1JZ won't start? (Injectors aren't firing)

10secdream

Got Boost?
Sep 11, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Well I just completed my single 1JZ swap. I took the harness out of my working 1JZ car and swapped blocks to a lower mileage 1JZ. I put the engine in the car and it started up but only ran for 20 seconds and then the engine died. At the same time the battery died. I let the battery charge overnight and then attempted to start the car today but the car did not start up.

The car sputtered and wanted to start but nothing happened. I pulled the plugs and they are completely dry so there is definitely no fuel. I then checked my cam shaft and crank sensors and they are wired in properly with no ripped wiring. Fuel pressure is 40psi and I am using the Stinger EMS.

I am a little lost because I know that the car runs because it did yesterday. I figure it was just running off the fuel in the cylinders already. I checked the wiring to the injectors and there is 12 volts at the injectors.

Anyone have any suggestions?

10secdream

Got Boost?
Sep 11, 2007
Well I just checked again today and I do not have spark. I borrowed a coolant temp sensor and a crank sensor from a friend today and will see if that works. If not it has to be the wiring.

staticpage

Banned: Scammer, liar, cheat and thief
Oct 3, 2007
Cincinnati
mines doing the same thing, i think my crank sensor is the weak link. let me know if that newer crank sensor works.

10secdream

Got Boost?
Sep 11, 2007
staticpage;1310265 said:
mines doing the same thing, i think my crank sensor is the weak link. let me know if that newer crank sensor works.

I checked the resistance of both sensors and they are about the same so I am not convinced but I will see what happens tomorrow. It is a very frustrating problem.

10secdream

Got Boost?
Sep 11, 2007
Changed out the crank sensor today and I do indeed have spark. I still have no fuel being injected into the car. I am going to try and throw in the stock injectors and get my blitz 850cc injectors checked out. Is it possible that if 1 injector failed it would cause the rest not to fire?

thesupragod

Supramania Contributor
Apr 10, 2005
Mount Vernon, Ohio
the injectors not firing is usually a cam angle sensor... the rear (i believe) controls the injectors, there are 2 pickups on the intake cam, one in the center of the cam and one on the back.

Just a thought. Good Luck!

10secdream

Got Boost?
Sep 11, 2007
I am on the stinger ema so the rear cam sensor is the only one connected. I will try swapping sensors and see if that solves the problem. It is weird that I have spark though. I will let you know my results tomorrow.

10secdream

Got Boost?
Sep 11, 2007
Did more testing this afternoon. I confirmed that piston 1 is at TDC with the cam and crank marks lined up. Once again I confirmed spark at all 6 cylinders. I tested all the injector plugs and all 6 black wires show 12volts. The white/blue, white/red and white wires show 10.60 volts at the plugs. The white/blue, white/red and white wires that go into the ecu show 12 volts. The injectors do work when I apply 12 volts directly as I can hear them click. All the wiring seems to be in tact.

Tomorrow I am going to try swapping cam sensors. Anyone ever have a stinger ems injector drivers fail?

10secdream

Got Boost?
Sep 11, 2007
tsupra;1311753 said:
you did plug your laptop into the stinger to make sure the programming was still intact didn't you?

Yes i plugged in my laptop and all I did was use my existing map when i had my car tuned for 440cc injectors and took out some fuel across the entire map. I can see that the stinger is reading how many ms the injectors are open for but once again they are not actually opening. I tried turning the engine over by hand with a friend listening with a stethoscope to hear if the injectors are opening/closing with no luck. I am beginning to think the stinger may be the culprit.

Last edited:

10secdream

Got Boost?
Sep 11, 2007
I tested both cam sensors and they fall within spec of the TSRM. I also rewired them both as the wiring looked like it was going to fall apart. I bet that was the issue to be honest. I will know tomorrow if everything works.

10secdream

Got Boost?
Sep 11, 2007
Well I tried cranking the motor over today and I found some interesting results. With the cam sensor not connected I got no spark or fuel like predicted. With the rewired crank sensor installed I do have spark at the right time. So my sync and trigger sensors must be working properly. Once again the fuel injectors were not working. Now here is the interested thing. I took a log of my cranking and without cranking the log read that the injector time was 6.61ms and with cranking the injector time read 6.796ms. The injectors failed to open throughout the cranking period and I was using the stock working 370cc injectors and my blitz 850cc injectors. I am going to try rewiring my grounds to the stinger and see if that solves anything.

staticpage

Banned: Scammer, liar, cheat and thief
Oct 3, 2007
Cincinnati
IfetheGreat;1313374 said:
^yeah it's most likely the wires that connect to the cam sensors

ya check your cam wires, mine where part of my problem the wires where frayed. the other part was a bad map sensor.