2 threds into one. what do you guys think? and spacers

supra_man87

EL GUAPO
Nov 15, 2007
So. Col.
ok. i would like to know what you guys think about my supra with these rims. i know they are fwd rims, but i like them. i want your opinion. and please don't be like, "they F$^%ING SUCK!!!" and i bought some wheel spacers for the rears. in these pics i have them on. i think they look great and the wheels fit pretty flush with the body. i just want to know if they are safe or not. i'm a bit concened about that. i just don;t want to be driving down the road, taking a turn at 50 (lol), and the back wheels fall off. i had the wheels torqued down to 110lbs. they are just the nomal spaces. no lugs on them, and its only 8mm thick. but like i said, i just want them to be safe. and i want to know if they will. thanks.
p1054662_1.jpg

p1054662_2.jpg

p1054662_3.jpg

p1054662_4.jpg

p1054662_5.jpg

supra_man87

EL GUAPO
Nov 15, 2007
So. Col.
IJ.;1054664 said:
Stock lug Tq is 75ft/lbs 110 would be getting close to the yield strength of used fasteners :(

than what would be a good lug torque than? cause like i said. i don;t want the wheels to fall off.

supra_man87

EL GUAPO
Nov 15, 2007
So. Col.
jd20phill;1054717 said:
Id go with what IJ said...75 ft.lbs. Thats what i torque mine to and have had no problems at all.

and you have wheel spacers???

well i don;t want the studs to break off either. and i just them to be realiable and stuff.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
are they hubcentric spacers? If so then there is nothing to worry about. If not then you have all the shearing force resting on the lugs. Not something I would want if I was autocrossing or road coursing, but probably ok for daily driving.

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
theWeezL;1055178 said:
are they hubcentric spacers? If so then there is nothing to worry about. If not then you have all the shearing force resting on the lugs. Not something I would want if I was autocrossing or road coursing, but probably ok for daily driving.

Not really. You're forgetting about the friction force between the wheel pad and the brake rotor. Even with a lower friction coefficient, you have 5 studs torqued to 75-80ft-lbs which equals a lot of pressure.

Hubcentric is just good for making sure that the wheel is centered. But if you have tapered lug nuts that match the taper on the wheel, as long as you aren't an idiot putting wheels on, they will still be centered.

So hubcentric isn't as necessary as people think.

Tim

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
You need longer studs. The stock studs are short because the stock lug nuts go partly through the wheel. Some aftermarket wheels without spacers won't fit properly with the stock studs because of too thick of a wheel pad. If you want to run the spacers, you're going to need to get longer studs or get a bolt-on spacer.

supra_man87

EL GUAPO
Nov 15, 2007
So. Col.
Wiisass;1055411 said:
You need longer studs. The stock studs are short because the stock lug nuts go partly through the wheel. Some aftermarket wheels without spacers won't fit properly with the stock studs because of too thick of a wheel pad. If you want to run the spacers, you're going to need to get longer studs or get a bolt-on spacer.
so yeah, i got a quote from a place that would put longer studs in and they quoted me over 300 bucks!!!! just cause you would have to replace the rear bearings in the process.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
There are some different lugs you can get, I forget what they call them though...shoulder lugs? thats not it, but the idea is they have a longer bottom section and go deeper through the wheel.

and you are right wiisass, I didnt think about the friction factor. Bottom line for me though is that if I were going to run spacers at all, I would want hubcentric and the proper length studs/lugs.

cool chuck

I like rims!
Nov 15, 2007
Maryland
Rims look good with the the car colorwise, but they look small. I think the lack of drop makes them look small too.
What size rims are they?

SilverSupraT

7M '78 Toyota Pickup
Oct 3, 2005
Eastern WA
www.geocities.com
supra_man87;1055634 said:
so yeah, i got a quote from a place that would put longer studs in and they quoted me over 300 bucks!!!! just cause you would have to replace the rear bearings in the process.

The rear ones can be replaced without removing the rear axle. It's a little tricky but entirely possible. The new studs can be pulled back into place with a washer and a nut (I wouldn't recommend using a lug nut tho).

supra_man87

EL GUAPO
Nov 15, 2007
So. Col.
HT5SSilverSupraT;1055675 said:
The rear ones can be replaced without removing the rear axle. It's a little tricky but entirely possible. The new studs can be pulled back into place with a washer and a nut (I wouldn't recommend using a lug nut tho).

how would you do that? cause i really liked the way it looked with just out 8mm more. and i'm not sure the spacers that have studs already, that bolt onto the existing studs on the car go that narrow.

cool chuck;1055658 said:
Rims look good with the the car colorwise, but they look small. I think the lack of drop makes them look small too.
What size rims are they?
they are 17's with 40 series tires. its just that i have a bigger height in the front. i have compared my supra to ther ones and it looks like since mine was really babied that the struts haven;t sagged yet. but in time i have gonne do the suspension with the tems adjustible tonkico illums with just an eibach pro kit.