1jz not starting sometimes.

Nalleywhacker

Formerly gnarkill87
Oct 2, 2006
chattanooga,TN
Its not my car but a friends, There's a couple problems with the car, 1 theres a knocking noise comeing from the head he says, i have not heard it yet cause when i went over too it wouldnt start. it cranks just fine, its got gas i know, eighter monday or wed, iam taking a spark tester and a compression tester. but could it be timing related? and how do you go about adjusting timing on a 1j?

I think its probally a compression problem if he's also getting some bad noises from the head, but if its not compression or spark i was wonder if anyone knows whats some other stuff to look for.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
He could have some of his valve clearances off causing the knocking noise from the head.

Try taking another ECU with you when you go crank it since these seem to go bad on a regular basis. Make sure it's getting fuel and spark. Report back once you've found out a little more about his car. Good luck.

Nalleywhacker

Formerly gnarkill87
Oct 2, 2006
chattanooga,TN
Well after putting my ecu, coil packs, ingniter, and battery on the car, The damn spark plugs were fouled. lol but To the whole reason why we needed this thing to start so bad, its knocking. it sounds like its in the head. the owner has taken the valve covers off and there were no nicks on the valve covers and nothing looked out of normal.

The knock happens at around 2krpms-4krpms, we rev'd the motor to were it was knocking and started pulling the plugs off the coils and the knocking stopped when we pulled number 3. so what ever is making the noise is coming from there. It doesnt sound like rod knock, so What are our other options, all i can come up with is maybe a broken piston pin, or maybe a broken valve spring or retaner?