1jz headers

marks332

Mar 12, 2012
Yorktown, VA
Does anyone know of some good exhaust headers for the 1jz? I don't want any racing headers or anything crazy, I just want something a little higher in quality and performance so if anyone knows a good one let me know. Thanks.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Have never come across any that weren't custom fabricated AND high quality myself.

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Well you'd have to really do some searching for a custom setup...with all due respect, it's not worth it when you cant really run much more than 12psi on stock twins safely. I do know, however, where you could get a sweet single turbo manifold ;)

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Orion ZyGarian;1887467 said:
No kidding? Nice! Are you running a nice Y-pipe or what? It's not so much the boost that kills them, but the heat.

It has a 3inch exhaust all the way back including y pipe

It's also tuned and on pump gas. Has a big core radiator and 16inch fan. Vis carbon hood with open vents.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Occasionally you'll see some manifolds pop up to run a Garret GT25 or 28 turbo in the classifieds, once in a while a KKK setup will pop up for sale, but for stock twins, run stock manifolds. You're probably going to want to upgrade to a modern turbo sooner or later anyway. :)

Alternatively, have someone fab up some for you.

87supramario

Jul 15, 2011
Niagara falls
Bumping this back to surface. I'm curious if anybody has made headers for the stock twins and to see if the factory exhaust manifolds are restrictive. I have a pair of GT28RS wheeled CT12A twins (each compressor blades are 1/4" larger than factory) and I will be starting a upgraded intake arch & expansion chambered 'Y-pipe' this winter. It has been proven that the cast aluminum intake piping, merge pipe and Y-pipe are restrictive, but I have yet to hear about the exhaust manifolds.

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
The exhaust manifolds for the stock twins are so short that for someone to make tubular headers, they'd 100% have to relocate the turbos, which means custom merge pipe, custom downpipe, etc.

I don't really see the point. That's a lot of custom fab just to keep the CT housings.

I opted to upgrade my twins (through driftmotion) and keep the stock manifolds. I just did some mild porting on a spare pair of the stock manis and and am going to have them ceramic coated as well before they go on.

You CAN get a custom Y pipe (from back of turbos to downpipe)

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
They make a X-pipe for the 1JZ, specifically the soarer/supra (jza70) The only option I found though was to go to ebay, the product was stainless steel and the seams/welds were all clean but make sure you go over them for fragments yourself bc they quality control isn't there I just got lucky. Another company legitly produced them first but got put out of business because of replicas on the market.

They fit perfect on my JDM car but I also heatwrapped the exhaust after to help disperse heat since I deleted the factory heatshield. My plan was to get turbo blankets to fit over my rebuilt turbo's but it doesn't seem to be needed. Wish I had an egt gauge on first but it made a noticeable difference.