1jz from a jza70 puffing white smoke after day 1 ):

Mightymousekid

Sep 22, 2010
Los Angeles, Ca
Ok the engine is amazing and full of power but just after one day it started puffing white moisty whispy smoke. Im really hoping it's not the turbos and hopefully an u2 sensor or something cheapy like that. Have you guys had this problem before? Please help me out!!!! ( :

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
U2? you mean o2? ANd no those dont puff white smoke.

oil lose? How much boost? Does it smoke all the time or only in boost or only letting off?

Mightymousekid

Sep 22, 2010
Los Angeles, Ca
Lol Yeah 02 sensor. Well it just does is randomly. Like when ill drive and stop and let it idle for about a few minutes it sometimes throw a puff of smoke and it'll be really moist and smell some what like normal exhaust fumes. But it'll run real fine. Could it be a sensor? Oh and my boost gauge wasn't connected right so I have to get that fixed so I won't know if I'm boosting right or not. Oh and I don't have my canister filter connected to the throttle body, I have it capped.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
What?

Canister filter?

It sounds like normal condensation to me, irregardless of all the other stuff.

Mightymousekid

Sep 22, 2010
Los Angeles, Ca
The canister filter on the mk3, I think it's for the fuel fumes??? Idk lol. But yeah it might be, but sometimes I won't have any and sometimes I just get random puffs. Could it be because of my hollow catalytic converter!?? Lol. Whoops!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
No not normal and not from any of that. Its either oil or coolant burning. So are you losing either of that?

Mightymousekid

Sep 22, 2010
Los Angeles, Ca
I'll check tomorrow, I think it's water since it's real moist. Someone told me to change the pcv valve. When we checked the oils there was barely any oil on them. Also when im on high rpm I get a howling sound which I think is coming from my turbos. Is there anyway to replace the seals like on the ct 26 or will I need some new turbos?? ):

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Howling is turbo death whine possibly. Once the 1j turbos go thats it. That also could be the source of the smoke.

Take the pcv valve out and shake it. IF you hear something shaking around its fine. IF you hear nothing replace it with a 2jz one.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Stock bov? You prolly wont hear it.

Ya pull the intake pipes off and check for play and see if there is oil coming out and same for the exhaust. Kinda should have checked the condition of them before the engine goes in as there a pain to do when the engine is in the car.

Mightymousekid

Sep 22, 2010
Los Angeles, Ca
I did, there was no play at all. I did see some oil but not Enough to be worried about. Oh ok, I thought it was like the 7ms. So is there anyway to fix this? Without getting a new set?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Cant say. Depends how much you boost them and at how much psi and how bad they are. That is if they really are bad.

HitmansEVO

Dropper
Nov 19, 2008
Missouri
Mightymousekid;1719114 said:
The canister filter on the mk3, I think it's for the fuel fumes??? Idk lol. But yeah it might be, but sometimes I won't have any and sometimes I just get random puffs. Could it be because of my hollow catalytic converter!?? Lol. Whoops!

I believe you need a vented gas cap to vent pressure in the tank if you cap that off . I don't know if thats causing your problems but thought i'd throw it out there.

Mightymousekid

Sep 22, 2010
Los Angeles, Ca
hvyman;1719160 said:
Cant say. Depends how much you boost them and at how much psi and how bad they are. That is if they really are bad.
Oh well then I'll stay on stock and not floor it. Maybe it's cuz of my 3in y pipe and DP??

HitmansEVO;1719199 said:
I believe you need a vented gas cap to vent pressure in the tank if you cap that off . I don't know if thats causing your problems but thought i'd throw it out there.
Really? Hmm let
Me try and get some vacuum hose today and connect it and see of that'll help. Maybe excessive vacuum causes it to spool sooner and faster?

suprayo

Sep 9, 2009
Vancouver, WA
www.myspace.com
Blown turbo seals wont blow white smoke. It will be dark blue almost black. When mine blew it was also smoked constantly. Pull off your intercooler piping and look for oil. Keep an eye on your fluid levels and see if your losing any.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
when the turbo seal on my 200sx went, i left a blue smoke screnn that would make James bond proud. once its gone you are now "oil injected" at boost,

Mightymousekid

Sep 22, 2010
Los Angeles, Ca
Yeah guys I ended fixing an exhaust leak that I had right on the y pipe and magically all the smoke went away, go figure. Oh and I never had no oil leaks or nothing, was wondering if it was the amsoil that I was using. Thanks a lot though!