1JZ Trying for 600hp on pump

Supra NA-T

Total Annihilation
Nov 7, 2010
Leesville,La
Hey guys,

Well my goal is trying to get 600hp out of a 1JZ. I know it's just a number but im being deployed tomorrow and going to have enough funds to get this done. What would you people choose to get close to 600whp. This is going to be a daily Driver and making mainly street pulls and maybe a little time on the track. Trying to stay away from water/meth injection. Seeing if it would be possible on strictly pump 93 octane. It will have PROEFI. I know that much for sure.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
No water meth, and only 93 octane? Hmm... run it a little rich and run a fairly decent sized turbo? If pressure (from boost) would cause detonation (not sure on this, just a thought), I would suggest running a larger turbo than you need, that way you don't have to run the piss out of a smaller (but better responding) turbo to get the power you want.

That said, these are all just thoughts in my head from my limited understanding of tuning. I'm sure more experienced members would have better suggestions.

May I ask why you don't want to run water/methanol? They can be programmed to work with a Hydra or AEM quite nicely...

MNBmk3T

Aug 2, 2011
Burnaby, BC
It's doable I would think. Plenty of people have put out more than 600 on a 1JZ. Whether it was on 93 or not I do not know.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
According to our list of engine power records, it's not likely.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?66742-***SM-Member-Horsepower-List***

MNBmk3T;1846729 said:
It's doable I would think. Plenty of people have put out more than 600 on a 1JZ. Whether it was on 93 or not I do not know.
If there are plenty of people who have done this already, they need to scan a dyno sheet and get on the damn list. 1J owners are such a group of slackers... ;)

Realistically, it's rare on any engine here. We have nearly 16 thousand members, and there are a grand total of 14 with 600+ rwhp.

thesupragod

Supramania Contributor
Apr 10, 2005
Mount Vernon, Ohio
That list is off. Way off. Apparently most people arent providing sheets to prove it, Shit, im making 550 hp to the wheels in my ma1j on pump, just no sheet scanned.

ifyouaint1sturlast

Banned Scammer - I'm whitemike.
Jun 14, 2011
Fort Myers/Cape Coral - Florida
In my (very humble) opinion.. MOST people, with a few exceptions, go 1JZ simply because they don't have the cash for the 2JZ.

Having said that, if you don't have the extra $500 or so to go 2JZ, then you typically don't have the money to make high HP numbers.. which would be why that list is slacking.

However, if someone actually just decided to go 1JZ, and actually had money to put into it.. it could do very well I think. Especially with some head work.

But, like I said, usually seeing a 1JZ is indicative of a "lowballer" or someone who makes lips from home depot gardening supplies..

ifyouaint1sturlast

Jun 14, 2011
51wdpcF5YXL._SS500_.jpg

MNBmk3T

Aug 2, 2011
Burnaby, BC
ifyouaint1sturlast;1846813 said:
In my (very humble) opinion.. MOST people, with a few exceptions, go 1JZ simply because they don't have the cash for the 2JZ.

Having said that, if you don't have the extra $500 or so to go 2JZ, then you typically don't have the money to make high HP numbers.. which would be why that list is slacking.

However, if someone actually just decided to go 1JZ, and actually had money to put into it.. it could do very well I think. Especially with some head work.

But, like I said, usually seeing a 1JZ is indicative of a "lowballer" or someone who makes lips from home depot gardening supplies..

You're right in some cases. However, I am one of those cases in which you are wrong sir (about the "lowballer" part). I chose to go 1JZ because I simply preferred the rasp and tone of it. Don't get me wrong, I got ride in GrimJack's car and couldn't stop smiling for hours after the very short 5 minute rip we went for. That PT67DBB that GrimJack has on his 2JZ is absolutely amazing and hits like a train. Yeah the 1JZ is .5L smaller than the 2JZ but some people (like myself) choose it for their own reasons and preferences. But just like you said, once you build the 1JZ properly, it is plenty capable for its size and can do very well.

I do not at all want to start the famed 1JZ vs. 2JZ debate again. I was simply stating my reason for choosing the 1JZ over the 2JZ (for now at least; who knows I may get a 2JZ put in on a stand and slowly build it to specifications which I want).

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
ELHsj.jpg

+

ELHsj.jpg

=

2JZ?

On a serious note, most don't but I know Albert and I are pretty 1JZ diehards. Whenever we take down a 2J, it gives us a smile. You think the 7M vs JZ war is bad, you haven't seen anything yet when it comes to 1JZ vs 2JZ, atleast it's crazy here in NY.

Food for thought, I had a two 2JZ cars and sold both. ;)

thesupragod

Supramania Contributor
Apr 10, 2005
Mount Vernon, Ohio
IBoughtASupra;1846766 said:
^

550HP 1JZ on pump? Mods and dyno sheet please.

Sorry, no dyno sheet. I dyno'd last spring and the tuners printer did not work... i may have a pic of the screen on my old cell phone, ill look for it. When I find it ill attach it here.

Mod list :
dual walbro's -8 fee, -6 return
650cc injectors
aeromotive afpr
REAL masterpower T70
3.5" dp to test pipe to HKS Super Dragger
Mines ECU (great ignition map) with Emanage ultimate for fuel tuning
BC small core 272's
good sized fmic
ngk's gapped at .27

I made 490 on the same setup 2 years prior, using mkiv 550's and using an SAFC to tune with the mines ecu. I do have a dyno sheet for this setup, when i find it ill attach it here.

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
ifyouaint1sturlast;1846813 said:
Careful here, I was considering a grill with gutter guard from Home Depot.

ifyouaint1sturlast

Jun 14, 2011
MNBmk3T;1846852 said:
You're right in some cases. However, I am one of those cases in which you are wrong sir (about the "lowballer" part). I chose to go 1JZ because I simply preferred the rasp and tone of it. Don't get me wrong, I got ride in GrimJack's car and couldn't stop smiling for hours after the very short 5 minute rip we went for. That PT67DBB that GrimJack has on his 2JZ is absolutely amazing and hits like a train. Yeah the 1JZ is .5L smaller than the 2JZ but some people (like myself) choose it for their own reasons and preferences. But just like you said, once you build the 1JZ properly, it is plenty capable for its size and can do very well.

I do not at all want to start the famed 1JZ vs. 2JZ debate again. I was simply stating my reason for choosing the 1JZ over the 2JZ (for now at least; who knows I may get a 2JZ put in on a stand and slowly build it to specifications which I want).

Didn't mean to offend - my point was to defend the 1JZ in general and why you usually don't see people making big numbers on it.

Bottom line is that it's capable, *most* owners are just cheap. People like Andy (and yourself apparently) who are die hard 1JZ folks - IMO - are hard to come by, but fully welcome in my book! Oh and I just picked up a PT6765, it's in the mail, so I'm glad to hear that part about the 2JZ with the 67 :) Now I'm REALLY excited!!

Albert

Custom CT26, CT12a, CT20 upgrades
May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Lol I can afford a 2jz. Shit i got one in my other car. Still love my 1jz over it hands down everyday of the week and twice on Sunday's