1st Post, "new" Mk3 owner - still working out the problems - PICS!

Wwall

Dec 14, 2012
Rainy Capital
Hey everyone,

I first bought my '90 7mgte - targa about two summers ago from a buddy for $3k. When I first got her, she had a pierced high-pressure power-steering hose that would cause the PS reservoir to drain from full to empty in a matter of hours. After getting that fixed, I neglected to check my oil, which was running low and consequently rolled a connecting rod bearing (it was at this point that I decided to actually get to know my car mechanically). I decided to have the 7m cleaned and rebuilt with new cams, crankshaft, pistons, waterpump, cometic MHG, fuel pump - along with the basic tune up stuff: belts, spark plugs, plug wires...

As of today, I've put ~5500km on the rebuild 7m and have changed the oil 3 times (first 2 every 1000, most recent one after 3000 - 5w40, 5w40, 5w30 respectively). Allow me to introduce, my first supra

Parkday2.jpg

Sorry about the quality of this one, its a phone shot this summer after a wash. The paint is actually half-decent, with a bunch of chips in some places and some rust on the back fenders (I'll try to get a shot of the rust up sometime)

garageshotreduced.jpg

I've finished exams for the term and am starting to clean out all the SERIOUSLY CAKED oil from the old engine which leaked (probably contributed to the rolled bearing). This is her in my garage, you can probably see most of the flaws in the paint. As of now, I'd like to work out all the mechanical problems before thinking about any upgrades.

7mdirtyresize.jpg

Heres the engine bay, and where I'll be spending most of the winter cleaning up all the oil - that way i can pinpoint exactly where oil leaks come from.

Interiorresize.jpg

Best interior shot I have at the moment, grey

radiatordrivers.jpg

These two pipes at the driver's side of the radiator (you can see the white drainplug) seem to lead to the oil leak in the following pictures - as you can see, i have alot of cleaning to do.

leakyradrightresize.jpg

The same two pipes under the passengers side of the radiator, this is the spot where i find oil leaks on the floor each morning - anyone know where i can buy replacement pipes? Pretty much all of them will need replacing.

leak3.jpg

The same pipes ~1-1.5cm in diameter? This is just before where I think they terminate, somewhere near the oilfilter
leakend.jpg

And this is where the leaky hose ends. Everymorning since the rebuild, ill find a few drops of oil on the ground underneath these pipes. They are on the passenger side mostly. I believe that there was so much oil caked on the old engine mounts and around the frame that it may be a source of the oil leak, but I also believe there is another spot leaking fresh oil.

Wwall

Dec 14, 2012
Rainy Capital
That orange bit in the last picture is my oil filter, if anyone notices something I could easily fix, I APPRECIATE ANY FEEDBACK AND ADVICE (im still learning!)

IMG-20120807-00011.jpg

Heres the "hole" i found in the exhaust pipe just after the turbo, didnt take too long to find this one :p

fixedturboback.jpg

And here is the same part fixed and back under the car

fogfrontresize.jpg

I picked up some fogs i'd like to learn to install. I some wires where they may have been previously, but I cant really tell if its ready to be wired up, or if i'll need to do some additional wiring.

fogbackresize.jpg
Back of the fog
fogwirepassresize.jpg
On the passenger side, the fog wire seems to be cut, but there are still 2 wires dangling there. Can i use these? I've been trying to find a DIY thread for install but have only been able to read up on the cygnus TSRM online.
fogdriverwire.jpg
The little "terminal" seems to still be attached on the driver's side fog opening
Fogswitchresize.jpg
Theres also a switch for the fog in here already, does this indicate that i merely need to purchase bulbs and connect the lamp wires to the car wires?

drivermarkerresize.jpg
My front driver's and back passenger markers arent turning on, i've replaced all the 15A fuses i can find, and have been studying the diagrams in the service manual. But, i cant seem to get behind the plastic marker to get a multimeter in there, any advice?
passsidemarker.jpg

The markers appear to work fine on the front passenger and rear drivers sides.

I've already learned so much about mechanics from working on my supra and hope i can find some guidance here while I bring her back to speed. My goal is to maximize the reliability of the car before I mod anything. When i do get everything mechanically sound, I'll be getting some coilovers to replace the crumbling stock suspension, sanding off the rear fenders to get rid of the rust and getting a new exhaust to help her breathe. In addition, she could use an alternator upgrade for my larger sound system and HID headlights.

I checked my codes today also, however, i must note that the battery had been dead for about 2 weeks before i bought a battery tender and charged her up. When i connected TE1 --> E1 and turned the key to "ON", it only rapidly blinked - no codes? Do i need to have the car running before it would produce codes for me? or am i safe to assume there arent any codes?

Anyways, I hope some of you might join me as I try to at least bring her back to stock standards (a noobs gotta learn the basics before trying stupid mods!)and appreciate any constructive criticism you may have for me.

Cheers!
-Wwall

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
attachment.php

can't tell from the angle, but it looks like you have both halves of the plug, nice of the seller, just unplug pigtail and plug in the one attached to your chassis...

pretty sure these OEM foglamps are pre89/post89 specific, re; shape and mounting locations.....

EDIT: use the pigtail for the missing plug.... solder and heat shrink...

attachment.php

again I can't tell from the angle, but if the old foglamps happened to have bolts snap off during removal you may be in for a PITA