1jz stall

JASONA70

nomnomnom
Oct 27, 2006
socal
its either my ecu is bad or the turbos are bad. i pulled out the twins and inspected them, they're no visual damage. im guessing its my ecu, but ive been driving the car with the ecu for about a whole year and the ecu hasnt been giving me any problem of any sort. any ideas?

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
I wouldn't be so quick to blame the ECU. Electrical problem doesn't mean your ECU is dead.

What's your car doing? Check your wiring to things that would keep the car from running or running good. TPS, cam sensors, crank sensor, coils, etc

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
If it stalls while driving, probably wiring. Wiggle your harness in every place possible while the car is running. If it ever dies, then you have bad wiring.

JASONA70

nomnomnom
Oct 27, 2006
socal
The car doesn't stall instantly, it looses power then it stalls. when i try to start it up again, i see a large amounts of smoke coming from the tail pipe. the car doesn't start, it just cranks up and idles for like .5 second and just dies. the only way i got it to start was pushing on the throttle and revving it while i cranked it up.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
I just fixed 4 ecu's this week alone, with caps leaking on the pc board, and since the electrolyte is acidic, it ate through the traces on some of the boards causing major problems. I am going to start offering a repair service for them, it's really becomming a big problem for a lot of people. It does seem to be random, the car runs fine, then just starts running like crap one day. One I repaired just would not start. One would run super rich and bog down. On one, the idle was surging from 700 to about 2k, even with the ISC disconnected! On Jay's car when we first started it and the dp was not tightened yet, it was running so rich that gas was literally pouring out of the turbo!!! If you have not replaced the caps on your ecu, do it now, they are ALL going to fail at some point. The rest of the 1jz engine is so reliable, and so many ecu's are going bad, that the the ecu is the FIRST thing I would look at for the problems you described.

Last edited:

JASONA70

nomnomnom
Oct 27, 2006
socal
ya it runs really really rich after i start it up again. i can even smell it. its like driving a mobile gas station, but why would there be blue smoke!? :icon_conf

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
SuperSupraKid said:
ya it runs really really rich after i start it up again. i can even smell it. its like driving a mobile gas station, but why would there be blue smoke!? :icon_conf
That's your ECU, I can guarantee it.

If there's a LOT of gas, then it will smoke bluish white. My car did that when it was idling like 7:1 :)

T701jz

3M ENGINEER - R.&.D
Jul 23, 2005
Santa Clarita Ca.
bigaaron said:
I just fixed 4 ecu's this week alone, with caps leaking on the pc board, and since the electrolyte is acidic, it ate through the traces on some of the boards causing major problems. I am going to start offering a repair service for them, it's really becomming a big problem for a lot of people. It does seem to be random, the car runs fine, then just starts running like crap one day. One I repaired just would not start. One would run super rich and bog down. On one, the idle was surging from 700 to about 2k, even with the ISC disconnected! On Jay's car when we first started it and the dp was not tightened yet, it was running so rich that gas was literally pouring out of the turbo!!! If you have not replaced the caps on your ecu, do it now, they are ALL going to fail at some point. The rest of the 1jz engine is so reliable, and so many ecu's are going bad, that the the ecu is the FIRST thing I would look at for the problems you described.
Would you think the problem is at the wiring? My only experience with caps going bad is life (dried out) and others with over voltage causing the caps to over heat(caps leaking on the pc board, and since the electrolyte is acidic).

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Usually electrolytic capacitors only fail if the working voltage rating is exceeded, but age and/or high temperatures can also cause a problem. I know it does get very hot in the dash of a Supra, but I'm not sure what causes the failures, probably a combination of things.

IIRC I heard there was a company back in the days when our ecu's were being produced that was making faulty capacitors that failed in other types of electronic equipment, not just automotive.

JASONA70

nomnomnom
Oct 27, 2006
socal
ok so i was really bored today and i was kind of emo because my car wasnt running, and my highschool year book club called me and asked if i was free to take some pictures, i couldnt deny them. i went to the school to take a couple of snap shots, and guess what happens?! this does.

http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o235/SuperSupraKid/Super Supra/?action=view&current=P5120057.flv

the car stalled 2 times on a big street and 1 time on my street. :biglaugh: i wasnt going to take it out but i really wanted my baby to get into the highschool year book.

JASONA70

nomnomnom
Oct 27, 2006
socal
oh ya dont mind the honda kids in the background. they are just kids :nono: i wanted to video tape the damage so i could show the community but the honda kids had to ruin it. :icon_conf

HIDPLANET

89 1JZGTE
SSK and Aaron,
This is EXACTLY what my car was doing when it started smoking.
It would do this usually after temps got to a normal operating temp....once Aaron replaced the caps in teh ECU it NEVER came back. Gotta recap your ECU man.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
935motorsports said:
If the twins were smoking, the car would still run fine.

It sounded lumpy. Sounds like one of the injectors is on full dump.

I agree, and if it is running that rich it's not good for the rings and cylinder walls. I would suggest borrowing another car until the problem is solved.

JASONA70

nomnomnom
Oct 27, 2006
socal
ya i wasnt going to drive it until i got it fixed, but it was my graduating class's car club. i had to take the pictures. im jdm tyte!

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

:love:

it was just an exception, just today!