2 years down the drain

Status
Not open for further replies.

UpbeatFish

Permanently Banned
Oct 4, 2007
Fail town
believe it or not, i have worked on my 7mgte supra for 2 years. after all that work i end up selling it. ive seriously puit more then 3 thousand dollars on shops and people to work on the car. its my mechanic killer . well if you want to see what i had to live with for 2 years , here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/v/zaUYWBctbk8&rel=1

but dont worry
i bought a new supra, a 7mge stick shift. way fast and im droping in a 1jz or 2jz tomorrow or next week =]:squirt-mo

Adrian98

Banned
Dec 19, 2006
orange county
UpbeatFish;909296 said:
believe it or not, i have worked on my 7mgte supra for 2 years. after all that work i end up selling it. ive seriously puit more then 3 thousand dollars on shops and people to work on the car. its my mechanic killer . well if you want to see what i had to live with for 2 years , here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/v/zaUYWBctbk8&rel=1

but dont worry
i bought a new supra, a 7mge stick shift. way fast and im droping in a 1jz or 2jz tomorrow or next week =]:squirt-mo

you sir called your car a piece of shit
.....:nono:

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
UpbeatFish;909296 said:
im droping in a 1jz or 2jz tomorrow or next week

Help me to understand this. You have spent three thousand dollars on mechanics to fix your car. That doesn't help so you are going to replace the engine with a 1J or 2J. I am guessing that because you had to give a mechanic money to fix your car, you are going to need a mechanic to do the swap for you. Did you know that in most cases, your car will actually tell you what's wrong with it? And the TSRM will tell you how to fix it.

UpbeatFish;907311 said:
im planning to make my baby a 1jz or a 2jz which ever is twin turbo and best for my car
Have you figured out the difference yet, or which ever is better?

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
please sell the supra you have now to someone who actually knows what they are doing....and never buy another supra.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
there are a lot of things that come to mind that could easily fix this.....it could even be something as stupid as a bad batch of gas....ask me how i know

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
I know you didn't post this up to get flamed... but historically speaking, sympathy isn't something SM has ever been good at, I wouldn't expect anything to change for one thread.

Tuning/modifying any car is not a happy road paved with fine red brick, lined with flowers and sunshine the whole way... sometimes it's rough, sometimes it'll seem impossible. If you're two years in and you want to give up, you seriously should... because it's not worth the stress.

The car is just a car, it only works as well as you make it work. You could very well have a misadjusted throttle cable, shot fuel pump, fuel delivery problem, or any problem to do with the ignition... but relying on a mechanic to figure it out is a poor investment, unless he's a 7M/toyota expert, chances are he's starting from scratch too.

Honestly, if you're not able to fix a 7M that doesn't start and run, doing a swap to a 1JZ or a 2JZ is not going to be any easier or smoother. The 7M gets it's bad rap from oiling and headgasket issues, not for reliability... good luck with your swap, you'll need it.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
GrimJack;909475 said:
lol - "scrape metal"? Kid, you either need to learn how to spell or how to activate your computer's automatic spell checker if you want anyone to take you seriously in life.
A spell checker won't catch that. "Scrape" is a perfectly valid English word. This is, in fact, the type of thing that happens when one becomes overly dependent on spell checkers.

I dunno that I'd EAT anything cooked over that grill. :nono:

To the OP...

$3000? Over 2 years? You think that's lots? It's going to cost you more than that for your JZ swap, and that's if you do all the work yourself.

Well, MAYBE if you get a JZA70 front-cut, and don't so much as replace a single gasket in the engine, manage to hack the wiring harness to fit...

You're driving a car that's more than 15 years old. Expect that there will be maintenance costs involved. In addition, you're probably driving it HARD. It doesn't matter what kind of car, or how new it is, that breaks stuff. No engine is built to run flat out all the time, with the exception of race engines. Race engines are also routinely rebuilt, so they don't have to take it for long, either.

You can try putting in a JZ engine, but if you aren't taking the time to maintain the engine, expect that it'll give you problems, too.

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Englewood, Ohio, United States
yea, $3000 is nothing, Ive put almost a total of 10K (all parts, me doing labor) into mine since I was 15, im now almost 20. EVERYTHING thats gone into my car has been payed for by myself without any help from anyone. Ive done this by working 2 jobs non stop and going to college, so it can be done. Mine started out as a NA auto that needed some work, its now going to be in the ballpark range of 400hp this spring. You can can build a decent car even if you dont make heaps of money, it just depends on how bad you want it, and what your willing to do to get it there. I forget who first said this but....cheap, reliable, fast.....pick two.

Last edited:

Datsrboi

Loud pipes Save Lives
Jul 31, 2007
Haltom Texas
www.cardomain.com
DegreE;909489 said:
Sell the Supra to sombody who actually wants one and deserves one.

You should buy a Honda.

My honda has broken down more on my then my supra has. My honda is an 01 stock stock STOCK!!!!!!!

Yes I drive civilize and maintained on it regularly too. A good honda is an expensive honda. The cheap one explains itself.... CHeap.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
I still stand by my statement that 99 times out of 100, the problem with the MKIII is the owner.

This thread does nothing but reinforce that.

First post was this:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showpost.php?p=898705&postcount=1

Which said:

UpbeatFish;898705 said:
i sold my turbo messed up supra 89
it wasd really bad
it didnt start
i believe it was hte starter and the coil packs

but now i bought a nice 87 supra n/a
and im planning to make it turbo
i cant wait =]

Then a week or so later you hit us with this brilliant post:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63859

Which I'll spare everyone the grief and not quote. (Read at your own risk folks, it's painful...)

But to sum up that post, in it you tell us that you "over heated and fucked up sick" your old Supra and that you are now beating the living shit out your current car, that it smells like burning oil when you do, and that you don't have a fucking clue what to do about it. All the while you've bought meaningless rice boy upgrades, but have done nothing to fix the car.

So neither you, nor your wonderful "mechanic", could diagnose a basic problem with your old car. You spent more money on not fixing it than many people spend on forged internals. You fucked it up, and then sold it. Why? Was it the car's fault that you don't understand basic maintenance? That your "mechanic" isn't much of a mechanic? That you overheated it?

Please note that this was a car in it's original factory configuration. The motor in it was the one that came with it, and you could actually get a shop manual for it.

So your answer to this problem was to sell that car, buy another one (this time an N/A) and then to to perform an engine swap "either tomorrow or next week", whatever that means. But not only a swap, but a swap to an engine that was either:

A. Only available overseas

-or-

B. to an engine that was never available in the car at all.

You don't even know which one of them was twin turbo nor do you even know why you'd want a twin turbo, but you've just decided that you do.

If you couldn't deal with a car with a factory wiring harness, how the hell are you going to deal with one that has been hacked to hell to install an engine in it that it never came with?

Do you actually engage in thought before choosing a course of action? Or do you just get blown around like a leaf on the wind and keep wondering how things go bad for you?

Seriously. I've read some stupid shit around here, but this is extreme.

I should rename this thread "Two Supras down the drain..." because that will be the end result of this. And the problem isn't the car...

Scot

Enough is Never Enough
Jan 9, 2008
Houston, TX
Not to pile on.....

To quote my old auto shop teacher....

"many times, the only thing wrong with the car is the loose nut behind the wheel".

Status
Not open for further replies.