1JZ running like crap after it rains

SupraFan55

Inline Engine Enthusiast
May 1, 2007
Florida
Hey everyone, I would like some advice and and some input on a situation a friend of mine experiences whenever it rains. As soon as he starts up the car after it has rained the car revs up and down multiple times and and even holds the throttle while on the road after he takes his foot off the gas. However, after a 10-15 min drive after shutting down the car and restarting it immediately after the behavior is gone. Both him and I think it has something to do with his wiring or even the igniter and ecu. He checked his ecu and it's dry but we have yet to check the igniter to see if it's filled with water. I'm also thinking maybe some bad wiring is the culprit of this. Any input is greatly appreciated.

I read a few threads up and it seems that we have to check the connectors going to the cps and coil packs. Did anyone else have this issue? Crap idle whenever it rains and after driving for 10 mins its gone?

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
is it just the idle that is affected?? will it boost normally when cold?

i would check wiring to all plugs on/near intake manifold for possible shorting, etc.

or park it in a garage or just cover it.

if you can't find the problem, don't let it happen??...maybe

Last edited by a moderator:

SupraFan55

Inline Engine Enthusiast
May 1, 2007
Florida
I believe it boosts normally, the idle is the issue, it will jump up and down on a startup after it rains, on the street it can do the same. After 10 mins its gone and is back to normal revving and idle behavior.

SupraFan55

Inline Engine Enthusiast
May 1, 2007
Florida
annoyingrob said:
Mine used to do that too. I thought it was just because the car was sucking up water, but the problem went away when I went standalone, so I have no idea.

Could it be the ecu then? You're running Stinger right?

kikwear002

Oct 16, 2006
Ft myers florida
88mkIIIproject said:
if you had some time, you could pull the harness off the engine and inspect each connection...or go standalone and build a new harness!
Thats what i did, didnt take too long, felt good to know that i checked it all

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
SupraFan55 said:
Could it be the ecu then? You're running Stinger right?
It's very possible, but I don't see why it would be. I actually think it has something to do with the ISCV now that I think about it. I think the ISCV get moisture in it, and sticks. I got fed up with trying to get the ISCV to work properly, I've been running without one for quite some time.

And no, I don't run a Stinger. I run an HKS V-Pro.