1JZ rebuild questions.

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
I just bought this supra with the 1JZ swap done. The tranny and engine both need rebuilt. My questions are, what should i rebuild, where can i get the heads done and what do i need to have done for the transmission? I have never done any of this, im a broke college kid, so budget is small compared to what some of you have done.... I figure i have about 5000 to spend on the rebuild.

Will it be ok to just reuse the bottom end of the motor, keeping the crank, rods and pistons, but replacing the wrist pins and journal bearings if all the surfaces look ok. As well as resurfacing the block. Then completely rebuilding and upgrading the heads if its not too expensive. I would like to get them ported and polished, but again, it depends on budget.

I also have to buy all the necessary parts to fix my fuel cut problem. walbro 255, fuel injectors and some type of engine management something or another to tune the motor with?

Im asking what parts do i need, and where can i purchase all these parts at the best price. Im not sure exactly what i need, so im open for your expertise. I have no major goal for big HP right now, i just want to get the motor and tranny running strong, then over the next year or so i will start bolting on performance parts.

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
http://www.driftmotion.com/

Here is a link for much of what your looking for including your R154 rebuild kit.

Aaron is a very active member here on the forum and one hell of a guy. He even flew his ass to Alabama to help Jay get his car running.

If you want my honest opinion, if your engine is fubar, just buy a complete engine from Aaron. It will be less money in the long run!!
http://store.driftmotion.com/productdetails.php?sid=147a646bc6ea06&product_id_int=186

The stock 1J is capable of well over 500RWHP with the right turbo and fuel set up. All the work is done for you since the swap has already been done on your car. If you choose to go the rebuilding route check with Jay (Suprahero) for shops in your area. I know he knows a shop that does headwork cheep!!

If you want to make any real HP you need to get off the stock CT12's!! Those turbo's will only get you about 3-350RWHP with all the right mods including Walbro, Aeromotive FPR, MK4 440's, engine managment, and a boost controler. Most 1J owners go single to make bigger numbers!! There are tons of threads here on engine managment, 1J performance how too ect!! Members get kinda crabby answering the same questions over and over again so search on everything before you ask. I hope I have answered some basic's for you!!!

Good Luck

Last edited:

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
Do a complete leakdown test before you do anything, it will tell you a lot about what you need to do....

I had to LOL when I read "I just bought"...."needs rebuild"...."broke college kid"....

The1

Too poor to be here..:(
May 24, 2007
Austin, TX
How about I just drive to Huntville and we swap..lol. But I can't let you get my 87FTW tag..lol(Troy tag FTMFW) But seriously, like everybody said, we have different vendors that sell the things you are looking for at good prices. If I'm not mistaken, if you want to keep things close to stock, 5k should take you a long way.

<<<wish i had 5k :(

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
what is wrong wiht the car to need a rebuild?

in the long run it might be easier to buy a new 1jz longblock to swap in. Much faster, less money, less work.. but its used (not really a big deal imo)...

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
tissimo;909061 said:
what is wrong wiht the car to need a rebuild?

in the long run it might be easier to buy a new 1jz longblock to swap in. Much faster, less money, less work.. but its used (not really a big deal imo)...

My point exactly. Other than detonation, it's pretty much indestructible. Jose put a ton of miles on his without failure, so I would make sure something is wrong before I tore into it.

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
rakkasan;909070 said:
My point exactly. Other than detonation, it's pretty much indestructible. Jose put a ton of miles on his without failure, so I would make sure something is wrong before I tore into it.
Well ive got a blown head gasket and leaking rear main seal. The previous owner was an 18yr high school kid that lost his license for evading police... He drove this car like he stole every chance he got...

There is radiator fluid leaking into the oil. Plus you can see fresh standing oil on top of the intake manifold runner. The bottom of the car and tranny are soaked in motor oild which makes me pretty sure the rear main seal is bad.

Since i have to pull the entire top end of the motor apart, would it not be smart to just go ahead and rebuild while im there? I mean sure, if the pistons and block look to be in great shape, i probably wont touch them... It just makes sense to me to rebuild it.

The tranny is also shot.Syncros are horrible i can shift fast under load. I hit a wall as i would call it when trying to through it in 2nd if i shift fast. The clutch engages in the very last inch of pedal though, and is very chattery. Makes me think its been wet with motor oil from the leaking rear main seal and was driven very hard. So that i will be rebuilding....

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
pbasil1;909135 said:
Well ive got a blown head gasket and leaking rear main seal. The previous owner was an 18yr high school kid that lost his license for evading police... He drove this car like he stole every chance he got...

There is radiator fluid leaking into the oil. Plus you can see fresh standing oil on top of the intake manifold runner. The bottom of the car and tranny are soaked in motor oild which makes me pretty sure the rear main seal is bad.

Since i have to pull the entire top end of the motor apart, would it not be smart to just go ahead and rebuild while im there? I mean sure, if the pistons and block look to be in great shape, i probably wont touch them... It just makes sense to me to rebuild it.

The tranny is also shot.Syncros are horrible i can shift fast under load. I hit a wall as i would call it when trying to through it in 2nd if i shift fast. The clutch engages in the very last inch of pedal though, and is very chattery. Makes me think its been wet with motor oil from the leaking rear main seal and was driven very hard. So that i will be rebuilding....

Oh now I see what the problem is.. its simple.. see you must have a 7m :ugh:

Any in any case, joking aside.. its most likely gonna be cheaper to get a new longblock unless you wanna build the engine for some purpose thats not apparent.

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Dylan JZ;909250 said:
Oh now I see what the problem is.. its simple.. see you must have a 7m :ugh:

Any in any case, joking aside.. its most likely gonna be cheaper to get a new longblock unless you wanna build the engine for some purpose thats not apparent.

Surely a pre-built long block would cost just as much if not more than if i were to rebuild it myself? I dont see the point... If your suggesting for me to buy a used block, and swap it in, whats to say that its in better shape than my current one?

Plus i think it would be smart to go ahead and rebuild what i can while its apart so when the day comes that i switch the turbos for larger ones, the motor is ready for 500+ hp.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
pbasil1;909256 said:
Surely a pre-built long block would cost just as much if not more than if i were to rebuild it myself? I dont see the point... If your suggesting for me to buy a used block, and swap it in, whats to say that its in better shape than my current one?

Plus i think it would be smart to go ahead and rebuild what i can while its apart so when the day comes that i switch the turbos for larger ones, the motor is ready for 500+ hp.

These motors can take more than that on stock bottom end without showing any signs of fail.. Of course building is the better option, however a pricey one regardless. Especially if you had a shop do it, though it would still be expensive on your end for parts.

But suppose you have a point and you're gonna do what you think is best anyways, "those convinced against their will, are of the same opinion still."

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
thats why you pt a 2jzge block in and transform to a 1.5jz ;) 200$ usually for a 2jzge bottom block. and i doubt anything is wrong with your head. and its not too expensive to rebuild a bottom block if you are really obsessing over it, or to build it to whatever horsepower you are wanting unless you want well over 1,000 to which point 80&#37; of the board will stop talking to you. 2jz bottom ends are beefy and seals are always cheap.

and its about 225$ for a rebuild kit you can get it done locally or do it yourself (if you have tools that is) i think Marlin crawlers rebuild kits were around 500? (not 100% on this one just a complete guess)

5000 is alot to have when you already have the jz in the car - 1.5jz conversion and trans rebuild (or hell buy a new one from toyota) and you'll be set.

or throw in a 2jzgte! :p use your jz electronics *giggles like a schoolgirl*

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Pat, the machine shop that has my block charges $300.00 to rebuild the motor using old parts or new parts that you give them or they order and you pay for. They will bore the block if necessary, which it was for my block, they clean it in the bat or whatever they call it, they deck the block, and they rebuild the head for $250.00. I would definately rebuild it. I bought some awesome pistons for my 2jz from a guy that lives in Huntsville and drives a silver MKIV. You may know him. His website is http://www.velocityperformance.net/store/product.php?productid=8&cat=9&bestseller=Y and I think his name is Keith. He's going to the Texas meet as well.
Let me know if I can help you with anything. You have my number. Good luck.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
tlo86;909417 said:
thats why you pt a 2jzge block in and transform to a 1.5jz ;) 200$ usually for a 2jzge bottom block. and i doubt anything is wrong with your head. and its not too expensive to rebuild a bottom block if you are really obsessing over it, or to build it to whatever horsepower you are wanting unless you want well over 1,000 to which point 80&#37; of the board will stop talking to you. 2jz bottom ends are beefy and seals are always cheap.

and its about 225$ for a rebuild kit you can get it done locally or do it yourself (if you have tools that is) i think Marlin crawlers rebuild kits were around 500? (not 100% on this one just a complete guess)

5000 is alot to have when you already have the jz in the car - 1.5jz conversion and trans rebuild (or hell buy a new one from toyota) and you'll be set.

or throw in a 2jzgte! :p use your jz electronics *giggles like a schoolgirl*

Man, I didnt even think to say 1.5J.. (sigh) Look at it this way, Taka Ueno only used mildy built (P&R) 1.5J's in his drift jzz30's and beat on them for long periods of time before rebuilds.

Plus you may even get some of that stuff.. what was it called again? O.. Torque :D

[cries]

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
pbasil1;909536 said:
Ok, so let me consider the 2j bottom end. Where exactly might i find one for cheap??

junkyards, craiglist, ebay lol supramania for sale section. i usually see the lexus 2jzge's (the full engine+harness) on craigslist for 500$ish same with ebay- usually you can talk someone down to take the bottom end for yourself

The1

Too poor to be here..:(
May 24, 2007
Austin, TX
suprahero;909418 said:
Pat, the machine shop that has my block charges $300.00 to rebuild the motor using old parts or new parts that you give them or they order and you pay for. They will bore the block if necessary, which it was for my block, they clean it in the bat or whatever they call it, they deck the block, and they rebuild the head for $250.00. I would definately rebuild it. I bought some awesome pistons for my 2jz from a guy that lives in Huntsville and drives a silver MKIV. You may know him. His website is http://www.velocityperformance.net/store/product.php?productid=8&cat=9&bestseller=Y and I think his name is Keith. He's going to the Texas meet as well.
Let me know if I can help you with anything. You have my number. Good luck.

Jay, you must hook me up with your people. See, this is why me and you need to start hanging out...lol

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
You have my number and I can give you my address. I'm always looking for cool people to hang out with, although I have a 10:00 curfew............:biglaugh: