1jz with 2jz water pump over heating

dansmith11

Mar 2, 2007
calgary
So my water pump went on my 1jz, i removed it, installed a new 2jz water pump, running an electric rad fan as the hydrofan is gone alone with the 1j pump.

problem is, ever since i installed the 2jz pump. the car over heats...

is there anything special i need to do in order to use a 2jz water pump on a 1jz?

there is one port on the side of the 2jz pump that i have blocked off.. it sticks our perpendicular to the engine, runs sorta parrellel to the coolant inlet (outlet? which one comes off the back of the water pump lol) not sure what its supposed to connect to so i just have it capped off, could this have anything to do with it? whats this supposed to connect to?

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
The port on the side is the coolant feed for one of the stock turbos. If you aren't running a water cooled turbo, or you have it fed from another spot, it should be blocked off.

There is nothing special about the 2JZ water pump being used on the 1JZ. In fact the 1JZ-GTE in the Soarer uses the same part number as the 2JZ-GTE in the JZA80 for the water pump.

The main things that I'd be looking at is your thermostat, or your electric fan is not flowing enough air. It's possible your radiator does not have adequate capacity, but I'd think that unlikely.

I'd be leaning most towards your electric fan not being able to handle it.

Jeff

dansmith11

Mar 2, 2007
calgary
Jeff Lange;1367660 said:
The port on the side is the coolant feed for one of the stock turbos. If you aren't running a water cooled turbo, or you have it fed from another spot, it should be blocked off.

There is nothing special about the 2JZ water pump being used on the 1JZ. In fact the 1JZ-GTE in the Soarer uses the same part number as the 2JZ-GTE in the JZA80 for the water pump.

The main things that I'd be looking at is your thermostat, or your electric fan is not flowing enough air. It's possible your radiator does not have adequate capacity, but I'd think that unlikely.

Jeff

think it could just be an under powered fan? the cooling system holds pressure, and both the upper and lower rad hoses are hot... so i guess it could be.. i just wouldnt think the fan would make much difference once your moving i thought it would have enough air flow.. especially since im running a big aluminum koyo rad...

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
Jeff Lange;1367660 said:

Jeff

+1.

If you could ditch the electric fans and go with the mechanical clutch fan. I run this setup with the stock 7m rad (oem new) and I have zero issues.

dansmith11

Mar 2, 2007
calgary
anyone know if the 2jz mechanical fan will fit with a koyo rad? i read something on supraforums that it wont fit

any chance the 7m and 2jz mechanical fans are the same?

Last edited:

Datsrboi

Loud pipes Save Lives
Jul 31, 2007
Haltom Texas
www.cardomain.com
dansmith11;1367744 said:
anyone know if the 2jz mechanical fan will fit with a koyo rad? i read something on supraforums that it wont fit

any chance the 7m and 2jz mechanical fans are the same?

NA 2jz clutch and fan will work on the Koyo. Very close but you can pull it off.