1JZGTE with a 2JZGTE headgasket

NecroCyde

Lurk R
Apr 5, 2005
Calgary/Brooks, Alberta Canada
Hey guys,

I know this sounds retarded, but i am wanting to find some solid answers here with evidence to back it up.

In light of 1JZ stock headgaskets becoming extremely limited in quantity and increasingly hard to find. I am wanting to investigate the use of the stock toyota 2JZGTE headgasket on a 1JZGTE block and head. Now i have testimonals from a few people that have used such a hg on a 1.5JZ with no ill effects or issues at all. The concern is the water jacket holes are moved around and the oil passages are smaller. Thus this could affect cooling and lubrication to the different 1JZ head. However if there was cause for catastrophic concern, we would have heard something about heads warping/exploding and BHG's.

I am not wanting to debate which headgasket is better i am simply wanting to know if i can run the 2JZ hg without issues on my 1JZ with rebuilt head.

2JZGTE headgasket is thicker, however this is normally not an issue because one would have had their head milled and block possibly as well to make up for the small difference.

Link to thread with pics of both HG's: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?47831-Difference-1jz-and-2jz-headgasket-*pics*

I have a 2JZGTE hg and can drop the head on ths weekend but if its just a bad idea all around then i will order up one of the last 1JZGTE hg kits and use the hg from that. Perhaps we could have a role call of anybody that has done this, using the 2JZ hg on a 1JZ.

Thanks guys for your help and advice.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I had a friend bring a stock 2JZ gasket over to the shop. I have a 1JZ block and I laid the 2JZ gasket over it and I have one thing to say....

I should smack the person who said the gasket would not work and started this whole nonsense. The hole on the block fits the 2JZ gasket.

The 1JZ head has a recessed and an offset channel for the rear oil feed hole. When looking at the 1JZ head, oil flows to the channel and goes into the feed hole at an angle, it's not a straight feed, as in they line up at 180* degrees. The actual feed hole on the 1JZ head is offset BUT there is a channel that leads to that hole and feeds that hole at angle.

You will need to determine the correct thickness and that will be it.

Here is proof.

Recessed Hole With Channel

sm_photo_missing.jpg

1JZ Block With 2JZ-GTE Head Gasket Rear Oil Feed Line Up. Pin Goes All The Way Through.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

NecroCyde

Lurk R
Apr 5, 2005
****edit, had this typed and forgot to press submit when i went downstairs to investigate the gaskets myself.
an HKS head gasket is nice, but with prices into the $300+ range or more, its pretty overkill for stock block and under 1000 HP, in my mind at least. Considering the power the stock Toyota head gaskets are capable of handling and the numbers we have seen. I will throw this thread up on Supraforums and see if we get any more info. If an aftermarket is all we are going to be able to get soon that is a 100 percent for sure fit, then that's the only option.

NecroCyde

Lurk R
Apr 5, 2005
*****edit, was typing this before i refreshed the page and saw Iboughtasupra's info.

Also note that in both SF and SM, the 1JZ reference info and stickies state the headgaskets are interchangeable. I just inspected my used one and laid it over top of the new 2JZGTE one while it was still in the bag and from what i can see:

The 2JZ has more coolant holes on piston 1.
Both 1JZ and 2JZ HG's have the same oil holes and the sizes look virtually identical
The back left small oil hole is the same and lines up even though the 1JZ one has a bit more meat to lay over the oval on the head/block. The 2JZ one still has over 4-5 MM's of playroom from the oil hole.
Pistons 3 and 4 have the same number of exhaust side coolant holes.
Piston 6 on the 2JZ HG has larger rear coolant holes
On each piston, the 2JZ has more intake side coolant holes

and of course: the 1JZ one has the super-awesome arrow on it. But honestly, I really cant see why the 2JZ HG wont work on a 1JZ head and block. From what i can see the intake side should be cooler, the exhaust side should be a bit hotter and pistons 1 and 6 should cooler while potentially pistons 3 and 4 should be as well. This is all just in theory of what i can see between the 1jz and 2jz HG and a 1jz head, but no water jackets or oil holes are obstructed. Overall the temps through out the head should be more balanced from the looks of it, but that is again, theory.

I would absolutely love some testimonials. Thanks again everyone.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Nope. All lines up.

Theory proves true as well. The 2JZ head gasket feeds the 1JZ head coolant and oil when used in a 1.5JZ, so why wouldn't it do the same on the 1JZ block. Whatever is ports that are on the 1JZ head are on the block. Its that simple.

The 1JZ link I gave you, it shows the 2JZ head gasket on on a 1JZ head and a 1JZ head gasket on a 2JZ block. It all works BUT the problem is the oil feed hole which is NOT a problem. It was made to be a problem by some guy when it wasn't. I saw that today, it feeds at angle to the offset hole on the head which is shown in the pictures above.

You are welcome. Get this thing bolts down and start her up. I don't ask anything to help out the members here but maybe you don't want oil in the intercooler piping by way of the PCV system, so maybe a catch can could help. I know a thing or two about those, care to help. :D

NecroCyde

Lurk R
Apr 5, 2005
That being said, id love to get micrometer measurements of a new 1JZ HG and 2jz HG. This will tell us definitely what the comparison thickness is and how that can potentially affect comp ratio. I think this should go in the swap thread, it would be great to help people out to let them know of option to use the 2JZGTE HG which is cheaper and much more prevalent.

2JZ : $119 at Driftmotion! 1JZ : $250 at ....Japan! LOL

I already have a CC new in box, but i am in the market for single parts, suspension, brakes, body parts, 89+ plus stuff....ill check and your fuel rails and let you know! :D