2,3,5,6 injectors always open

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
I have no idea whats going on right now, I'm making the thread kind of short since I still have some daylight out I don't want to spend too much time typing this up until later.

Basically it all started about a week ago, I drive the car home perfectly fine and park it for the night, the next morning I go to start it and it doesn't want to start, it just cranks and cranks and eventually stops... what stopped it was the cylinder filling up with fuel. So we pull all the plugs later that night and spin the motor real quick to get the fuel out... we see that injector 5 is stuck open. So at this point I figure my injectors got messed up so we pull the injectors out to get them cleaned and flow tested and rebuilt if need be. Long story short I get scammed by the local fuel injection place so I end up buying a set of 550's off my friends MKIV which are in known working condition. I finally get around to putting them back on today, drain the oil for a long long long time to make sure everything is clean inside, put in 6 quarts of amsoil 10w30 and crank it with the EFI fuse pulled to make sure I have good oil everywhere.

I go put the EFI fuse back in and go to start the car, it sounds a bit funny and I was really not confident with the car at that point so I pull the plugs and everything out and take a look inside. Cylinders 2,3,5, and 6 are all full of fuel. I have no what is going on, I have a stock ECU and a Mines ECU and both of them seem to make the car do the same thing.

Any help is appreciated.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Test the injector wires make sure they haven't grounded to anything.

I doubt both ecus would have the same injector drivers that failed (could be if bad harness maybe I guess), and would just assume something shorted out in your harrness/rubbed through and grounded the injector wires.

Datsrboi

Loud pipes Save Lives
Jul 31, 2007
Haltom Texas
www.cardomain.com
Dont you have a resistor pack on those injectors? I thought US spec 550s do not need that resistor pack? If anything pull your harness back out and lay it back the way it was on the ground and see what happens. I have a feeling your harness has a kink somewhere even if it ran good that night.

I love your car man. Saturday I am free and I might be able to help you out if your willing to give me a place to hide in case that storm hits hard and I can't get home.

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
I went out again and messed with the Mines and sock ECU and did a few comparison cranks, with no spark plugs in it was difficult to see, but I do believe that the mines is actually pulsing the injectors where the stock was throwing more fuel in there than I care to imagine. The mines is known to be blown... but I don't know which part of it is blown. All the capacitors are good in it.

Tomorrow I'll probably have to bust out the fluke meeter and do some real testing. I'm not looking forward to having another ECU problem :(

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
Well I'll try my best to summarize today's progress accurately:

New plugs and oil and such to start out the day.
We got the Stinger hooked up and couldn't get the laptop to connect, we did the 12v mod on the fuel pump and turned the key to the on position, fuel pump turned on, and a few seconds later we smell fuel.

We pull the spark plugs and immediately see that 2 and 6 are filled to the top with fuel (interesting since they are the ones that are supposed to fire together)

We do the whole fuel evacuation plan that I'm all to familiar with at this point and leave the motor open to let it dry out. We got everything out fast enough this time that I didn't compromise my oil, which is good.

After that we decide to go and pull the wiring harness out in the open, since rerouting it was the last thing I had done. Upon inspection there were no obvious flaws in the wiring, other than the wire that was supposed to be my tachometer wire, was the "digital dash" wire, so I swapped those and went on to inspect the rest. There really was nothing that appeared out of place, especially enough to cause such a catastrophic problem as the one I was having, but we decided to try and get everything hooked up with the harness loose and relaxed.

We got it all hooked up, with the stinger (which I was unable to connect my laptop too, but I'll save that for the stinger thread) and turned the key to the on position. Immediately the fuel pump turns on... but we don't smell fuel, we have 2 of us in the engine bay looking into the cylinders and one person in the car working the key, and sure enough, everything is back to normal and working.

Since I couldn't start my car on the stinger (no laptop connection = no map on stinger) we got my stock ECU and connectors back on there and started her up, sure enough she fired right up... well almost right up, I no longer have the SAFC wired up so I'm running 550cc injectors on stock fuel pressure and tune, so I was really really rich.

I really don't know what to make of this, how can a problem that big be solved by moving the harness 1'? there are no damaged wires anywhere, nothing that I or the 2 other people (Dat and Ben, both supra owners) could see.

What a long day! But I have a tach now!!!!!

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
Ya, jon pretty much summed up what happened today

Tomorrow, im heading back over and we're gonna try to get it running on the stinger, im taking my laptop, cable, and 4424 unit in case anything goes weird.

hopefully we'll be able to start tuning on it tomorrow afternoon