2 step???

BJ91T

Aug 28, 2006
Baton Rouge LA
Looking into using maft pro on my 7M-GTE Supra. I have been looking for a 2 step, boost builder or limiter or launch controll whatever you want to call it lol. I am looking for one that is seperate from everything so far all i know to get one is to install AEM EMS I assume there is a cheaper option that will let me keep my affordable engine management device.

then again i may be a ricer at heart like some say for wanting this :3d_frown:

Thanks In Advance
BJ

Last edited:

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Even though it's not on par with AEM's version, check out the MSD DIS-4. Search for MK3Brent's posts about his MSD setup.

Keep in mind, this isn't good for your turbo.

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
I thought it was Antilag that want good for the Turbo. 2step should be fine on the turbo, just not as effective as an antilag system would be.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
We're referring to two entirely different setups. The only "antilag" setup that'll work on the stock TCCS is the MSD DIS-4, which is why I mentioned it, and linked to that thread. ;)

The AEM EMS is a full standalone engine computer, and the 2 step that's integrated operates differently than the MSD unit if I remember correctly. :)

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
full nelson

That little AEM blurb does not say anything about what gets cut, ie fuel and/or ignition. I stand by my statement that if a two step is shooting flames then you really have a poor mans ALS and not a two step.

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
shaeff;1194001 said:
We're referring to two entirely different setups. The only "antilag" setup that'll work on the stock TCCS is the MSD DIS-4, which is why I mentioned it, and linked to that thread. ;)

Agreed. As far as a 2-step on stock TCCS, this is the only way to do it.

The AEM EMS is a full standalone engine computer, and the 2 step that's integrated operates differently than the MSD unit if I remember correctly. :)

I've never been able to read up on the differences between how the two would differ, but for the price of the AEM, that 2-step should should come with a 1.6 60' guarantee.:naughty:

figgie;1194727 said:
full nelson

That little AEM blurb does not say anything about what gets cut, ie fuel and/or ignition. I stand by my statement that if a two step is shooting flames then you really have a poor mans ALS and not a two step.

I think shooting flames out the back has more to do with fuel control, which is what ALS does, Retards ignition and adds fuel. The two step is just a rev limiter, If your motor is running rich when its on the rev limiter, yeah id expect a fire ball too.

What i was trying to clarify was Shaeff stated 2 step will hurt the turbo. While it will could hurt the turbo depending on many different conditions, Its often confused with the ALS systems. ALS will kill a turbo quicker than the 2 step. Note: 2-step could kill the turbo just as easy, but that is dependant on the tune.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
FullNelson;1194773 said:
I think shooting flames out the back has more to do with fuel control, which is what ALS does, Retards ignition and adds fuel. The two step is just a rev limiter, If your motor is running rich when its on the rev limiter, yeah id expect a fire ball too.

What i was trying to clarify was Shaeff stated 2 step will hurt the turbo. While it will could hurt the turbo depending on many different conditions, Its often confused with the ALS systems. ALS will kill a turbo quicker than the 2 step. Note: 2-step could kill the turbo just as easy, but that is dependant on the tune.

Stop right there. Don't think. Learn.

ALS does not add any more fuel than it already is injecting. The timing of the ignition event is what make an ALS system an ALS system. Retarding timing is not enough, retarding timing by X or Y degree is what makes an ALS system CONTROL when the air fuel mixture gets ignited.

A 2 step that has no fuel control will kill ignition but the fuel is still being injected (Exactly like an ALS system) the BIG difference which seperate them is the WHEN does the air fuel mixture get ignited. In a 2 step like Bee-R, MSD etc. the ignition event is tied directly to the NEXT combustion process which in reality makes an "out of control" two step detrimental to the turbo as it is happening at ignition timing that not even the WRC teams use in thier races. Yes, it is THAT aggressive.

On a TRUE 2-step, it is no different than the rev limiter as it cuts both fuel and ignition and the needles just bounces at the set RPM with no backfire of any sort. Now if the tune is shit. Get a new tuner.

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
figgie;1194780 said:
Stop right there. Don't think. Learn.

ALS does not add any more fuel than it already is injecting. The timing of the ignition event is what make an ALS system an ALS system. Retarding timing is not enough, retarding timing by X or Y degree is what makes an ALS system CONTROL when the air fuel mixture gets ignited.

A 2 step that has no fuel control will kill ignition but the fuel is still being injected (Exactly like an ALS system) the BIG difference which seperate them is the WHEN does the air fuel mixture get ignited. In a 2 step like Bee-R, MSD etc. the ignition event is tied directly to the NEXT combustion process which in reality makes an "out of control" two step detrimental to the turbo as it is happening at ignition timing that not even the WRC teams use in thier races. Yes, it is THAT aggressive.

This is the part I wasn't understanding from you. I was under the assumption that the distinction between the two step and the ALS was dictated by where the Air Fuel mix was ignited.
That the 2 step is as described as your traditional 2step and ignited in the normal Combustion stroke.
The ALS is the one that ignited the mixture during the exhaust stroke.

This is now revised into saying that:
-The Two step retards the ignition, and restricts fuel to keep a large combustion from happening in front of the turbo.

-Anti Lag Retards ignition and keeps "normal" fuel levels. This gives a larger combustion, which spools the turbo quicker and hurts it more.

Does a two step still ignite During the combustion stroke, Or does it follow suit of the ALS and detonate during the Exhaust stroke?

Reworded version:boink:

I was close, But there are something that just don't get taught well over the internet, I knew i just needed other wording. ::dunce::

Have I passed:x:, Or am i getting the shovel stamp?

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
FullNelson;1195286 said:
This is the part I wasn't understanding from you. I was under the assumption that the distinction between the two step and the ALS was dictated by where the Air Fuel mix was ignited.
That the 2 step is as described as your traditional 2step and ignited in the normal Combustion stroke.
The ALS is the one that ignited the mixture during the exhaust stroke.
This is now revised into saying that:
-The Two step retards the ignition, and restricts fuel to keep a large combustion from happening in front of the turbo. (Umm no. A true two step should cut both fuel AND ignition. Bee-R and MSD do not change any fueling as they have no control over the injectors so that is a function of the OEM ecu, all the Bee-R/MSD do is cut ignition which is quasi-2 step since in the end you have no fine control over the combustion of the unburnt air fuel mixture.)
-Anti Lag Retards ignition and keeps "normal" fuel levels. This gives a larger combustion, which spools the turbo quicker and hurts it more. IT can hurt it more, OR less. Depends on how aggresive it is
Does a two step still ignite During the combustion stroke, Or does it follow suit of the ALS and detonate during the Exhaust stroke?

Reworded version[/URL]:boink:

I was close, But there are something that just don't get taught well over the internet, I knew i just needed other wording. ::dunce::

Have I passed:x:, Or am i getting the shovel stamp?

in short.

ALS most aggresive timing is somewhere around 40 degrees ATDC which makes the combustion process still take place mostly during the combustion stroke but continues in the exhaust stroke.

The 2 steps with no fuel control definetly takes place during the exhaust stroke.