1jz cuts out in higher rpm

Status
Not open for further replies.

supramike7m

92 teal-wn turbo
Jan 29, 2006
prescott, Arizona
hey guys been having a problem with my one j. i just installed a set of mkiv 550's and an afpr kit from dirtmotion. the car idles fine and drives real good normal drivng but when i go wot it cuts out in the higher rpm. the first test drive it would cut out at like 5500, i lowered my fuel pressure and that seemed to help a little but still cutting out so i lowered it some more and i can get to about 6500 rpm now. but im getting down to like 20 psi fuel pressure. its it ok to keep lowering the pressure or is there something else i should check out? im on stock twins with intake exhuast and intercoller/hardpipes and now afpr/550's

10secdream

Got Boost?
Sep 11, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
supramike7m;1403192 said:
hey guys been having a problem with my one j. i just installed a set of mkiv 550's and an afpr kit from dirtmotion. the car idles fine and drives real good normal drivng but when i go wot it cuts out in the higher rpm. the first test drive it would cut out at like 5500, i lowered my fuel pressure and that seemed to help a little but still cutting out so i lowered it some more and i can get to about 6500 rpm now. but im getting down to like 20 psi fuel pressure. its it ok to keep lowering the pressure or is there something else i should check out? im on stock twins with intake exhuast and intercoller/hardpipes and now afpr/550's

Is it boost or fuel cut? How much boost are you running?

supramike7m

92 teal-wn turbo
Jan 29, 2006
prescott, Arizona
10secdream;1403199 said:
Is it boost or fuel cut? How much boost are you running?

i have a greddy profec e-01 but it is off right now. not controlling boost at all its at like 12 psi. and i dont have any afc right now. that will be next week.

supramike7m

92 teal-wn turbo
Jan 29, 2006
prescott, Arizona
can i keep lowering fuel pressure and see if it keeps getting better? not sure if i shold lower it that much. but my afr are good now according to my aem uego. doesnt feel like fuel cut at all. i guess its more like its BOGGING out and sputtering. seems like its drowning out, thats why i lowered the pressure and it seems to help.

Last edited:

supramike7m

92 teal-wn turbo
Jan 29, 2006
prescott, Arizona
i checked them a while back and they seem ok. it just started happening after the injectors and apfr installed. too much fuel at high rpm you think? cause like i said lowering it helps. probably gonna need a fuel tuner?

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
The coil pack stems do crack. And the cracks can be very hard to see. Since you have larger injectors and a fuel tuner would be highly recommended as it will allow you to take full advantage of your new injectors. I wouldn't recommend turning down your fuel pressure, especially that low. I'd put it back to between 42 and 43 PSI.

PM sent

slideways2004

Oct 7, 2008
Houston
10secdream;1403816 said:
You absolutely need something to tune with or your car will be pig rich. Those 550's are 33% percent bigger over stock 1JZ injectors. No wonder you are having problems.

+1. your ecu thinks you still have the stock 370's in there so its dumping a lot more fuel than you need.

also turn your fuel pres. to about 43 psi

Mk3Tmoney

Apr 7, 2009
Alberta
Check your spark plugs or fuel pump. I had the same problem with my 1j that went away after I changed the plugs. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.