AFPR
removed J tube
550's
walbro 255
ADJ cam gears
aftermarket intake
Maft translater (gen 1)

here are my ?s

1) my ct is leaking oil into the compressor housing so im looking for an upgrade/replacement. a GT35R was offered to me exhaust A/R of 62 i think. came off a 500hp civic. power goals are 400+ range. would this be a good match to my set up? the only reason i ask is because of the motor it came off of. i can get the V band downpipe chunk and the oil lines w/ the turbo.

or should i just go with a ct upgrade 57 trim?

2) with eaither of these turbo set up's is the MAFT going to be able to give me enough tuning? i also have a Apexi NEO that i could install but i wont if i dont need to.

thanks for your input in advance.

Last edited:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
That gt35r is going to be overkill unless you do some fuel upgrades, but it is a great turbo if you want to make 400-500rwhp. I had one on my 1jz when I made 543rwhp @ 24psi.

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
The GT35R is a great turbo, However to get this to fit, you are going to have to buy a new exhaust manifold, oil and water lines for turbo, external wastegate and a new downpipe. What I would suggest is Boss turbo, it will bolt on and be a full T4 turbo and give you plenty of power and get to 500rwhp. With the boss you can save all of your intake, and exhaust and it works.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
A 62 AR is on the small side for that turbo on a 7M...it's going to choke at higher RPM.

Fuel wise, you should be good for the HP you're shooting for...not much more than the mid 400's though.

NFI on the MAFT ;)

83restomod

Bryan
Feb 11, 2008
clinton NJ
jdub;1198839 said:
NFI on the MAFT ;)

whats NFI?

thanks for the input. it was just alot cheaper to go with the 35R then to get one of the boss or SP bolt on turbos. ill see if the shop has a larger exhaust housing i can swap for. if not ill be looking for a turbo.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
MAFT pro will be good for your power goals. If you're only shooting for 400whp.. Id just go with a 57 trim ct..

83restomod

Bryan
Feb 11, 2008
clinton NJ
WhtMa71;1199239 said:
MAFT pro will be good for your power goals. If you're only shooting for 400whp.. Id just go with a 57 trim ct..

i would rather not buy another piggy back if i dont have to. i know its a good unit from what ive seen in person and read, i just have everything set up with the maft gen 1 and i could always add the neo if needed. with both i know i can get a good solid tune. but where do those reach their limits with power output?

as far as the ct57 i would like more room to play, so i figure if im going to spend at least 650ish on that, a little more can get me a better turbo.

any thoughts??

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
This is all to go on a mark 2 right? have you driven a 400rwhp mark 2? fark there fun, mine was just 300 rwhp and itd spin everywhere lol.Id be inclined to go for a ct26-57 and just enjoy, otherwise youll uncover a few weak points.
Diff, gearbox...e.t.c

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Alrite I figured you already had the maft pro. And yes by all means go bigger turbo if you want room to grow.
But if you want to approach the 500hp mark, Id suggest you start looking away from piggybacks and AFM's.

lintlars

ROOTS RADICALS
Apr 1, 2005
Ft.St.John BC
www.cardomain.com
This is a biased opinion go with the gt35r Im currently running this with a .68 housing spool is incredible with similar mods 550,lex,255 its a bit more work since all new plumbing is required but worth it you cannot even compare to a ct upgrade Im also running an old school rebic for the fuel cut

83restomod

Bryan
Feb 11, 2008
clinton NJ
wiseco7mgt;1199250 said:
This is all to go on a mark 2 right? have you driven a 400rwhp mark 2? fark there fun, mine was just 300 rwhp and itd spin everywhere lol.Id be inclined to go for a ct26-57 and just enjoy, otherwise youll uncover a few weak points.
Diff, gearbox...e.t.c

yup, all in a 83'. im running a R154 and a trutrac out back so weak points are leaned more towards the axels which not too many brake under most driving conditions.

ct just still dosnt seem the route if i ever want to push everyting more. but again the work required is a little more. i found ct flange to T4 flange adapters, then i get the V band downpipe chunk, adapt that to my existing downpipe, coupler reducer for intake, lines, and wastegate. hmmmmmm..........

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
Sorry matey i didnt realise youd already strengthened the normal weak points, so why not try a masterpower turbo maybe a t70 with a .68, do you feel that would be too agressive for your setup? They seem to be great value and are good for 500rwhp.
Im so jelous , i miss my ma61 terribly.lol.

83restomod

Bryan
Feb 11, 2008
clinton NJ
wiseco7mgt;1199648 said:
Sorry matey i didnt realise youd already strengthened the normal weak points, so why not try a masterpower turbo maybe a t70 with a .68, do you feel that would be too agressive for your setup? They seem to be great value and are good for 500rwhp.
Im so jelous , i miss my ma61 terribly.lol.

yeah they seem like a good price, but i can get the used 35R with lines and downpipe chunk for that. i would want BB if i could get it. i dont like lag at all thats why i wanted a smaller yet capable turbo. still looking...........

83restomod

Bryan
Feb 11, 2008
clinton NJ
lintlars;1199409 said:
This is a biased opinion go with the gt35r Im currently running this with a .68 housing spool is incredible with similar mods 550,lex,255 its a bit more work since all new plumbing is required but worth it you cannot even compare to a ct upgrade Im also running an old school rebic for the fuel cut

do u have any pics of your set up? dyno sheets? very interested in this thanks