20 year old import (mk3) vs mighty c5 vette

s turbo 87

Accepting Donations
Apr 5, 2005
Louisville, KY
Well, I've actually raced this person a total of three times so far, and I'll explain all three races.
The first race took place at the beginning of this year in February or March or so...I was on 16psi, no safc, no fuel pressure regulator. Well we went from a 2nd gear roll and to my surprise i pulled out about a car on him, and it stayed like that. The reason why it surprised me is because this vette is rumored to have nitrous, but the owner claims its all stock with a "good clutch"...i guess that american flag he has hanging in the hatch area isnt covering up a bottle! lol
well, within the next month...i got my safc and adjustable fuel pressure regulator and was running 20psi...a very noticeable difference to say the least. Everyone was out racing and somehow I ended up next to the corvette again. We went from another 2nd gear punch....this time its dead even, i mean dead even all the way to ~140.
We got back to the parking lot and i asked him what he had done to his car, he replies with "man, i got this new air filter..." :icon_roll:
well, my car was down for around 7 months with a bhg and has recently returned, but i havent gotten to race anyone yet. I happened to come across that corvette again and we were just shooting the shit and he asks if my car still runs as good as it did, i told him it feels as strong on 16-17psi as it used to on 19-20psi...so ended up racing again from a 2nd gear roll again and i ended up beating him by about a car and a half.

the rumor is still that the vette still has nitrous, but the owner wont ever pop his hood or move that damn flag he has in the back hatch window...so until i see either one of those im going to believe that it has nitrous lol.

my mods are: 60-1 ct26, 2.5" IC pipes w/hks style fmic, lex afm, paxton afpr, 580cc inj, safc (tuned VERY conservatively..~10:1 afr) stock open dump dp w/cat eliminated, rps 2600lb pressure plate and KY clutch sprung 6 puck metallic disk. I was on 17psi for the last race and the two previous races were on stock intercooler and stock intercooler pipes.

Questions, comments, flames welcomed!

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
Nice kill over the C5 vette !
I also have a future race vs a C6 vette...

Give those vettes some dust...
mk3 is still rising,even after 20 years!

Turb0Lover

Its coming back
Nov 23, 2006
Phila.PA
Nice! The C5's are pretty quick its cool how you pulled on him like that. I'm wondering why he doesnt really show you what he has. HAha maybe he was using nitros and you still beat him?? haha I'm kidding.

s turbo 87

Accepting Donations
Apr 5, 2005
Louisville, KY
Thanks guys...
The main reason why I believe he does indeed have nitrous is because I beat him on 16psi w/no safc or fpr...then the next time I raced him, I had a wideband in and was getting the car somewhat tuned (mid 10 afr's) on 20psi w/the safc and fpr and it was dead even to the point that i could have reached out and kept my finger on one spot on his car. His reasoning was his "new air filter". If thats the case, I need to ditch my K&N and get whatever air filter that is haha.

89turbotoy

2 89 supras 2jzgte/single
Jul 30, 2006
cincinnati
he just thinks he is cool b/c he won't tell you his real mods. he thinks it makes him a "real" street racer. i know b/c we have alot of guys like that in my area.

JDM 1JZ

I hate Tires
Aug 31, 2005
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
was this a regular c5 because no offense to everyone but they cant get out of there own way, the z06's are the bad boys, i say this because we own 2 regular c5's one on nitrous and a z06 on notrious, and its like night and day well BPU as well on all of them. so this isnt a flame, im just wondering if its a regular c5 and maybe i can help out and give a few pointers, after all, my supra was as fast as the spray z06=)

just incase all are wondering to my car dyno'd 458 hp, and the only time i ran it, it spun an 11.8 with balls for traction, the z06 pulled an 11.2 though not barely beating on it, but on the street i beat it by half a car but thats a toss up also because my car still got balls on the street, atleast the z06's have a partical traction/launch control called "competive driving" when you hold the traction control button down

jbsupra89t

Achieving Balance...
Mar 30, 2005
NJ
I wouldn't go as far to say C5s are SLOW, my friend did 118mph in an FRC with intake, exhaust, 75 shot... Maybe with a stock motor they are. Nice times on the 11.2 in the Z, what other mods are done to it? You can just send me a PM or whatever, sorry to hijack the thread :1zhelp:

-J

s turbo 87

Accepting Donations
Apr 5, 2005
Louisville, KY
85? said:
Sounds like the MK3 is really moving, so what is next on the list?
VPC is being shipped to me today or Monday, after that gets here hopefully I'll be able to start piecing together a real turbo kit (GT4088)