1jzgte non-vvti knock sensor woes Code 52. PLEASE HELP!

OnlyStoney

Jul 28, 2015
Oregon
Hey guys, I am stumped and really need some help. I purchased this car about 6 weeks ago: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?154191-My-91-Supra , it is a 91 ma70 with a jza70 swap. The car was a factory r154 car, and so is the jza70 ecu that is in it. I bought the car with the wrong headgasket installed (a 2jz without a specific hole needed on the 1jz engine shown in the build thread). Anyhow I spent 2 weeks taking my time and disassembling the 1jzgte back down to the headgasket and spent some time cleaning various pipes and the intake manifold, and putting it all back together.

Now for the problem. I noticed that the #2 (rear) knock sensor by the starter, looked like this:
u0t9wMP.jpg

So I ordered a 2jzgte one with this part number:
QvoRbX9.jpg

The car was professionally wired when it got the 1jz swap by these guys: VIP performance in Portland OR. I checked to make sure the ECU was getting a strong connection from the knock sensor wires, and everything tested out great. I even put a new knock sensor plug on the #2 because the tab was broken off and had some remains of superglue (I assume from the previous owner). Anyhow the new one tested out great and the ECU wires look great. I have searched on every forum I could find, related to the 1jz knock sensor issue I might be having, but nothing. I'm really at a loss here.

Basically, the car starts up perfectly fine, but when I rev it to about 4k rpm, it throws the code 52, runs in limp mode, and then clears as soon as I shut the car off. To my knowledge, the code 52 represents a fault in either the knock sensor itself or the wiring to the ECU or the ECU itself.

So here's the list version of what I have done and things that checked out fine:
1.) Replaced knock sensor #2
2.) Spliced in a knock sensor plug @ #2
3.) Let the car sit several times overnight with no batt to reset the ECU
4.) The cars ECU was sent off to DM a couple years ago to get new caps soldered on (and ran fine afterwards)
5.) Checked the continuity of the wires between knock sensors and ecu
6.) removed knock sensor #1 to inspect for damage that I may have missed when the head was off (but everything was fine) and reinstalled.

Please keep in mind that I am a computer hardware/electrical engineer and know my way around engines ect. Anyone else have any ideas? Thanks

OnlyStoney

Jul 28, 2015
Oregon
I think I'm going to order a personal oscilloscope and try to diagnose further that way. Anyone else know another way... Possibly something I missed? Please help anyone who has dealt with this before!

Last edited:

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
I changed both of mine and got rid of the 52 code about 2 months ago.
Try and change #1.

OnlyStoney

Jul 28, 2015
Oregon
f00g00;2060982 said:
I changed both of mine and got rid of the 52 code about 2 months ago.
Try and change #1.

Hey thanks for responding. Looked at your profile and I see that you have a 1jz also. What brand and what part number were the knock sensors did you order? I didn't order a second for fear that the 2jz one may be the source of my problem.

Last edited:

OnlyStoney

Jul 28, 2015
Oregon
hvyman;2061754 said:
Get a oem sensor.

Have 2 verified good working sensors as well as 2 non-toyota sensors. Many of the the "non-OEM" parts are literally the same part in a different package. Look at a Toyota sensor and they say "denso" and "Toyota" on them and the "delphi" has "denso" written on it.

1.) Swapped both knock sensors with genuine toyota (used but in good working order).
2.) Tried variations of my 4 knock sensors to see if one of the combinations would work.
3.) re-verified that the wiring from knock sensor plugs to the ECU was not damaged and came out fine.

Code 52 continues to plague my supra. Any help is appreciated, specifically from people that have had this problem with their 1/2jz and solved it. I ordered a cheap oscilloscope so hopefully I can read some signals (or lack there of) at the ecu. Will keep you guys posted.

Last edited:

OnlyStoney

Jul 28, 2015
Oregon
Just wanted to post that thanks to my new oscilloscope, I got it figured out. It was indeed the wiring and nothing at all to do with the aftermarket sensor that I purchased. For some reason, even when I tested to make sure I had continuity from end (knock sensor) to end (ecu), and the multi-meter showed that I did and had no measurable resistance in the wire, when it was all connected the ecu was flat out refusing to acknowledge the existence of a #2 knock sensor.

So since Toyota uses a Resonance Piezo Electric knock sensor, that only produces signal in the 7kHz range, the engine has to be revved to between 2-4k rpm before any signal could be measured on the oscilloscope. Unlike traditional knock sensors, you will NOT read a signal if you hit the block with a hammer because like I said: Toyota uses a RESONANCE Piezo Electric knock sensor. I was able to verify that the ecu wasn't crazy and there genuinely wasn't a signal getting to it. So I rewired the knock sensor using a 10' coax cable from the ecu all the way to the knock sensor plug. Also, the ground wire in the coax cable I simply put a butt connector on it with a bit of extra wire, and grounded it near the ecu. Problem is now solved!

Also, here is what all I used for the fix:

http://www.sainsmart.com/sainsmart-dds-120-20m-50m-s-virtual-oscilloscope-silver.html (got mine off ebay)
https://www.cablewholesale.com/products/coaxial-cable/rg58-coax-cables/product-10x1-01110.php (got mine off Amazon)
http://www.wiringspecialties.com/1jknseco.html
(and I used random butt connectors, heatshrink, and electrical tape for good measure.)

I took my time, and everything looks professionally done. Good luck to whoever this may help!

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
Thanks for posting your fix for the the code 52. I wish more people would post how their car problems are resolved.
I will probably get an O scope too just to have it, I haven't looked at prices and that one is very affordable. I was thinking they were in the hundreds of dollars.
Just for info, the link I posted earlier about the cross reference for Toyota knock sensors list several US cars that use the same OEM sensor as the JZA70 and JZA80. you could get them from 3 Lexus models and Toyota Tercel and Celica. The self service wrecking yards seem to have plenty of Lexus now. Probably would have more trouble getting them from the 4 runners.