1JZ valve guides? Need help!

emoFTW

Dec 3, 2012
OK
I'm getting so many different answers... I don't even know what to believe.

Are the 1JZ and 2JZ guides the same? If not can I use 2JZ guides in the 1JZ engine?

I've read a few threads on SF stating that people have used 2j guides on a 1j. But Dave of Headgames states that they are not the same, and that the 2j guides were shorter. I'm assuming they didn't work because he ended up making his own set. I'm just confused how all the other people got them to work, and Headgames said they wouldn't. Not trying to step on any bodies toes. Just want some clear answers.

Anybody here used the 2j guides in the 1JZ? My head Is at the machine shop, guy says that they could use replacing. I'd like to replace them since everything is apart.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I want some good solid answers!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
There the same. Also same seals. And valves are interchangeable tho sizing is different. Valve springs are also the same. Ferrera makes everything for them as well.

emoFTW

Dec 3, 2012
OK
Have you used a set yourself? I'm just confused because of the fact that Headgames said they weren't different. I don't want to rip out my set of guides. Then not be able to get a set for my head.

emoFTW

Dec 3, 2012
OK
Yes, but I'm talking about the valve guides. I understand that they are both 6mm valves

emoFTW

Dec 3, 2012
OK
Well I bought some 2jz valve guides. I'll let every know if it really works or not for the 1jz. Should get you an answer by the end of this week.

YYCSupra

Getting back in the game
Aug 4, 2014
Alberta
I had the same concerns as you about interchangeability. I've got 2JZ valve seals already installed in my car (I'm assuming valve guides and seals are the same). What I was told by a reputable tuning shop locally is that the 2JZ valve seals are the newer version of the 1JZ ones. In other words they superseded the 1JZ valve seals / part numbers.

Looking forward to hearing how things go with you.

emoFTW

Dec 3, 2012
OK
Thanks man. I'm also running 2jz valve seals. But as for the guides, I hope they work. People have only tolde they work, but no concrete evidence.

emoFTW

Dec 3, 2012
OK
UPDATE!!!!

2JZ VALVE GUIDES DO NOT WORK!!!!
So anybody that said they do, I have no idea how you did it, but it's wrong.

YYCSupra

Getting back in the game
Aug 4, 2014
Alberta
Ok, I've never rebuilt a head before, but is there a difference between valve stem seals and valve guide seals?

emoFTW

Dec 3, 2012
OK
Valve stem seals and valve guides are two totally different things.

1jz and 2jz valve stem seals are interchangeable.

2jz valve guides are different from the 1jz guides.

The shop I brought my head to has tested this themselves. And also the Owner of Headgames has as well. Both have said the valve guides between 1/2jz are indeed different. If you would like to argue about it. I can give you phone numbers to both places.

emoFTW

Dec 3, 2012
OK
I believe he said the 2jz exhaust side valve guide is too short. 1jz ones are longer. I'm not 100% sure, I didn't ask because if they don't work, then there's nothing I could do.Headgames had to make a custom set for a customer. I asked Curt from Toyota and he couldn't get them. Also emailed Aaron from driftmotion but I never got a reply. My set was decent so I just ran them.

And the set I bought to try was the Ferra set, most people said they were 1jz/2jz compatible, which they are not.

Just posting this on here for future members looking for the same info.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Too short is nothing to worry about. 2jz uses the same spec valves and there interchangable with the 1jz.