2000-2005 Celica

ImpulseDrive

Apr 23, 2007
Brooklyn
Hey everyone. I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience with the 2000-2005 celica models. The GT or the GT-S. I'm planning to buy one early next year and I'm curious to get some feedback about it. Are the engines reliable? Are they notorious for any problems like the 7Ms head gasket?

I really do like my supra but I feel like its time to move on. I might part out my MK3 back to factory settings and sell the mods here on SM first before listing them on a website like ebay or craig to help fund my purchase.

As for performance, I know the celica is a downgrade in horsepower and it being front wheel drive. But I want a somewhat modern car that looks sporty nice and can be gas friendly and the celica delivers on all those points. Plus I feel very comfterble with toyotas since my first three cars were all Supras. (First was an 85 then 89 and now my 91) I wont be doing any mods to the car and plan to keep it bonestock since I don't feel the need or desire to tune anymore. If I do any kind of work on the car it would probably be to install the authentic TRD body kit professionaly because I love the way it looks, but that would be it.

Any thoughts?

They get really really great gas mileage, especially the 6 speed. If you get a GTS it's pretty good power for a daily driver actually, the only problem is you have to be pretty high in the RPM range to use it. They're still pretty new so mileage isn't that high but everyone I know that has one hasn't had any engine problems.

cartel1_950

supra is gone
Jan 30, 2006
calgary
i've heard some horror stories of the VVTI mangling the engines if used Vtec style but those are pretty random events

bmoss85

Permanently Banned Scammer
Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
my friend had an 04 gt, 5spd. it was slow. something happened to the engine, i cant remember what though. it was replaced under warranty though. i havent heard anything bad about it as far as reliability. i think his failure was something of his doing.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
GT's have the 1zz-fe, same as the Corolla..

GT-S's have the 2zz-ge with 180hp at 1st, and then it kept dropping, due to emissions and stuff like that, but either one is okay, nothing to really get all wet over..

definitely get a 6 speed though...

ImpulseDrive

Apr 23, 2007
Brooklyn
I do agree women tend to like the celica body style and they usually are the same ones that like the 2nd and 3rd generation eclipses as well.

But I feel like I should move on from the Supra (I've owned three) so the celica would be my fourth car. I want a modern import that has good gas mileage. The celica is that and also within my price range from the listings I have seen. Plus I've grown a liking to toyota and the only sporty car I see is the Celica. I won't be able to afford a 4th gen Supra and I'm not fond of the MR2 body as others are. Don't bother bringing up Scion lol.

I know I should ask on a celica forum but I'm sure I would get biased answers from most of its members and over the time here I noticed I would get very blunt yet very honest answers which I appreciate.

But so far it seems the engines are reliable and it gets great miles per gallon which is what I'm aiming for. Body style being aimed towards women is a matter of opinion which won't affect my decision much and the obious downgrade in performance from owning a supra doesn't bother me much since I think my needs in a car has somewhat changed over the years. Thank you so far everyone! Any additional info would be appreciated, especially any owners or people that had personal experience with them.

The Dude

no more supra
Apr 5, 2005
Okinawa, Japan
ImpulseDrive;1063849 said:
But so far it seems the engines are reliable and it gets great miles per gallon which is what I'm aiming for. Body style being aimed towards women and guys that spend more time in front of a mirror than most women is a matter of opinion which won't affect my decision much and the obious downgrade in performance from owning a supra doesn't bother me much since I think my needs in a car has somewhat changed over the years. Thank you so far everyone! Any additional info would be appreciated, especially any owners or people that had personal experience with them.
Had to add alittle more truth to it :icon_bigg, but soley based on the metrosexual guys around here I've seen driving them. You're right though, when it comes to Toyotas in the last decade, they're about as sporty as they get, sadly.

ImpulseDrive

Apr 23, 2007
Brooklyn
^^ I don't think those cars are as affordable as a Celica would be plus I'm looking for a gas saver. I'm not too keen on the engines on those listed but I would pass on the Honda S2000 though, not really my taste. I love the Z series but I think the price on those are still up there.

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
Mesa, Arizona, United States
My fiance has a 2000 GT-S it has over 100k miles on it and the only problems we have had with it are motor mounts, and yes you can destroy the VVTI if you stay in it long enough lucky for my fiance hers is an auto ;)

ImpulseDrive

Apr 23, 2007
Brooklyn
I wouldn't bother with the solara since my supra is already an inline 6 and I would look for something with better gas mileage and I wouldn't want to tune the next car. I've done that to the supra and while its fun, I wouldn't want to tune and modify the next car, save that TRD body kit that I like. But that wouldn't affect its performance, just cosmetic value.

I am already pretty set and locked into wanting the last gen celica early next year, the only thing I am concerned with is how good is it mechaincally and to the MPG. So far it seems more positive than negative which is good. As for who is attracted to that kind of body be it male, female, dykes, hobos, homos, geeks or dorks doesn't effect me. I personally like the design and it looks different. Whether that different floats your boat or not is a personal preference. I personally think beetles and eclipses are "girl" cars but I wouldn't ram that down the throat of a guy driving one. Also again I do agree performance wise its a huge drop from my 7M-GTE.

I really would like to keep my mk3 and own both cars but I would have storage issues on the supra and I wouldn't be too keen on paying two insurances since obiously one of the main factors of wanting the celica was to save money on gas and that it's reasonably priced for a 2000+ car.

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
I just got my 94 ST for trading in my Civic at work, straight up. Its got a the 7a-FE and its auto but damn I love it. I wouldnt mind having a 7th gen at all, my roommates sister has one and I like the styling and the feel while driving.

I didnt replace my supra with one but I sure as hell love it. Decent gas mileage.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
phoenix6;1064956 said:
I just got my 94 ST for trading in my Civic at work, straight up. Its got a the 7a-FE and its auto but damn I love it. I wouldnt mind having a 7th gen at all, my roommates sister has one and I like the styling and the feel while driving.

I didnt replace my supra with one but I sure as hell love it. Decent gas mileage.

See? PROOF!

Only kidding... I did like the way it drove, it's just very disappointing when you floor it. As far as looks go, I like phoenix's style the best (I can't remember which generation that is, sixth IIRC) but they aren't bad looking cars at all. Something you may look into is Collector Car insurance for the Supra. Some guys are somewhere around $100 a year for insurance, but they do give you a limit on your yearly mileage and certain driving conditions. However, most companies don't check up on it! ;) Anyway, point being you might be able to keep/continue modifying/restoring the Supra and have a nice, reliable, fuel efficient DD that you're really happy with as well.