1jz fan options

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
Having a hard time getting a decent fan setup for my 1jz. I had 2 12" electric fans, until one died yesterday while at a drift event. I noticed some power loss, the stock temp gauge hadn't moved, so I went back to the pits and my laser thermometer read 217* on the waterneck...

I had a Driftmotion modified LS400 fan clutch sitting here which I had been planning to try out. Put on my 7mgte blade and bolted it up. Complete waste of money. The clutch is locked constantly. I'm scared to rev it over 3K because it's roaring like a hurricane. If anyone has a decent 1jz fan setup, mechanical preferably, I'd like to see a few pics.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
jake8790;2014896 said:
Having a hard time getting a decent fan setup for my 1jz. I had 2 12" electric fans, until one died yesterday while at a drift event. I noticed some power loss, the stock temp gauge hadn't moved, so I went back to the pits and my laser thermometer read 217* on the waterneck...

I had a Driftmotion modified LS400 fan clutch sitting here which I had been planning to try out. Put on my 7mgte blade and bolted it up. Complete waste of money. The clutch is locked constantly. I'm scared to rev it over 3K because it's roaring like a hurricane. If anyone has a decent 1jz fan setup, mechanical preferably, I'd like to see a few pics.

I don't have any pictures, but I've found what seems to be the perfect JZ fan setup.

1JZ-GTE VVTi Water Pump
7M-GTE Fan Clutch
7M-GTE Fan Blade

Everything bolts together, everything fits perfectly, and clearance is good. The tough part is finding a 1JZ-GTE VVTi water pump. :)

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Just use a 2jzge fan and clutch off a sc300. Just have to trim the blades so they dont hit the water neck.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If the fan hits the water neck then yes. Then just trim it down. Easiest to make a template after one clears and then mark and cut. That way there all the same.

kornfedmk3

Dec 9, 2011
des moines, IA
I switched from a mechanical to electric. Ford contour fans flow over 3200cfm my engine runs cooler or even the same as the mechanical. Can find them at every junkyard have a built in shroud around the fans and fits perfect on the radiator I got two relays running to it both fans constantly running I love it. I know a couple of my buddies with high horsepower supra using the same fans.

rdaigle44

Mar 6, 2014
Tinley Park, IL
Has anyone ever tried to run both mechanical and electric. I DON'T mean on the same side of the rad. I mean a smaller electric fan mounted in front of the rad and then the mechanical on the back, bolted to the engine obviously. Seems to me this would a cheaper alternative and could probably use the stock fan clutch and blade.