1jz random missfires

mk3concepts

1j on the way!
Apr 2, 2006
Bay Area, Une Town
so like the tille says..random missfires..which causes alot of smoking..through the exhuast and from engine bay..sounds like a lawn mower..or like the engine blew..or a wrx...

i already got my ecu re-capped.........this happens mostly in the morning...and its not often

any idea what it could be?

also the i can smell gas that is not being burned

mk3concepts

1j on the way!
Apr 2, 2006
Bay Area, Une Town
ok i just checked the coilpacks..and i checked if it sparks or not..they all spark...right where the rubber boots is..but it doest spark where the it ends where the whole is..the spark starts right where the boot starts..is that supposed to happen?

Freshmaker

Feb 3, 2007
Oconomowoc, Wi
I don't completely understand where your describing, but the only place you should get spark is out of the spark plug.

You checked them with a spark plug in them right?

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Have you looked under the boot yet to look for cracks?

Just the fact that the spark is ABLE to spark out the side of the coil pack is an issue. While yes there is usually a spark plug there, you have proven that the spark is able to ground itself out without going to the cyl, creating a misfire.

Members here have come up with several ways to MacGyver cracked coil packs. just search.

gtepowerplant

A 1/4 pounder at a time
Jan 3, 2010
Palm Beach, FL
About a month ago a similar thing happened to me, the car would start missing and sounded exactly like a WRX.

We looked at the plugs, coil packs, harness, ECU, everything. Just tinkering under the hood out of frustration after a few hours and found the #5 injector clip was loose and that is what was causing the WRX sound.

Hopefully you will be as lucky.