1jz complete build questions

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
so got some money save up and would love to throw it into the 1jay, does anybody have recommendations on parts i should use? now some questions, how much can the stock crank hold? and i read the r154 can hold 600hp, how much can the martian crawler hold? and what about the rear end? what about a street friendly clutch?/pressure plate?

the build will be done by my grandpa and me, and some help from the local JZ wizard who has a 750hp SC300.

much thanks in advance, the more advice the better,

Zach

Last edited:

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
You not very specific in what parts you want? From the experts ive talked to for my 1j, the stock crank is good for abut 750-800hp. Fully built marlin crawler R154 about 700hp, and the rear i have yet to see be destroyed... Clutch is easy, damn near any twin plate should be fine. You get what you pay for with a clutch, dont cheap out.

If you build the engine right, like get the rods shot peened, balanced and lightened, crank knife edged, and throw in some cp pistons, the bottom end is ready for damn near anything you throw at it. Then the head just needs all the brian crower goodies and your ready to rock!

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
thank you, i plan on having the block dipped in acid and cryo treated, bored and honed, having the bottom end lightened and balanced. the goods. im looking at Tomei Connection Rods, what are good bearings that will laugh at what i throw at them? and je or cp pistons are the one i get recommended. looking at the CPs on driftmotion, i will get that titan super dampener crank pulley, and the Boost Logic Modified 2JZGTE Oil Pump, the head will be ported polished and filled with brian crower springs and retainers, not quite sure on cams tho. my car will be the weekend warrior but i still want it very streetable, so are 262s the answer? ive seen different 262s with 8.xx mm of lift and others with 9.xx mm, which way should i go? and last thing i can think of is valves. are titanium valves the way to go or another material? thanks for the input.

now since i saw "audio guru" under your name pbasil, what speakers will fit in my 89 without cutting or fabbing my mounts? i saw that someone had 5 inch polks that fit in all the cars pod without trouble. what do you have? ::toothless::

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Clevites/ACL For Bearings

Tomei for rods will cost an ARM and a leg. There is a guy on SF selling a 1JZ Rod set from Carillo he waited six weeks for. Could have Eagle make you a custom set after you send them a stock rod.

CP Pistons. Proven to work in many high HP JZ motors.

You dont need any crank pulley, the stock one will work fine. If you are trying for dress up, okay, but if not, a new stock one works fine. The ATI/Boost Logic are rebranded ATI.

Get a SP Racing Oil Pump or PHR Oil Pump. I prefer the SP one.
http://www.spracingonline.com/store/SP_Modified_Toyota_Oil_Pump_93-98_Supra/3622
http://www.spracingonline.com/store/SP_Modified_Toyota_Oil_Pump_93-98_Supra/3622

Get BC 264 cams, they are the best bang for the buck and very street friendly cams. Actually, BC springs, retainers and cams are a good setup. Click the link in my signature for the info on the valves. BC discontinued their 1JZ exhaust valves, I believe intake valves are still available.

The valve info will be added when a mod edits it. Should be within the next few hours.

Last edited:

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
thank you so much iboughtasupra, i heard good things about acl bearings, and thanks on showing me that oil pump. whats a good price on rods? i found tomeis for $920

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I know Carillos have been proven past a 1000 but if you found LEGIT Tomei Rods for 920, you can get them. Contact Eagle and see how much they would run off a set of 1JZ rods for.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
We have a member on here selling a set of Carillos that are already ready to go, price is nice too. I almost bought them, but went a different route with the head, so I won't be revving past 8k. I can vouch for the Brian Crower 264 cams being VERY streetable in our engines. I've daily driven my car for 2.5 years now, without a hitch. They're a little lacking for power until you get around 2500rpm, but that's rarely (if ever) a problem.

My car dyno'd 320rwhp with just the cams, porting, and turbo back exhaust. Everything else on the car was stock. This was being run through some 275/40/17 tires, which aren't exactly light too... and a stock airbox... and at only 12psi. Most other 1j's with stock twins seem to lay down around 280-300rwhp. Power doesn't drop off at stock rev limit either. :)

Now... the question that hasn't been asked: what are your intentions with this car? To me, response is king, so I went with a mid-range focus rather than a super high revving, monster turbo engine. While that would be great for highway and drag racing, I don't do much of either of those.

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
yes im building it for the high revs, pure horsepower, (typical built dyno queen supra) itll be the weekend warrior, on the track tons, and showing the locals the power of toyota ;)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Nothing wrong with that, to give up a couple thousand rpm of low end torque in exchange for 2-3k at the top end... :evil2:

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
ya, i think a high revving 1jay will be more beneficial then trying to get some torques out of it , i could always get my fix for some low end gruntin in my papas gto, big ol stroked 455, haha :burnout:

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
needing some expert advice on gas ports on pistons, lateral or vertical? and what my ring set up should be for my high rev high boost application? should i gap my second ring larger than my top ring to get a vacuum effect?