1jz timing

nctexan

Nov 30, 2009
Houston
I am needing to remove my cam gears so I can replace the cam seals and seal up the little valleys in the cam end covers to stop leaking. There are yellow tick marks on my upper timing gear cover that match yellow tick marks on my cam gears. The only thing is, when I line up the yellow cam gear marks with the yellow marks on the timing gear cover, the crank timing notch is nowhere close to the 0 degree mark on the lower timing cover.

I also noticed, however, that there are more notches on the cam gears, 180 degrees off from the yellow tick marks. When I line those notches up with the tick marks on the upper timing cover, the large notch on the crank pully lines up with the 0 degree mark on the lower timing cover.

Is there a way to verify that when the cam notches without the yellow ticks are lined up (which currently puts the crank pulley at 0), that everything is where it needs to be?

Here are some pics showing the notch on the cam gear lined up with the upper timing cover mark, and then the corresponding crank pulley position.

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

Thanks for any guidance!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You use the white mark. There is 2 marks on the crank pully.

When in doubt pull no1 spark plug and verify its on no.1 tdc compression.

nctexan

Nov 30, 2009
Houston
That's just it hvyman, I have read numerous sources about there being 2 marks on the crank pulley, but I only see one on mine. I don't get that. I will pull the #1 though and use that for the check. Thanks for the input

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Just line the marks up. Zero and matching cams with backing plate and remove everything and then double check with the crank gear and oil pump.