1jz swap

thecarwiz17

Sep 2, 2009
Spring Hill
So I bought my first supra the other day for 400 bucks! Its a 87 base model non turbo! Its got a built 7m in it! I've been reading the posts for the 1j swap and I wana do it but im a little confused about the wiring situation. What exactly do I need to do to the 1j harness for it to work on the 7m body harness? Thanks

thecarwiz17

Sep 2, 2009
Spring Hill
Ok do you know what wires go where? Because all these posts seem complicated, im a begginer at this crap so I need someone to just tell me what color wire goes to what color wire! What to cut and blah blah blah! Im jus affraid im gunna screw something up!

nick88

JayHall's Hero
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
thecarwiz17;1398162 said:
Ok do you know what wires go where? Because all these posts seem complicated, im a begginer at this crap so I need someone to just tell me what color wire goes to what color wire! What to cut and blah blah blah! Im jus affraid im gunna screw something up!

Depends on what chassis the 1j came from. From a jza70 (1jz supra) basically just extend the harnesss. Idk about the chaser 1j though.

thecarwiz17

Sep 2, 2009
Spring Hill
Well idk! The 7m that's in it is built so idk if I should just put a gte head on and throw a 50 trim on it or I shud spend the money and do a 1j swap! I have access to a auto 1j im guessing from a soarer so I don't know what to do

tsupra

Dec 29, 2005
colorado
thecarwiz17;1398202 said:
Well idk! The 7m that's in it is built so idk if I should just put a gte head on and throw a 50 trim on it or I shud spend the money and do a 1j swap! I have access to a auto 1j im guessing from a soarer so I don't know what to do

there is a bit of a difference between a 7mge and a 7mgte other than one having a turbo. the gte block has oil squirters that cool and lube the bottom of the pistons and the pistons are dished so to lower the compression ratio. oddly enough there is no difference in the heads other than the cams being different and many feel that n/a cams are an upgrade for the turbo motor. so slapping a gte head and turbo to your block isn't the greatest of ideas though it has been done before. you won't be able to run a lot of boost due to the higher compression ratio you have. the simplest thing for you to do if you want a turbo is to find a complete turbo engine, and an 87 to early 89 engine harness and ecu that matches what tranny you have, either manual or auto and the instrument cluster from the same car. the instrument cluster would be needed for the tach, swap that into your cluster. should be an easier swap over than going 1j. should you chose to go 1j and it's from a soarer/chaser then be prepared to spend some cash, a lot of time researching and working on it to get it right.

thecarwiz17

Sep 2, 2009
Spring Hill
Ok! It has CP pistons in it and im pretty sure eagle rods! Im not sure bout the compression ratio but the previous owner told me its turbo ready so idk! If I go 1j what should I look for to know its from a jza70?

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
thecarwiz17;1398240 said:
Ok! It has CP pistons in it and im pretty sure eagle rods! Im not sure bout the compression ratio but the previous owner told me its turbo ready so idk! If I go 1j what should I look for to know its from a jza70?

If you can get a buyer you should sell that 7m you got now with the tranny assuming its a w58...Then with that money buy that jz you can get a hold of and you should have enough money to get the motor mounts from driftmotion and you need a few other parts...Unless you go buy a clip last time i was in the market for one your looken on spending 2500-3500 if you go that route...:kickinthenuts:

thecarwiz17

Sep 2, 2009
Spring Hill
ok so I've made the decision to do a 1j swap...is the aristo motor and the soarer motor the same? They are both automatics but I have a R154 trans

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
thecarwiz17;1398430 said:
ok so I've made the decision to do a 1j swap...is the aristo motor and the soarer motor the same? They are both automatics but I have a R154 trans

Aristo only came with a 2jz, more wiring but I would do it over the 1jz any day of the week.
The soarer is more wiring.

With either the soarer and the aristo, you need the 1jz bellhousing and flywheel.

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
here are some PDF's for wiring up stuff.

Attachments

• 87-89 Supra EWD.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
  • Connector IDs.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • IG1(87-89).pdf
    37.3 KB · Views: 6
  • FuseBox.pdf
    102.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IH1(87-89).pdf
    4.3 KB · Views: 4

Apr 6, 2009
Az
Send both 7m and 1J harnesses and some money to Phoenix Tuning. It's worth every cent. Comes back plug-n-play in a nice, tidy package. I'm sill at war with knock sensor wiring. Experimentation with wiring is only acceptable IF it works the first time. I hate wiring.
Just my two cents.