1JZ-GTE Ignition

steve1479

Oct 9, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
So I planned up upgrading my ignition a little bit, my question is......

What kind of spark plugs should I put into it?

I've read through other posts (don't worry, I DID use the search feature) but I got a few different answers.

I don't plan on doing anything to my fuel system (pump, injectors, turbos, etc...) in terms of gaining massive power. All upgrades I'm doing on the car to affect performance will be done to create as much HP as possible without touching the fuel system and still keep the car running healthy (intakes, ignition, exhaust, etc....)

So with that said, what's a good plug to put in for someone who isn't planning on making HUGE (400+) hp and would like to make everything run just that tad bit smoother and healthier?

Preferably iridium tipped & and a heat range colder unless someone can give me a good reason to avoid it.

Last edited:

steve1479

Oct 9, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
That works for me, the only thing I was concerned about was things I read about people with higher HP 1JZ's. Saying that with iridium plugs, the cylinder wont go dead if pre-ignition or misfire occurrs and therefore causing more problems, as opposed to a ceramic coated plug that would melt and cause it to go dead?

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
steve1479;1428095 said:
That works for me, the only thing I was concerned about was things I read about people with higher HP 1JZ's. Saying that with iridium plugs, the cylinder wont go dead if pre-ignition or misfire occurrs and therefore causing more problems, as opposed to a ceramic coated plug that would melt and cause it to go dead?

you mean platinum? i saw it happen but not on 1JZ . Turbo UZ had it happen but think becuase of lack of good tune ,wrong compression and lack of knock sensors. correct me some one if i'm wrong. but thats not spark plugs fault. platinum works on turbo cars, thats for sure.

steve1479

Oct 9, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Pernilongo;1428215 said:
you mean platinum? i saw it happen but not on 1JZ . Turbo UZ had it happen but think becuase of lack of good tune ,wrong compression and lack of knock sensors. correct me some one if i'm wrong. but thats not spark plugs fault. platinum works on turbo cars, thats for sure.

All right, just making sure (better safe than sorry)

I'll be picking up 6 of the iridium tipped plugs that you mentioned before and giving those a try in El Supro.

Thanks again