1jzdet rebuild

gr33kdrifter

Dec 3, 2011
chicago
hey i just bought a 1jz off this dude and i wanna do a complete motor rebuild like seals pistons cams rods valves and bearings do you know wat i would need to get it to 450hp?

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
I would start off by getting half your money back, because he sold you half of a nissan motor.

See if he has any 1JZGTE engines for sale instead.

If the motor is in good shape you don't need to rebuild it for 450hp. All you need is an upgraded fuel system (injectors, pump) and a single turbo swap. The stock twins will only support about 400hp. The engine itself is good for at least 500whp before you even need to worry about anything breaking.

If it's worn out, you can buy everything you need to rebuild it from driftmotion.com. If it were me, I would just buy another motor that's not worn out, since they are only about $1300. You can't rebuild one for that much.

Usually all you need to do to freshen one up that has some miles is change the timing belt, valve cover gaskets, maybe reseal the oil pan, and if the cam seals are leaking change them (if the cam seals are leaking the engine probably has over 100,000 miles on it and there's a good bet the valve stem seals are leaking too, so if you're doing cam seals, just go ahead and do the valve stem seals, you can do them with the head on with the right tools in about 6 hours).

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Still not a 1jzdet, regardless of turbo setup. ;)

/wasn'tbeingpedantic. :p

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
If it's a 1JZ single turbo, then you either have the newer style 1JZ with VVTi, or the motor has an aftermarket turbo system. Everything I said still applies though. The VVTi motors have the same issues and cost about the same (maybe $200 more for a used one).

I was just messing with you on the nissan thing, obviously. Alot of people mess the name up like that because the places that sell JDM engines list the engine names wrong (I've seen 1JZDETT and 1JZGTTE on ebay plenty of times, neither actually exist). You'll have better luck finding info if you use the correct name though, which is 1JZGTE (no matter how many turbos or what generation the engine is).

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
Mesa, Arizona, United States
gr33kdrifter;1798895 said:
thanks man would a 1jz bolt up to my 7m tranny its stock?

That all depends do you have a w58 or a R-154? If you have a w58 aka a none turbo transmission then you can use a 2jz none turbo bell housing, if its an R154 then you will need a 1jz bell housing... Btw this forum has a good search feature with plenty of information that covers all the questions you may have take some time to do some research before you ask questions...