1JZ cooling fan- running out of options. Help?

Dingoboy

Dec 25, 2009
Tampa, FL
OK, I've been searching the heck out of this topic, with little luck. I can't find a cooling fan option that will actually fit my 1JZ-GTE MKIII. My car has a Koyo radiator and a Greddy intercooler with a 2.5" hard pipe kit (all on the car when I got it, no indication of the brand or source of the piping). It's the IC piping that seems to be the biggest issue.

Had to replace the hydro fan with a mechanical fan. Went the 2J fan & water pump route. Fan blades, though, were smacking against the IC piping on the passenger's side.

Sent back the fan clutch & blade assembly. Ordered a Flex-a-Lite 400-410 low profile dual 12" electric setup. But that is being prevented from fitting due to the IC piping on the driver's side.

Beginning to think I may have no choice but to re-pipe the IC, but there's not much room to move that piping, so I'm not sure even that will work.

My mechanic has been doing the install, and I'll be going to his shop after work today to have a look & see exactly what the issue is. Anyone out there with a 2.5" hard pip kit & Koyo rad have any clues for me?

I'll see if I can get him to hold the fans in place while I look and snap some pics, and try to post them tonight. This mechanic isn't one to overlook options like adjusting the IC piping, etc. if possible. I am beginning to wonder if I am going to have to find a working hydro fan. (Please, lawd, no!)

I have just written up this 2j pump mod & like yourself, I have a Koyo & that was causing fan installation issues.

I ended up getting a pair of individual 12" fans which fitted perfectly, with individual fans you have more options mounting wise such as putting them diagonal instead of next to each other.

Thread HERE

Fan setup:

p1563922_1.jpg

p1563922_2.jpg

I'll do another write up at some stage about how I control these fans. I managed to modify the stock hydrofan ECU to continue to switch them on & off as well as adding a second system that turns the fans on slow once the water temp gets to 40'C which provides the same constant cooling the hydro fan did as, this always spun round when the engine was running.

The fans were just generic fans from the net.

geartech

Mar 11, 2010
Birmingham, AL
If you could I like to see how you modded the hydro fan controller to drive the new efans. That would make for a nice mod instead of wiring in a temp sensor and new relays to control the fans.

Dingoboy

Dec 25, 2009
Tampa, FL
Well, the situation was tighter than I had expected. The driver's side IC piping is actually pinched by about 1/4" between the accessory belt & the fan shroud. Decided to give it up, get a single core Koyo rad & get rid of the dual core. I'll post that up for sale here once I have it out, cleaned up & get pics.

Attachments

• 2010-05-11 16.46.03&.jpg
    2010-05-11 16.46.03&.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 41

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
You should try and go back to hydrofan, its one of the best options out there by far. Fantastic performance and great clearance. I'm running 3" piping on my car with a koyo. From what I see, you need to redo at least part of your piping, the hard pipe from the throttle body to the part where it makes a 180 to the IC should be 1 piece. then the U bend to the IC another one. You have that coupler right by the AC compressor and its killing your clearance. I have attached some pics of how I did mine.

The fans shown in post 2 are great on clearance but I'm confident they wont come near the performance of what you had. Those fans don't cover near enough area to not have a shroud for the rest of the radiator.

Edit: going to a smaller radiator is a bad idea. There are plenty of ways to make it work. Redoing all of your IC piping would probably be the best/most correct route instead of getting a smaller radiator to make up for bad IC piping. Did your hydrofan start leaking? Plenty of ways to fix it, you can still get parts for it.

Attachments

• parts 080..jpg
    parts 080..jpg
    332.2 KB · Views: 31
  • parts 129..jpg
    parts 129..jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 30

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
I am running the perma cool 16" 2900+ cfm fan the amp draw is under 10 amps I am using the factory CDS fuse that was for the original electric fans.
For switching them on, one of the outputs from the standalone does the trick.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I'm running a PWR radiator and Mishimoto fan shroud/fans combo. The shroud and fans are fairly thin, which is good, since the PWR is probably the biggest radiator I've seen in a Mk3... As for control, it's just got a temp sensor with relay tapped into the water neck before the upper rad hose, and a manual switch to override it (sometimes it doesn't wanna turn on the fans until it's too hot for my comfort, usually when idling) when I want.

Fitment is good, stock IC pipes fit fine for the most part, but I'll be moving my battery and running the pipes around the radiator, the turbo side of things will likely be routed either the 7m holes in the fender, or just straight down and into the IC, depending on the turbo I get.