1JZ's, hard to destroy.....right?

supra_rulz

Apr 26, 2010
Seattle, WA
Alright, yesterday i was at drift event in Evergreen and during one of my passes i dumped about 3.5qts of oil on the track in about a 5 second time span. i think i spun out when i ran over the oil that i was leaving behind but when i looked at the oil pressure gauge, it was zero so i immediately shut the motor off and was towed off track. About 30 mins later (and a friends car lock-out) i got some new oil and started looking for the source of the leak. Turns out the bolt that holds the sandwich plate for the oil cooler had come loose AND the oil filter was loose on that said bolt. So just to drive home, i hand tightened both back on put some oil in it and it started right back up. it had no sounds of knocking (from what i can compare to with some youtube video's) and runs smoothly as if nothing ever happened. The problem with this whole story is that i get random idle issues and sometimes the car will just die. If i catch it while it's idling weird and give it gas, the car wont die but still has a hard time idling properly, and it seems like its only when its cold. I let it sit for a bit after the drive home and it idles and sounds like nothing ever even happened. Is there anything i should/can check? because right now i'm almost tempted to just drive it until i DO break something so i can replace it instead of driving it like a bitch because i'm afraid to break something. :dunno:

stevenr816

Feb 12, 2007
Phoenix,AZ
www.myspace.com
Is your oil pressure any different then before?
Don't worry last night we were racing a car and topped out 3rd gear and some how accidentally shifted into second. Hit 11k, the limiter on this motor is 8k just set off when power drops. Raced about 5 more after that. Everything seems fine, just a slight knock noise randomly. Never consistent.

It's a 700+ 1j, stock motor besides 272 cams, springs, retainers, and shimless buckets.

supra_rulz

Apr 26, 2010
Seattle, WA
As far as i can tell, oil pressure and temp(which i guess wouldn't really be effected) is the same as before. When the car is doing the random idle thing, the oil pressure drops consistent with the rpm's so i dont see that as an issue.
Warm : 3-3.5ish Bar (Going to go check later)
Cold: 4.5-5.5ish Bar (^)

And thats good. Everyone keeps saying the 1j is strong. i feel like i'm reeeeeally putting it through some rough situations though. lol

supra_rulz

Apr 26, 2010
Seattle, WA

alright, here are some pictures of the spark plugs, starting from front to back.

Compression test results are (front to back):

tips looked a bit dark so i replaced them with new plugs and waiting to go buy some screws for the coil packs since i stripped one of them.