1JZ rebuild time! Questions->recommendations needed!

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Ok guys, its crunch time for my motor finally. This weeked i plan to tear it down completely since its now out of the car, bolt it to a pallet of some sort, and carry it on over to the machine shop.

I just wanted some input on any parts i may have forgotten or left out, and any tips you 1JZ gurus may have for me...

A Single turbo setup is in the works, im probably going to run a Precision SC6265 Billet BB turbo and the T4 manifold from driftmotion. Ill also grab the 24x12x3" FMIC and 2.5" pipes. But that will all come later, hopefully next month.

Im shooting for around 480-500 rwhp on pump gas. And want a pretty responsive setup. I will be doing some AutoX and track racing. Not a big fan of Drag racing, though i may do it occasionally.

Parts List:
1JZ aluminum flywheel (11.5lb)
ARP flywheel bolts
R154 trans rebuild kit
OEM clutch slave cylinder
AEM Uego wideband o2
Crower 272 cams with upgraded springs and titanium retainers.
540cc Sard Fuel injectors
Aeromotive Fuel pressure regulator
South Bend stage 3 full face clutch kit
ARP head studs
Heavy duty bearing cover plate And poly shifter bushing for R154 trans
Tial 50mm blow off valve
1st gear thrust washer
New oil pressure sender
Stinger Standalone + PnP Harness
ST Sway Bars
Energy Poly Bushings
2JZ oil pump (new)
1JZ power steering pump (new)
Greddy timing belt
Complete 1JZ gasket set w/ headgasket
Nashman Short shifter
DM aluminum pully set

My #1 concern is my head gasket so far, and the crank bearings. How do i determine what thikness HG to run? And is it ok for me to wait and get the right size bearings when the machine shop has finished knife edging the crank so we can get correct sizes? And what brand bearings to go with? I was planing to use Power Enterprise bearing from MVP Motorsports.

Also, should i go ahead and grab some forged pistons? Or will i be ok without them?

Any help is greatly aprreciated! I want to build this motor to last, so im trying to buy what i need now, so the engine as reliable as possible.

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Why ACL. Dont get me wrong, they make great stuff, but the Power Enterprise bearings look to be superior in design and reliability, unless some has expereinced otherwise?

Jostar

AEM powered 1JZGTE!!!
May 21, 2007
Chicago
pbasil1;1276959 said:
Why ACL. Dont get me wrong, they make great stuff, but the Power Enterprise bearings look to be superior in design and reliability, unless some has expereinced otherwise?

I have used them in the past with great success, 10K RPM on a 2.0 4g63 mitsu motor & they haven't fail... My friend jake, He just fully built his 1jz using the ACL bearing, He is a member here too... He hasn't finish with the built though..

staticpage

Banned: Scammer, liar, cheat and thief
Oct 3, 2007
Cincinnati
In my opinion Toyota sized bearings are the best thing you could use not a one size fits most. When building a k20 to rev to 12k no one uses anything other than Honda standard bearing diameters. I would think it’s the same for most engines. Now if we could only just use Honda bearings. Because there are so many different sizes of honda bearings, an engine builder can have exactly the same clearance on every journal. This is why NASCAR engine builders have cranks made that can accept standard Honda bearing diameters.

josh930

Jan 14, 2006
NY
You dont need new pistons for that amount of hp. I think someone on here is making 700hp with stock pistons. You can either get the 1jz rings from japan or use mr2 turbo rings which are the same size. I know about the mr2 rings because I used them and matched them up to the original 1jz rings and they are exactly the same size and thickness. If you need any info or have any questions on it pm me. I just got done with a 1jz rebuild. josh

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Ok, thanks for all the replies. I think im going to stick with the ACL bearings, and save a few dollars over the Power enterprise bearings.

Now how do i determine what thickness head gasket i need? Any insight would be awesome!

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Question. I was dissasembling the motor the other day, and found 2 broken sensors on the block. One actually in the pan right next to the dipstick port, and the other near the top of the block under the intake. I have a pic. Please help me identify the sensors, and maybe give some insight where i can find replacements... Thank guys!

p1280802_1.jpg

p1280802_2.jpg

dogdrake

Oct 25, 2008
Gadsden Alabama
The top looks like the knock sensor ,the bottom is the oil level sensor.Should be the same sensors as the 2jz ,you can get them at toyota.or post in the wtb section.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
I would use 3" piping because most IC use them and the inlet for the intake is 2.75" it better to go a little bigger then smaller.

I would go for a multi plate clutch with lighter flywheel and easier to slip for drifting or autox then a puck clutch.

Also maybe a 1 piece DS & aluminum pully kit.

I/We dont know your fuel delivery do you plan to use duel walbros or single high hp fuel pump?

Other then that you look ready to go.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Pat, the machine shop will have to order the bearings once the get through with the crank.........or at least they can tell you what to order.

When you get it built, I have my 1jz files saved on my laptop. It'll be close enough to get you running and then you can fine tune it.

Your stinger ems doesn't read the knock sensors either. You can probably figure out a way to run it to one of the auxilary ports if you wanted too. That's what I plan on doing in the future. Right now, I've ordered a gauge that wires into the stock knock sensor and runs yellow, green or red kinda like an AFR gauge.

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
suprahero;1282514 said:
Pat, the machine shop will have to order the bearings once the get through with the crank.........or at least they can tell you what to order.

When you get it built, I have my 1jz files saved on my laptop. It'll be close enough to get you running and then you can fine tune it.

Your stinger ems doesn't read the knock sensors either. You can probably figure out a way to run it to one of the auxilary ports if you wanted too. That's what I plan on doing in the future. Right now, I've ordered a gauge that wires into the stock knock sensor and runs yellow, green or red kinda like an AFR gauge.

That sux! speaking of the machine shop. whats the number of the place you went to? i wanna give them a call and see what they can do for me. You had a good experience with them didnt you?

link to this knock sensor your looking at jay?

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
suprahero;1283760 said:
Here's the link to the one I ordered. All it does is monitor it though. It doesn't correct anything. I"m only wanting it so I can tune with it.
http://www.casperselectronics.com/store2/product_info.php?products_id=597

The machine shop I used is Precision Automotive in Birmingham. 1-205-323-7922, ask for Ralph.

Sweet deal Jay, thanks. Let me know how that sensor works put for you... I may grab one if you have good success with it.