2-step knocking noise?

Tajabaho1

Aug 1, 2009
Socal
hey guys, I've been trying to train my ears to the 1jz so I can start learning the piston engines again after coming from rotaries and dumping money into the supra

so I fired up the 1jz from a cold start

the first sound I hear is almost like a rod knocking, but once the temperature climbed up a bit the knocking went away

all that's left is
1. ticking noise probably from the fuel pulsation dampener bypass hose
2. squeezing noise, most likely from the pulley

but then there was this faint and distinctive noise that I can't seem to figure out

the closest I can describe it to is a 2-step knock, like when you run over a water rail at speed and your front then rear tires go over it and it makes that tug-tig sound. it seems to be coming from the engine around cylinder 2

it's not permanent, it happens about every 4-5 second interval

now mind you, I've barely put 100 miles on the 1jz since the swap

so I don't know what this sound is

can anyone with a 1jz verify to me what this sound might be?

I haven't done a compression test so I don't know whether the engine has cylinder problems or not but this is a Driftmotion engine and swap, so I am sure that it was of quality

cliffnote:

engine making weird sound, sounds like a 2-step knock (running over a water drain at speed) help!

Tajabaho1

Aug 1, 2009
Socal
I am going to next week

is the piston slap normal?- - I don't think it is

the car still runs and drives fine, starts up cold in 1 jump and everything, but I don't want it to blow up randomly one day either

Tajabaho1

Aug 1, 2009
Socal
^ so.......... it's normal? -...- sorry IJ, I don't really get sarcasm that well, I need like, in the face kind of response

JASONA70

nomnomnom
Oct 27, 2006
socal
My 1FZ-GE Land cruiser has about 107k miles and does the same thing. It has been like that for about 10k miles and it has given me no problems at all.

sk6471

Quietly Lurking
May 28, 2005
Texas
JASONA70;1452797 said:
My 1FZ-FE Land cruiser has about 107k miles and does the same thing. It has been like that for about 10k miles and it has given me no problems at all.

Fixed that for you.