1jz weak spark

shipkiller

Sep 16, 2010
Quebec
1jz-gte from a jza70 in a ma70 1989.
I was running a ms3pro, 800 sard injectors, stock ignition components including the igniter. I decided to make a new engine harness, swap the injectors for mk4 550cc(plus a resistor pack) and now I have a very very weak and orange spark. I can start the engine with new plugs but it misfire very badly.
-I have a solid 12V at the coils and the igniter.
-My igniter is grounded at the intake manifold along with E1 and there is a ground strap from the intake manifold straight to the battery neg pole.
-Coils resistance within spec.
-New plugs made it able to start but it miss very badly.
-Timing is in sync with the MS (full sequential injection), verified with a timing light.
-The coils are wired in order, I can trigger them in the right order and properly with the megasquirt test mode.
-I tried 2.0 ms of dwell (previously 1.8ms and I could boost 18psi without blowing the spark).
-composite, tooth and trigger loggers are all giving me fine signal without sync loss or any noise.
-Injectors are all working properly, deadtime adjusted and fuel pressure is 40psi without vacuum (afpr aeromotive with a gauge).

I might have forgot a lot of diagnostic I did. I'm scratching my head real hard on this one

Basically, all these components were working prior to the harness work, however I followed the wiring diagrams and confirmed the continuity of all wires/signal/power/ground before installing it. The only thing I can think of now is that I dropped my igniter off the table once, could it have damaged it?
I will try my igniter on a working 2jz swapped car tomorrow to see if he's having problem with mine.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
i would test the igniter. also the igniter does not need to be grounded to the intake. nor do you need a cable from battery to intake but should have one from the battery to the block.

shipkiller

Sep 16, 2010
Quebec
I have a ground strap from the block to the battery, a ground cable from the R154 to the chassis.
I grounded my igniter and E1 at the intake manifold because I have a solid ground cable going to the battery.
I'm going to test the igniter and report back.

shipkiller

Sep 16, 2010
Quebec
I tested another igniter, no change in this engine behavior.
I am at a lost here, I'm going to try and get a oscilloscope and verify the dwell time.

If anyone has any idea or clue, throw me a bone here. Thanks