2 questions: Capping heater core lines on engine and PPS hookup?

Scott 88-1JZ

Dec 9, 2007
California
The other day I ran into a guy that knew the previous owner of my 89 supra. I bought the car as a shell with the old motor removed (supposedly running like crap). Well I asked this guy about it and he said the PO removed the heatercore to save weight and just capped the 2 lines on the engine. He thinks this is what screwed the motor up. What do you guys think / what happens when you cap the lines? Below is a link to the coolant flow hard to make out. I was possibly going to rebuild it to put in another car if it can be saved.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=CO&P=2

My second question is on the PPS system. Currently it feels about the same with the connector plugged in vs disconnected. My understanding is it is supposed to feel heavier at higher speeds. Since it is 1jz swapped I figured I would need to check my connections for it. Are there any other things I can do to troubleshoot the system. It is a remanufactured rack.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I've seen the heater core lines bypassed, but never capped. No idea what the effect would be... and it's so easy to bypass them, I wonder why he didn't go that route?

As for the PPS system, there's no noticeable difference at speed. I seem to recall that the system is completely off after about 30mph. The difference is obvious when going slow - mostly parking lot speeds, parking, etc. Parallel parking without that connected is hard, with it connected it's easy.