1jz Standalone Engine Management

boosted4life

Sep 22, 2008
Wyoming
Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE;1139930 said:
I would just go along with a stinger. The 1JZ ecu failure is common. driftmotion is very supportive and its a plug and play ecu. I hear the side feed rails are very restrictive by design and putting a larger injector then 550cc is a waste because they are side feed. If you want more then 500hp get a top feed setup then 750cc will do fine.

Ive never tuned a standalone before. Is it very hard to figure out? Ive only messed with apexi piggy backs on my old stealth TT.

whats everyones opinion on the TTC top feed rail at the bottom of the page here: http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Templates/frmTemplateM7.asp?SubFolderID=3485&SearchYN=N

also, whats the best injectors to use on this? Thanks.

sctwinturbo

May 14, 2007
new jersey
Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE;1139930 said:
I would just go along with a stinger. The 1JZ ecu failure is common. driftmotion is very supportive and its a plug and play ecu. I hear the side feed rails are very restrictive by design and putting a larger injector then 550cc is a waste because they are side feed. If you want more then 500hp get a top feed setup then 750cc will do fine.

if you could get the ecu's aem and stinger (better yet the ems 6860) at the same price which one ?
would you still get the stinger (better yet the big brother ems 6860) ?

sctwinturbo

May 14, 2007
new jersey
Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE;1140971 said:
Thats a tough call, do you have the supra 1jz or a sc 1jz setup the stinger is plug & play with supra from D.M. so for simplicity and less downtime I would pick the stinger if you have the supra setup (2row ECU) I dont know if DM haves the (3row ECU set up). From houres of research ranking standalones I would choose.
1st Motech (very expensive)
2nd Wolf 3D V500
3rd AEM
4th microtech/haltech/etc..

But if I had the option to go with a plug & play ECU (stinger) I would go that way if I wanted the least down time.

I know for sure AEM & Wolf makes a plug and play harness for 2JZ-GTE

Evil thank you for the reply
but here's my thing i built a bad ass engine
put it in to the 1989 supra turbo (1jz built)
the only thing i change my mind on is the block i now want to change to the 2jz block and maybe the 3.4 stroker kit (more torque)
the car is not for the track ( this is my 7th supra and the fastest one ) ( 600rwhp old supra )
all i want the car to do is burn tires at will any gear.
from what your telling me is the EMS 6860 (big brother to the stinger) is fine to use

sctwinturbo

May 14, 2007
new jersey
i did contact Aaron and he told me to go with the 6860 and not the stinger

but what happened is every shop i called to tune the ecu told me something different go with this or this or this or this.

so i was back to square one what ecu can i get that's good but someone here knows how to tune.(NJ)

and Aaron said he would make me a field harness for the 6860
i think i am going to go with the 6860 only because Aaron has never let me down with all the advise and product i bought from him

(AEM $1533.18) (EMS 6860 $1350.00) best deal i can find new

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
I just finnished installing and tuning a Haltech E11 ecu in my car. It is a great system and you cant beat the bang for the buck, it has basicly any option you could want, full sequential ignition and injection, closed loop 02 etc, etc and at under $2000, one of the only features it doesnt have is knock control.....but I hear they are working on it. They also offer the E8 ecu which will run the JZ with batch fire or semi sequential and waste spark, which is fine for an entry level EMS but it has almost as many features as the E11, for about $1500. I am working with Haltech to make a P&P harness for the 1JZ, and they already offer it for the MK4.

But like any standalone, its only gonna run as good as its tuned, you will have to spend a good chunk of time getting it to run smootly at all rpms/ load points.

Randy

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
knock control

explosion detector after the explosion takes place.;)

It is a reactive method and not a preventive one.

EvilEmpire1.3jz-GTE

(Tec³) (megasquirt) (AEMAEM) (AEMSTINGER) (AEMWOLF) (motech)

That list?

What is AEMStinger, AEMWolf?

Turbo Drifter

Dec 8, 2005
Surrey, BC Canada
sctwinturbo;1141214 said:
Evil thank you for the reply
but here's my thing i built a bad ass engine
put it in to the 1989 supra turbo (1jz built)
the only thing i change my mind on is the block i now want to change to the 2jz block and maybe the 3.4 stroker kit (more torque)
the car is not for the track ( this is my 7th supra and the fastest one ) ( 600rwhp old supra )
all i want the car to do is burn tires at will any gear.
from what your telling me is the EMS 6860 (big brother to the stinger) is fine to use

You are looking at running a $9K motor with a entry level system? Why are you cheaping out on the most importand part of the package?

If you have spent all the $$ on the engine atleast spend money on a decent EMS. I would be looking at nothing less than Motec or Autronic for that with Haltech or AEM as a 2nd choice.

I also would not trust runing off a 17 year old wiring harness. So plug and play with somthing like that is a silly idea. Its like getting big fake tits for your 90 year old grand mother.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE;1141240 said:
If your not even sure which ECU look at all of them.
(Tec³) (megasquirt) (AEMAEM) (AEMSTINGER) (AEMWOLF) (motech) (HALTECH) (HKS dont cost to much to tune) (Techtom dont cost to much to tune)

Things to consider when buying
Tunning knowledge (must pay tunner if not)
Wiring (must pay shop to install)
Plug & Play options
Input/Output options like knock sensing boost controlling etc ISC stepper motor compatable compatable to factory sensors like TEC3 is not you must add a high Resolution tooth wheel to set up positioning signals.
which technology is better more state of the art like HALTECH uses DOS lol AEMWOLF uses a very grafical interface but its complex to interperate works in windows with .net programing.
customer support
does it have a built in 3 bar map sensor built in options like turbo timer.
Does this ecu come with an intergratable display option MOTEC & AEMWOLF does for sure.

Ok Haltech is tuned on Windows, not DOS. WTF is AEMWOLF, AEMSTINGER??

I would compare Wolf to Autronic and Haltech like this Autronic>Haltech> Wolf.

The only advice I have for sctwinturbo is look at what other people are running at the power level you are looking for and go from there. I'm sure you will really only find 2 diffrent EMS's runnig those cars Motec and AEM.

Jeremy

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE;1142403 said:
Dang there is 3 AEM companys why dont people get this someone sticky this lol

(1ST)
97538f74-0e73-42e8-b7f0-ab6fc1ba2af6.jpg

4e1355eb-0647-4af1-b6c1-971aa9dba44f.jpg

http://www.aempower.com
Advanced Engine Management, Inc.
2205 126th Street, Unit A
Hawthorne Ca. 90250
Phone: (310) 484-2322
Fax: (310) 484-0152

(2ND)
logo.jpg

Stinger.jpg
6860.jpg

http://www.enginemanagement.com.au
Automotive Engine Management
Po Box 120
Flagstaff Hill SA 5159
Australia
Telephone: +61 8 8387 9488

(3RD)
Aemlogo.png

00000895_635751.gif

http://www.wolfems.com
Advanced Engine Management is located at:
22 Melrich Road
Bayswater, Victoria
Australia 3153
Phone: (03) 9761 3161 (Australia)
+613 9761 3161 (International)
Fax: (03) 9761 3162 (Australia)
+613 9761 3162 (International)
Email: enquiries@wolfems.com.au

You forgot a couple of things.

Advanced Engine Management Pty Ltd for Wolf. The issue is that they produce the wolf and have always called it the Wolf. There is no other system in the world with the Wolf Trademark for an EMS. Same with MoTeC and Haltech. The AEM EMS was produced by GEMS out of the UK.

Don't do that. It just confuses people and it is not needed as most companies have trademarked their respective names.

It is the Wolf EMS and specifically the Wolf V500 at this point in time.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE;1142418 said:
MOTEC > or = WOLF > AEM >haltec/autronic/megasquirt/TEC³ > HKS FCOV > Tec tom

I am curious as to how did you come to this conclusion?

The reason I say this is because not everyone NEEDS options like DBW control, remote telemetry etc. So the real deciding factor is what is needed from the EMS from the user/installer?

Because in reality

Pectel > Bosch Motronic > Magentti Marelli > EFI Technologies > ORB > MoTeC

if we take in on price or support (and they charge an arm and a leg for that Support).

MoTeC is not the be all end all solution for every motor out there. It helps that it is modular but the price when it is compared against other consumer focused EMS is pretty high. Against custom race series EMS it is bargain basement prices.

sctwinturbo

May 14, 2007
new jersey
Turbo Drifter;1142109 said:
You are looking at running a $9K motor with a entry level system? Why are you cheaping out on the most importand part of the package?

If you have spent all the $$ on the engine atleast spend money on a decent EMS. I would be looking at nothing less than Motec or Autronic for that with Haltech or AEM as a 2nd choice.

I also would not trust runing off a 17 year old wiring harness. So plug and play with somthing like that is a silly idea. Its like getting big fake tits for your 90 year old grand mother.

Ok Haltech is tuned on Windows, not DOS. WTF is AEMWOLF, AEMSTINGER??

I would compare Wolf to Autronic and Haltech like this Autronic>Haltech> Wolf.

The only advice I have for sctwinturbo is look at what other people are running at the power level you are looking for and go from there. I'm sure you will really only find 2 diffrent EMS's runnig those cars Motec and AEM.

Jeremy

i have been asking around and it's all mixed thoughts
i found out yesterday that the AEM has no safety limits ???
(no rev limit on a rev happy motor)
i never had this problem before my past supras were all piggy back

so i need a ecu that i can drive on the street and sometimes rip somebody a new a$$
i want a duel tune
1. street driving economy
stop changed tunes
2. track mode

this is all i wanted
what more do i need
there is like 200 computers out there ? (which one do i need)
do i really have go over board for stuff i maybe never used

the EMS 6860 : has full 720 degree sequential injection, a closed loop lamdba, built in 60psi MAP sensor and a lot of other stuff
map sensor i know
but what the hell is lamdba ? (dont reply to this comment)
i cant dance ?
back to question what ecu to go with ??
evil was only given me his opinion
and i would like your opinion on what ecu to go with
did not mean to start a fight

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
sctwinturbo;1142982 said:
i have been asking around and it's all mixed thoughts
i found out yesterday that the AEM has no safety limits ???
(no rev limit on a rev happy motor)

NO Standalone has limits. They are programmed into the EMS as you set it up for your configuration!

i never had this problem before my past supras were all piggy back

so i need a ecu that i can drive on the street and sometimes rip somebody a new a$$
i want a duel tune
stop changed tunes
2. track mode

this is all i wanted
what more do i need
there is like 200 computers out there ? (which one do i need)
do i really have go over board for stuff i maybe never used

the EMS 6860 : has full 720 degree sequential injection, a closed loop lamdba, built in 60psi MAP sensor and a lot of other stuff
map sensor i know
but what the hell is lamdba ? (dont reply to this comment)
i cant dance ?
back to question what ecu to go with ??
evil was only given me his opinion
and i would like your opinion on what ecu to go with
did not mean to start a fight

Well that is a general question.

The requirements you gave are not really requirements save for perhaps one. The DUAL tune (not duel! You are not putting the tunes to fight each other!) can be considered a requirement

a new a$$
i want a duel tune
stop changed tunes
2. track mode

The real question is;

What is your budget?
Who is going to tune it for you (ALL EMS require tuning)?
Is the tuner in question close or are they a relative far drive?
What else do you need out of the EMS? (DBW, Communcaition with the stock Dash via CANBus messages etc).

Lots of unanswered questions from you.

sctwinturbo

May 14, 2007
new jersey
The real question is;

What is your budget?
i wanted to be near $1000. but willing to go up for what i need
so if you tell me a $3000. and i can find a deal for $2500. i might take it

right now it looks like a place called R.P.M. in long island NY
like 80 miles from me (trust issue with thief's thats why so far)
What else do you need out of the EMS?
on the street with an economy tune then change tune to a track mode.

i was told if i build the a computer in the car (laptop).
i can drive on the street with a economy tune and then stop load a reprogram track tune for racing (switching back and forth as needed)

Lots of unanswered questions from you.[/QUOTE]

basically my street racing days are over and i built this as a hot rod for me
all i wanted was a tire burner and i went a little overboard (maybe a lot overboard)
not interested in 1/4 times

thanks
Shane

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
sctwinturbo;1143064 said:
figgie said:
The real question is;

What is your budget?
i wanted to be near $1000. but willing to go up for what i need
so if you tell me a $3000. and i can find a deal for $2500. i might take it (well I got some bad news. You are only looking at the purchase of the standalone. How about sensors? Harness? Tuning is not free. Dyno time is not free. Race gas is not free.)

right now it looks like a place called R.P.M. in long island NY
like 80 miles from me (trust issue with thief's thats why so far)
What else do you need out of the EMS?
on the street with an economy tune then change tune to a track mode.

That is not an EMS need. That is a TUNING need.

i was told if i build the a computer in the car (laptop). (you could do that but not needed on a properly tuned car).
i can drive on the street with a economy tune and then stop load a reprogram track tune for racing (switching back and forth as needed)

you could do that but it would be pointless and the map would have to be for the fuel you are using and not what you are doing. IE A different tuning map for 91/93 octane gasoline v a different fuel/ign map for C16. Also some standalones allow for multiple maps be loaded and one analog switch controls which maps is being used.

Lots of unanswered questions from you.

basically my street racing days are over and i built this as a hot rod for me
all i wanted was a tire burner and i went a little overboard (maybe a lot overboard)
not interested in 1/4 times

thanks
Shane

replies in red.

-figgie

sctwinturbo

May 14, 2007
new jersey
figgie that is the budget for the ecu only

like i said i have only used piggy back before now i am getting a standalone

yes i don't know what i am doing !!

what is your advise on the ecu that i need to do the things i want ?
put the money aside and only the things i want to do which ecu do you think?

(it was so much easier with piggy backs)

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
sctwinturbo;1143089 said:
figgie that is the budget for the ecu only

like i said i have only used piggy back before now i am getting a standalone

yes i don't know what i am doing !!

what is your advise on the ecu that i need to do the things i want ?
put the money aside and only the things i want to do which ecu do you think?

(it was so much easier with piggy backs)

a piggy back will always be easier :)

People scream AEM EMS! The issue as I have pointed out, is in the end, The AEM EMS is still a full fledged standalone regardless of how easy the install it.

Honestly I can not even recomend an EMS to you with the little information that you have given. :)

There is a plethora of information on this very forum located at Standalone Engine Management forums.

thyere there is EFI101 and finally, google. You will need to do some homework and findout what a standalone does in it basic form and then the options (or lack there of) each comapny has with their respective product. That is LOTS of reading and understanding for you to do ;)

sctwinturbo

May 14, 2007
new jersey
Also some standalones allow for multiple maps be loaded and one analog switch controls which maps is being used.

this is what i am looking for