1jz head gasket?

cbutler

Jan 31, 2006
Regina, SK
So, just got my car out of storage yesterday and took for a first drive. After an hour or so of easy driving I opened it up on the highway and right as I hit full boost (~18psi) it was like I hit fuel cut and lost power (have HKS FCD so I know that's not actually what it was just same feeling). After that the car is no longer making boost and when I do open up the throttle it goes very lean. My girlfriend was behind me when this happened and said there was some white smoke so I was thinking head gasket but no milky oil or anything like that. I checked all intercooler piping, couplers, etc. and it seems like everything is solid.
Anybody have any insight on what to check next?

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
blown turbo seal/gasket, check your oil for coolant or your coolant for oil if it's clean it was your turbo not headgasket. My original twins smoked bad when they leaked oil. It made boost on one but the other was doing nothing but pushing oil into my intercooler, thats the other thing you could check too if it's oil in your IC piping it's definately not a headgasket.

cbutler

Jan 31, 2006
Regina, SK
should have specified but I have a DM 60-1 single kit along with the intercooler and piping and their 46mm wastegate.

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
cbutler;1936617 said:
should have specified but I have a DM 60-1 single kit along with the intercooler and piping and their 46mm wastegate.

ct26s are prone to failure, ask grandavi, he had a ct57 from dm failed, bought a 60-1 from someone locally, bam more problems. lol

JPsToyota

Sep 17, 2008
East-Central, FL
1JZ headgaskets do fail. The only symptom I had was a little overheating on long cruises, which I put down to a 20 year old radiator and half-working hydro-fan because everyone told me it couldn't be the headgasket.

Well that theory went out the window when I was having a little fun light to light with a new Camaro and all of a sudden the car started breaking up badly at full throttle. I could barely get it home without overheating it badly. Headgasket had finally bit the dust.

Not saying that's your problem, but it's more of a possibility than most people say.

525gte

Sep 19, 2011
hoquiam
Do a compression test.. or fill the piston with like 120psi of air and look for bubbles in the water

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Beals;1936682 said:
ct26s are prone to failure, ask grandavi, he had a ct57 from dm failed, bought a 60-1 from someone locally, bam more problems. lol

seoul4korea;1936857 said:
I also had a ct26 that went bad.

He is not talking about a ct.

Can do a block test and compression or leak down test to rule out bhg.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Beals;1936682 said:

seoul4korea;1936857 said:
I also had a ct26 that went bad.

He is not talking about a ct.

Can do a block test and compression or leak down test to rule out bhg.

cbutler

Jan 31, 2006
Regina, SK
thanks for the replies. The oil was not milky at all and coolant was still up to level so I'm thinking that probably isn't the issue.
Tonight I took off the turbo looking for a blown turbo gasket or other major exhaust leak. Gaskets seem all good, some of the manifold bolts were a bit loose but I don't think that's my issue. Inspecting the turbo, the internals seem all good but there is good size crack on the turbine housing weld. I'm thinking this is likely my problem?
IMG_0002.JPGIMG_0003.JPG

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
That looks like shit. my friend jb welded his manifold, lasted two months, started his car up went to go back in his house to grab something came out and thought he got shot, the thing blew up with a huge pop noise. Idk what that is but good chance it's only going to get worse. I would definately replace my turbo if it looked like that, dont want your IC chewed up or your motor.