, and maybe because it's yellow lol. But yeah offer him $1500. He use it as a stunt bike or something? If you do get it, I'd recommend getting some frame sliders. Does it have carbs or is it fuel injected? Tell your friend to watch you when you take it for a spin, to see if the rear wheel moves left and right, check for any damage to the wheels.