1JZ-GTE Clutch Fan Setups

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
I've read various posts about which clutch/fan/shroud to use, but I want to hear from people who have done various setups about clearance, etc.

Car is a JZA70 TT-R, currently has the factory hydrofan setup, which isn't working and I want to put in a clutch fan setup. Water pump and pulley is no problem, car has stock JZA70 radiator.

I just want to make sure what will clear everything before ordering it. There are a few other things I have read about using the 2JZ-GE clutch/fan or the LS400 (Year?) clutch/fan.

What fits, what have you used?

Jeff

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
This is the list I was thinking of using:

2JZ-GTE Supra Water Pump/Pulley (Correct)
1UZ-FE LS400 Fan Clutch (Know many people use this)
7M-GTE Supra Fan Blade/Fan Shroud (This is what people have said to use with the LS400 clutch, some people say use LS400 fan?)

Thanks again!

Jeff

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
The GE clutch fan will work, but the clearance is very tight. A friend of mine is running one and if his radiator hose flexes the wrong way the fan hits it. As I understand it, the clutch itself is the same, but the GTE fan blade is thinner and should fit better.

The problem with the LS400 clutch fan is that it is meant to rotate in the opposite direction, and therefore will be locked up all the time. If you don't mind this, it fits well with the 7m-gte blade (I don't know about the ls400 one).

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
How could it be designed to rotate the opposite direction? The engine spins the same direction and the clutch is belt driven, so there is no gearing to change rotation...

Jeff

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
I'm not sure how they implemented it, I haven't looked at the setup closely. However, if you look at the blades on the ls400 fan, they are angled the opposite direction from the JZ blades. Perhaps they move air in opposite directions.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
Sorry, I shouldn't post before I've woken up I guess, yes it does spin the opposite direction on the LS400 (driven by the smooth/outside of the belt), however all that means to me is that you shouldn't use an LS400 fan blade on a 1JZ/2JZ as it would be pushing and not pulling air. I've never seen a Toyota fan clutch that only locked up in 1 direction, they usually work the same in both directions...

I just went out and checked an LS400 we have here, it spins relatively easily in both directions when cold and is locked up when hot, seems to be the desired effect to me. Obviously I didn't test it while it was running, but I tried cold, let it warm up and tried again. It may not work as perfectly I guess, but the thermostat should still allow the engine to get up to and stay at the correct temperature.

What setup have you run on a 1JZ before with success?

Jeff

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I was talking with Aaron from DriftMotion and he is running the fan blade and clutch from the JZ Supra.

Go to his site, type in fan blade and search. Then type in fan clutch and search. You will see which ones I am talking about because it states they can be used with each other.

I asked him about interference issues and he said he has been using it for years with his Koyo radiator, so I placed an order for it along with everything else to rebuild this blow headgasket 1JZ in a clean 88 body with all 89 pieces on it and an extremely clean interior for two grand. :)

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
Jeff Lange;1624555 said:
This is the list I was thinking of using:

2JZ-GTE Supra Water Pump/Pulley (Correct)
1UZ-FE LS400 Fan Clutch (Know many people use this)
7M-GTE Supra Fan Blade/Fan Shroud (This is what people have said to use with the LS400 clutch, some people say use LS400 fan?)

Thanks again!

Jeff

Here's what I got running with a 7M stock rad.

2JZ-GTE Water pump/Pulley
2JZ-GTE Fan clutch
2JZ-GTE Fan blade
7M Fan Shroud

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I plan on running Aaron's setup.

2JZ-GTE Waterpump/Pulley
1JZ Fan Blade
1JZ Fan Clutch
7M Shroud

All are on his website and he is using it with an Aluminum Koyo radiator.

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
Its possible I had a bad LS400 clutch when I ran one, it does fit well, but mine ran full speed all the time.

The 2jz-gte setup works well too. (Which is identical to the 1jz-gte fan clutch setup on soarers)

If you shimmed the GE fan blade off the clutch by even the slightest amount, it would work as well. As I mentioned, I have a friend running a GE fan blade and it does clear, but just barely.

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
Im running

GTE Clutch
GE Fan blade
Koyo radiator

p1625216_1.jpg

you have to shim the clutch out a little, as well as a little on the fan blade in order to clear the water neck, but plenty of clearance otherwise

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Jeff Lange;1624761 said:
Sorry, I shouldn't post before I've woken up I guess, yes it does spin the opposite direction on the LS400 (driven by the smooth/outside of the belt), however all that means to me is that you shouldn't use an LS400 fan blade on a 1JZ/2JZ as it would be pushing and not pulling air. I've never seen a Toyota fan clutch that only locked up in 1 direction, they usually work the same in both directions...

I just went out and checked an LS400 we have here, it spins relatively easily in both directions when cold and is locked up when hot, seems to be the desired effect to me. Obviously I didn't test it while it was running, but I tried cold, let it warm up and tried again. It may not work as perfectly I guess, but the thermostat should still allow the engine to get up to and stay at the correct temperature.

I can also concur with this. I have the LS400 clutch with the 10 blade 7M fan on my 2JZ. It does indeed operate at a higher speed at all temps and generates considerably more noise. It does spin by hand, with equal friction in both directions. I'm not sure if it's unidirectional, or if it just has a higher viscosity fluid, but it is noticeable and it is annoying.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
Dirgle, so it is operating at a higher speed, but is it MAX speed all the time, or just higher than you'd like at low temps and then even HIGHER speed at hot temps?

Okay, well I guess really the last pic I'd like to see is a 2JZ-GTE clutch and 2JZ-GTE fan blade setup, or (and I don't know if it will fit on there) a 2JZ-GTE clutch with a 7M-GTE fan blade?

Also Bigzavs, which upper water neck is that? Stock modified, or from something else?

Jeff

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
I don't believe it's at MAX speed, since the clutch does move realitivly freely. Unfortunantly I have no way of verifying for sure that it's locked up or not with the engine on.

But it does ,sound, like it is completely locked up with the engine running. It's very loud even at idle. Even on a warm engine it is still very loud, I can hear it over the exhaust at all speeds. And if I bring the engine up to 2500 RPM, I get almost 1/4 inch of forward flex off the fan blades. They are turning pretty hard.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
Interesting, haha. I know even at idle on the LS400 with the engine just started, it was moving a LOT of air on the car I looked at yesterday/2 days ago...

Would be interesting to see them side by side in an LS400 and Supra to see how they compare spinning in opposite directions.

Jeff

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Pretty interested in the outcome myself. But by the time my car is back on the road I hope to have a quieter fan solution, so I won't be able to participate in such an experiment. I'm curious non-the-less. ;)

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
Jeff Lange;1625239 said:
Also Bigzavs, which upper water neck is that? Stock modified, or from something else?

Jeff

just the stock 1JZ water neck, trimmed and welded since im single turbo

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
Jeff Lange;1625239 said:
or (and I don't know if it will fit on there) a 2JZ-GTE clutch with a 7M-GTE fan blade?

Unfortunately that combo doesn't work, I've tried. The diameter of the center piece of the 7m fan is smaller than the 2jz one, so it won't fit over the clutch to bolt up.