1JZ is sluggish and won't rev past 6k?

zokustyle

Feb 11, 2008
Blaine, WA
It reaaally struggles to make it to 6k. that's WOT, and it still only creeps. once it makes it there, it's like it just won't rev any higher.

coils seem to be alright, plugs are gapped correctly since they're the ones it came with. Only thing I can come up with is that I wired the O2 sensor incorrectly.

str8_6

master yuepeng
Mar 14, 2007
wa
the o2 sensor shouldnt really matter if you are just free reving at idle.

if you go real slow up to 6k does it still breakup? has it ever done this? what'd you do/how was the weather? before this happened?

zokustyle

Feb 11, 2008
Blaine, WA
str8_6;1142978 said:
the o2 sensor shouldnt really matter if you are just free reving at idle.

if you go real slow up to 6k does it still breakup? has it ever done this? what'd you do/how was the weather? before this happened?

it doesn't really breakup, it just revs very slowly and once it makes it to about 5500-6000, it just won't rev any higher.

this is the first time it's ran in my car, so I really don't have any other accounts to go off.

weather was like 50's/60's, sunny.

Turbo Drifter

Dec 8, 2005
Surrey, BC Canada
zokustyle;1143741 said:
Both.

Today I revved it and tried holding it at 6k, but it broke up, stumbled, and just fell on its face and died.

Check TPS, CPS and crank angle sensor wiring and then make sure the TPS is set up following the TSRM. I would also make sure the MAP sensor is working right.

Jeremy

zokustyle

Feb 11, 2008
Blaine, WA
Turbo Drifter;1143913 said:
Check TPS, CPS and crank angle sensor wiring and then make sure the TPS is set up following the TSRM. I would also make sure the MAP sensor is working right.

Jeremy

wiring is intact and fine for all, clips are on tight.

I don't have a TSRM, so as I search for one, how does the TSRM say to set up the TPS?

zokustyle

Feb 11, 2008
Blaine, WA
viperkillertt;1144739 said:
how are the plugs? I had one bad plug and she was pretty disapointing to drive. It took me 3 months to figure it out that one of my plugs was miss gapped.

plugs should be fine, it ran great in the front clip with the same plugs.
maybe 1 or more are fouled?

and you wouldn't happen to still be in bellingham, would you?

porsches4lunch

Sep 11, 2007
Miami
zokustyle;1144899 said:

have you found the problem?

zokustyle;1144899 said:

Yup, of course:)
good rainy weather:)

All i know is that you definitely should double check them. My car seemed like it ran fine,b ut damn, it really took a lot to make her rev high. one of the plugs had no gap, so basically i was running on 5 cylinders. new plugs and my problem was fixed.

zokustyle

Feb 11, 2008
Blaine, WA
viperkillertt;1145030 said:
Yup, of course:)
good rainy weather:)

All i know is that you definitely should double check them. My car seemed like it ran fine,b ut damn, it really took a lot to make her rev high. one of the plugs had no gap, so basically i was running on 5 cylinders. new plugs and my problem was fixed.

and it was nice and sunny yesterday... we'll have to get in touch sometime, I'm only 20 minutes away from you. :)

but yeah, it sounds a lot like it's running on <6 cylinders.
sounds sort of like a 7M. :/

I'll replace the plugs and see.
will 2J or 7M spark plugs work?
I have a set of iridiums from my 7M that I KNOW are good.

and no porsches4lunch, I haven't found the problem yet.

zokustyle;1145248 said:
and it was nice and sunny yesterday... we'll have to get in touch sometime, I'm only 20 minutes away from you. :)

Yeah, i couldn't tell until i pulled them out. It had a slight misfire every few rotations, but that was all. I drive to Burlington on Saturday afternoons to work in the best buy

Turbo Drifter

Dec 8, 2005
Surrey, BC Canada
zokustyle;1145248 said:

Best plugs I have used are NGK 6097's do not last long at high power levels but there cheap.

I too am about 20min from you as well and have had a 7m,1j and now 2j so if there is any advice you need let me know.

Did you extend the harness? Make sure you do not have any problems there. Are you running stock injectors? Do you have a wide band A/F guage?

Did you set up the TPS yet?

I would go over all the wiring and make sure you do not have any bad wiring.

Jeremy

zokustyle

Feb 11, 2008
Blaine, WA
Turbo Drifter;1145646 said:
Best plugs I have used are NGK 6097's do not last long at high power levels but there cheap.

I too am about 20min from you as well and have had a 7m,1j and now 2j so if there is any advice you need let me know.

Did you extend the harness? Make sure you do not have any problems there. Are you running stock injectors? Do you have a wide band A/F guage?

Did you set up the TPS yet?

I would go over all the wiring and make sure you do not have any bad wiring.

Jeremy

Harness was extended and modded for JZX81 into MX83 wiring, and is all in order. I am running stock injectors. And no, I don't have a wideband A/F gauge.

TPS hasn't been touched yet.

Would this problem have a possibility of being created by a problem with fuel pressure/fuel pump not having enough voltage?

I wired the fuel pump to the tail lights as a switch, and I have a feeling it's not receiving enough voltage.