1JZ vs 2JZ oil pump comparison

Albert

Custom CT26, CT12a, CT20 upgrades
May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Hey guys, I pulled my 1jz oil pump off my car because I was getting bad oil pressure. Turns out the back screws that hold in the back plate were all loose, and 2-3 of them backed them self's out. I ended up buying a new 2jzgte pump and modifying it before I pulled the old pump off.

Well once I got the old 1jz pump off I decided to compare it to a stock 2jzgte pump I had laying around from Dustins old motor. This is what I found, the 1jz pump is alot smaller internally than the 2jz pump. Ive always heard people say these pumps are the same. On the outside they look identical, but on the inside is a totally different story.

Here are some photos I shot:

1jz pump:

VS 2jz pump:

Notice the valleys on the 2jz are much wider. I can stick my index finger into the valley of the 2jz pump, but not the 1jz pump. Also the relief area is different and alot smaller bypass.

here are some more close ups:

1jz relief area:

2jz relief area:

1jz bypass:

2jz bypass:

Alos the gears on the 1jz pump are alot smaller:

1jz gear(top) vs 2jz gear(bottom):

1jz gear INSIDE a 2jz pump: show comparison

Here is the 1jz back plate on top of the 2jz pump, obviously way to small:

So It seems that the 2jz pump will do more volume compared to the 1jz pump.

anyone have any input on it?

Vrank!!!

hahahahaha
Dec 17, 2009
TX
noticed any difference in pressure opposed to what it was before it started making you unhappy?

Albert

May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
sulikcassidy;1971057 said:
I want to bump this thread because i want to refurb my 1J.
Does anyone got more informations about the 2JZ pump in a 1JZ?

They bolt right in. As long as it's GTE.

Albert

May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
scottiedawg66;1971263 said:
It would be interesting to see how oil pressure changed by swapping a 2j pump in.

I saw a increase, but I also modified it so can't really verify it was the pump or me modifying it

Albert

May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
scottiedawg66;1971339 said:
Just out of curiosity, where is your oil pressure sender tapped in?

Stock gage is on the oil fitting behind the AC like most swaps. Proefi sensor is on the block;turbo side toward the back. Most people plug this when going single.