1JZ Swap? Worth it?

Feb 16, 2007
TN, USA
Ok I own a 89 w/ a 7mge N/A that is completely screwed as of recent just fell apart on me, which was expected since i bought the car cheap, now the question is how big of a pain in the butt is it to swap a 1jz into into it considering they were used in the jap version if i'm not mistaken. Also if I do buy get the engine is there any special parts i need to be aware that I'm going to need in addition. if you want to know what comes w/ engine http://www.osakajdmmotors.com/introtoyota.htm Also it appears this engine does not come w/ an intercooler is that something that you have to have w/ a turbo'd engine or just an add on to help it out? I mean I'd get one eventually anyways, but the key thing is would the car be drivable till i could get the money to get an intercooler kit for it? I'll be doing this myself so i constantly be looking on her for tips and all that, but these were questions i needed to know b4 i even started if so it means i'm w/ out a car a lil longer :icon_evil
Thanks in advance

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
search and you'll find everything you asked for, it's been covered in depth here.

supra8903

Jan 12, 2006
Latham, NY
b4 you ask such a question..... research, and read, and research some more...

and just buy a clip, it will save ya a lot

joe

Feb 16, 2007
TN, USA
supra8903 said:
b4 you ask such a question..... research, and read, and research some more...

and just buy a clip, it will save ya a lot

joe

The only reason I asked b4 doing extensive searchin on forums is b/c i Have to make this purchase today, so I need to know if I can go ahead and get the engine and it work or just buy another 7m-ge N/A to throw in which I rather not do, b/c for me it seems a waste of money but I need to get my car back up and running by the end of next week so I need to have engine on order to get here by mid next week and get in b4 that weekend. So yes normally I would do just like you suggest but I'm short on time, so helpful answers would be appreciated, not just resarch and you'll find. Normally thats what I do for I know these questions have been asked at some point but again don't have the time. Thanks again in advance

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
I would say hell yeah replace that N/A!! Just make sure you have everything you need to swap it. Is a shop doing the install or are you? A couple days seems like a short deadline to swap an engine and get it running....

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
TaSe said:
pft, read read read read!!! Don't rush it!

The only reason I asked b4 doing extensive searchin on forums is b/c i Have to make this purchase today, so I need to know if I can go ahead and get the engine and it work or just buy another 7m-ge N/A

Basicalley he is asking if it will work....the answer is yes. Haha

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
yes its worth it but if i did it all over again i would wait and save a little bit and go 2J

now that i have EVERYTHING i need....oil pan, harness, ecu, motor mounts, bellhousing trans, my swap to the 2J will be a piece of cake and will hopefully be happening within 2007

csnow

Matthew 6:33
Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
I would go with a 2J bottom end. I would probably go with a GE and buy a set of TT pistons or just put a slightly thicker head gasket on it. To buy an entire 2J after having the 1J seems a bit excessive unless you are going to keep the twins. The 2J head does flow better but I think the difference would be marginal with a good single turbo on either the 1.5 or full 2J.

masterchief819

Apr 4, 2006
us
Since you're in tn like me, hit up jarcoinc.com (theyre located in canton, ga i think)

Thats where i got my 1jz clip and they have great service. 1j has been running strong with no problems for almost 6 months now :D

Feb 16, 2007
TN, USA
Ok well I've ordered the engine and paid the 50bucks for the stock 1jz intercooler now I'm trying to find a place that sells the piping so I can hook the damn thing up, lol. So if anyone knows of someplace that sells piping for intercoolers plz let me know. And I'll post up next week and let yall know how the baby runs :naughty: Also I found a 3" universal but since its piping and not hoses if its so called universal will it fit on possibly smaller hole on the intercooler (sry if its not phrased exactly right). Thanks again for all the help.

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
Ric said:
Why 2j over 1j? They both make the same power on the dyno, just one revvs higher and has more useable power (1jz)

yea you can make the same power but the 2J is a far better platform

1J you will need 28psi to make the same power as the 2J can on 21 22 psi....

its just a far better platform...and after talking to HAMSmkiii 1.5JZ is a joke and it would be smarter to go full 2J rather than 1.5JZ

he said he dropped 3K into his 1J heads and he said it BARELY BARELY BARELY outflows a stock 2J head. how shitty is that????? drop 3K to get to the point where a STOCK head flows on a 1600$ engine set has????? sounds dumb to me..i will go 2J cause i want to go 2J not because people tell me its better its cause i KNOW its better.

and building a 700WHP 1J is WAY more expensive than getting an aristo 2J setup and singling it would cost. cause i can sell my 1J long block, sell the stuff from the engine set that i dont need off and use that money to go single. so its like a singled 2JZ in my car for the price of the stock Aristo motor set on ebay....can't beat that.

i will do the 2J cause its what i want not because everyone else is doing it or whatever.

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
Where do you get your info from? All that information is totally an opinion with no hard facts except 1 persons car that has a mismatched unbalanced engine (2jz head on 1jz block). 21psi for a 2JZ and 28 for a 1JZ, thats crazy.

It's VERY easy to build a 700whp 1JZ. Simply add a big turbo, fuel, map-ecu, and basic HKS cams and springs.. If thats hard, IDK whats easy.

There is no solid proof that the 2JZ head flows more then the 1JZ head, but if it does, so what? The 1JZ is a smaller motor, and the head is designed for its displacement. I'm tired of people saying 1JZ's don't make the power, because thats 100% false. People told me my GT40-88 would never spool til 6 grand, and u know what? Im full boost by 4, same spool as a 2jzgte with the same turbo. Duh.

The problem is, everyone puts shitty ebay turbos and baby GT35r turbos on their 1JZ, no one has raised the bar to put something with any decent size on their car. I bet there isnt but 1 1JZ-GTE powered car on this forum that is built to a level that most MKIV cars are. The problem isnt the engine, its the owners and their lack of spending $$ for the correct parts.

As long as people keep putting 60mm turbos, emanages, ebay fmics, and ebay $120 dollar manifolds with ebay wastegates on their 1JZ, no one is ever going to put good power down, of course its going to be a lag monster with no power.

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
i'll stick to the 2JZ and btw 1.5JZ is NOT a 2JZ head on a 1JZ block its the other way around.....just so you know.

and yes there was proof that the 2J head flowed better.

and an unbalanced engine???? HAMS KNOWS what he is doing it was built properly so i will believe him over you. and seeing darin do 9's on stock longblock says something. 1JZ can't do that. hell the cams can't even flow enough on stock twins how pathetic is THAT?!??! i revved my 1J out to 7K and at 6800 you feel it die BAD i dont see 2J's on stock twins doing that.

and stock 2J cams are a DECENT upgrade for 1J's that should tell you something too.

i will go 2J cause i want to go 2J when some hits 9's on a STOCK long block 1JZ then i'll say its worth it to keep it.

dont get me wrong the 1JZ is a FUN motor it just doesn't flow enough to make HUGE power on lower boost levels.

in all honesty all of these should i or shouldn't i threads are all retarded. do whatever the F**K you want who cares what someone else says??? if you can't research and decided what you want then you shouldn't be doing a swap. If you want to put a 4G63 motor in yur supra by all means do it. why??? CAUSE ITS WHAT YOU WANT TO DO!!!!

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
Again, no proof about your claims. Yes, unbalanced engine. A 1jz head isnt designed to flow for the displacement of a 3 liter motor. Its designed for 2.5 liters. If anything, put a 2JZGTE head on a 1JZ (sorry for the typo before).

Right now there is no 9 second stock longblock 1jz's, but there is 10 second ones in MKIV's.

As i said, why don't you see any big power 1JZ's? Because 99% of the 1JZ owner market in America is stock twin or ebay single specials. If you need proof what a 1JZ can do, take a look at our Australian friends.