1JZ timing mark question

Matt300ZXT

Jan 1, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
I'm finally getting off my butt and doing the timing belt, water pump, cam seals, etc job on my 1JZ (non vvti) and had a question about setting the timing before pulling the old belt off.

The engine initially came with a Driftmotion lightweight pulley that I didn't want to use after reading about the potential for damage to the engine, so I bought a 2JZ ATI Superdamper for a good price off someone who never used it. The Driftmotion pulley has no marks or anything on it to set timing with and the ATI has 3292422 marks, I mean there are a ton. Since neither had factory marks on a factory size pulley, I decided to bypass using that method and put a long skinny screwdriver down cylinder 1 and spun the engine over until it reached the highest point. First time around the marks on the cam gears didn't line up with the ones on the timing plate, so one more go around and it reached the top of its stroke and the cam gear marks lined up....bam, TDC on cylinder 1 w/o no stinkin' crank pulley on.

Anyways, I got the ATI pulley setting on the crank (didn't push it all the way on since it's a very tight fit) and lined up with the woodruff key. Using a straight edge with the TDC mark on the ATI pulley, it is lined up exactly halfway between the 0 and the first hash, which would be 5 degrees, so technically 2.5 degrees. Is the reason it's not lining up because the 2JZ has the longer stroke and that throws it off slightly? Ultimately it doesn't matter what the markings on the ATI pulley say since the engine is at TDC on cylinder 1 and the cam gears line up, I'm just curious if my hypothesis is correct.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
No. Pulley still goes around 360 degrees.

Also the crank gear and oil pump both have marks on them. When setting the timing your supposed to use those. Not the crank pulley on a plastic cover.